ThirdRailForum

• July 28, 2017, 05:05:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: War Profiteering  (Read 1071 times)

plus minus reset

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
War Profiteering
« on: October 14, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »

This is an issue that I feel does not get enough play in the media. I surmise that the average American has no clue as to exactly how and to what extent our tax dollars are being filtered to these defense companies in addition to the funds allocated to the military. Why is this not a larger issue for concern? Is it that so many people employed with these companies are making what would appear to be a profit themselves, that nobody really cares enough to look into the situation deeper or call more attention to it?
There is some really shifty stuff going on with theses companies. They base their operations out of financial institutions outside of the US so the contracts the US government pays them for is exempt from tax policies like unemployment, medicare, and social security. Because they're based financially in other countries, they're not obligated to provide the American employees with the same benefits as far as health insurance and Workman's compensation and instead are paying these people plumped up salaries that they wouldn't otherwise receive here, essentially duping them into thinking they're making decent wages.

War Profits

The Army Criminal Investigation Command has conducted 168 probes over the past three years. Almost 100 of those cases are pending.

One of them involves questions about whether defense contractor Combat Support Associates, which has made $2 billion-plus supporting troops in Iraq, has overcharged the U.S. government, according to a story by the Associated Press.

"Combat Support Associates was formed in 1998 by AECOM Government Services of Fort Worth, Texas, and two other companies _ Research and Analysis Maintenance of El Paso, Texas, and Space Mark Inc. of Alaska.

"In July 1999, Combat Support Associates was selected for a Camp Doha support contract, a 10-year deal potentially worth $547 million. In March 2003, when U.S. forces invaded Iraq, demand for the company's maintenance and repair services increased dramatically as bases across Kuwait became hubs of activity for American troops.

"The value of the contract ballooned as well: $2.2 billion has been spent between 1999 and 2008 on the Combat Support Associates contract."

The AP said the company is cooperating with the investigation.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/government-inc/2008/10/httpwwwwashingtontimescomnews2.html

RizenPhoeniz

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RizenPhoeniz probably just rolled in here.
  • Relentless, Focused, Determined
Re: War Profiteering
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »

We where warned a long time ago to beware of the military industrial complex. Unfortunately the american public has the attention span of a gerbil on crack in the SPCA cat pen.
They are all war profiteers. You don't see Boeing donating it's profit from military contracts to charity do u?

White Rabbit

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • White Rabbit needs to post more to get noticed.White Rabbit needs to post more to get noticed.White Rabbit needs to post more to get noticed.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »

No matter what political reasons are given for war, the underlying reason is always economic.

~A. J. P. Taylor

It's as old as time that the war economy is a thing of growth.

It's the ultimate governmental motivation to hammer the workers and encourage manufacturing overtime, wether it be crafting parabellum rounds or herding houswifes into sheds to paint desks with white paint to reflect the radiation.

There is still a persuasive argument that Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbour, but did nothing as he reasoned it would encourage an economic boom.

It's age old, the ancient Greeks and Romans used it too, you engender a sense of absurd patriotism and the seige mentality where people feel obliged to go the extra mile and not complain.

It was the same in England during the second world war, it's a great excuse to release bad news and sidestep issues.

"there's a war on, how can you complain about the lack of food and endless social injustice".

It's ok, we had a war, avoided the whole thing.

Plus most nations don't go to war unless, amazingly some huge natural resource is under threat.
It's okay to let a bunch of niggers die of Aids or some Slavs get ethnic cleansed as long as the opium/oil/steel/natural gas isnt effected.

All of which is overtly cynical, and that is not to say that noble conflicts don't happen, but i am of the opinion that no power base works on one level when eight will do.

I'm a peacenik hippy type and disagree with all armed conflict as a matter of principle, but i'm fairly certain if Mugabe was sitting on a thousand square miles of untapped crude, we all would have given him a slap by now.

Thats the joyless state of the planet, for all we have raped it, it has it's revenge by hoarding it's natural resources in certain locations and we are left to scrabble for them like children, justifying holding Karifs head in the toilet as a group, because he had the only available Boba Fett figure and he should let us all share it.

just cos.

I'd also add that i can't back any of the above in a strident debate, unless we alter the definition of "strident debate" to mean, "playing lots of Flying Burrito Brothers records and chugging Absolut"

War eh...what is it good for.

making fat blokes richer?

Father, father
We don't need to escalate
You see, war is not the answer
For only love can conquer hate

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 07:23:48 PM »

I like the points you've made WR. Just the other day I was privately lamenting about this "economic crisis" and how it's traditional for government to feed the people as well as the media, some over hyped situation for us to chew on while they slip the REALLY important issues onto to page 6 where nobody will notice them or think they're as serious as they actually are.

Things that make you go hmmm.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »

There has not been a "noble" conflict in my lifetime, nor do I think there ever will be. Nobility has been overshadowed by greed and power hunger.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

RizenPhoeniz

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RizenPhoeniz probably just rolled in here.
  • Relentless, Focused, Determined
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 01:26:52 AM »

There has not been a "noble" conflict in my lifetime, nor do I think there ever will be. Nobility has been overshadowed by greed and power hunger.

I have to disagree with you.

Kosovo and Somalia where two recent times that we have stepped up in an attempt to better humanity without any real national interest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 37 queries.