ThirdRailForum

• July 21, 2017, 08:56:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-Waste  (Read 1048 times)

plus minus reset

FipronilaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
E-Waste
« on: November 19, 2008, 12:15:12 AM »

Check this out.
How are we supposed to know what companies aren't doing this?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/10/video-chinas-toxic-wastelands-of-consumer-electronics-revealed

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
Re: E-Waste
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:31:31 AM »

I caught a part of that expose' a few weeks back, it's pretty fucking horrifying. But you know, as selfish as it sounds their government can't not be aware this is going on and quite frankly, I think we have enough to worry about and I'm pretty exasperated that these fucked up situations are being "allowed" and we end up having to clean up the messes.

I'm not saying that the American companies shipping shit there illegally shouldn't be dealt with... But come the fuck on, those people are working for 8 fucking dollars a day in a lethal environment and nobody there is intervening??

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Contestation probably just rolled in here.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The American Health system100+ Reply Thread - Addiction is it a disease
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »

Its a dirty reality of recycling. No one wants to pay the real cost of recycling, which in money terms is more than landfill costs. Therefore markets like this are found and used.

Its not until we accept that to recycle and to be environmentally sustainable we have to pay more, will there be anything down to stop this sort of unethical business practices 

There wouldn't be a country in the western world that isn't guilty of this form of dumping. For that is what it really is, we say we are recycling and doing the right thing and then dump our waste on third world countries, who are run by easily corruptible governments

FipronilaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Your Mom
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:00:48 PM »

Oh yeah - you can see in the video the mayor took them to some other place and showed them that nice clean looking one and then they snuck back to see what was really going on. The government clearly knows what's going on there. It's freaking sad. I wish there was a way to know who is legit and who is sending their shit illegally over the ocean. Everyone thinks they are doing the right thing by recycling when they are completely misleading everyone.

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The American Health system100+ Reply Thread - Addiction is it a disease
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »

The US Government has signed an accord to stamp out this form of dumping and yet it does nothing to stop the activity from going on

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:08:39 PM »

I caught a part of that expose' a few weeks back, it's pretty fucking horrifying. But you know, as selfish as it sounds their government can't not be aware this is going on and quite frankly, I think we have enough to worry about and I'm pretty exasperated that these fucked up situations are being "allowed" and we end up having to clean up the messes.

WTF, we can't pay our workers healthcare for inhaling this toxin shit, but we should worry about another country who is?  Fuck you, that is what outsourcing is all about..now STFU and make my TV!

Wow, I sound tough.... :vc:
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

FipronilaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:23:38 AM »

LOL Badass!

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »

Is it really our problem that other governments are easily corruptible and seemingly aware that this is going on, yet still oppress their people to the point that they will perform shit work for minimal wage and risk their lives doing so?

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 06:49:21 AM »

Is it really our problem that other governments are easily corruptible and seemingly aware that this is going on, yet still oppress their people to the point that they will perform shit work for minimal wage and risk their lives doing so?

It is if you dump your waste on them.

Lrd. Greymure

• Quaestor
  • Lrd. Greymure probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 08:05:40 AM »

Companies will do anything to support their bottom line even if it means polluting the world. I remeber a few years ago there was a plan to turn the Black Hills of South Dakota into a landfill. This is Lakota land where they filmed Dances with Wolves they wanted to dump there because it was close enough to the cities and no one lived there except for a few Navajo which could be relocated anyway. And so the genocide of the Native American continues, I am so proud to be an American.
Greymure

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 07:40:55 AM »

i already replied to this, but my post went missing with the dos.

A somewhat friend in my circle is an over zealous environmentalist as well as a professor at a nearby university. This topic had come up in conversation last week and he made mention of an over the top memo, made public about 20 years ago, by Larry Summers. The same man Obama has chosen as Assistant to the President for Economic Policy and Director of the National Economic Council.

I have no idea about it's authenticity, but after some digging, I found it on google. It's pretty fucked up and scares the shit out of me a little.  :confused:

THE MEMO

DATE: December 12, 1991
TO: Distribution
FR: Lawrence H. Summers
Subject: GEP

"'Dirty' Industries: Just between you and me, shouldn't the World Bank be encouraging MORE migration of the dirty industries to the LDCs [Less Developed Countries]? I can think of three reasons:

1) The measurements of the costs of health impairing pollution depends on the foregone earnings from increased morbidity and mortality. From this point of view a given amount of health impairing pollution should be done in the country with the lowest cost, which will be the country with the lowest wages. I think the economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that.

2) The costs of pollution are likely to be non-linear as the initial increments of pollution probably have very low cost. I've always though that under-populated countries in Africa are vastly UNDER-polluted, their air quality is probably vastly inefficiently low compared to Los Angeles or Mexico City. Only the lamentable facts that so much pollution is generated by non-tradable industries (transport, electrical generation) and that the unit transport costs of solid waste are so high prevent world welfare enhancing trade in air pollution and waste.

3) The demand for a clean environment for aesthetic and health reasons is likely to have very high income elasticity. The concern over an agent that causes a one in a million change in the odds of prostrate cancer is obviously going to be much higher in a country where people survive to get **prostrate cancer than in a country where under 5 mortality is is 200 per thousand. Also, much of the concern over industrial atmosphere discharge is about visibility impairing particulates. These discharges may have very little direct health impact. Clearly trade in goods that embody aesthetic pollution concerns could be welfare enhancing. While production is mobile the consumption of pretty air is a non-tradable."

"The problem with the arguments against all of these proposals for more pollution in LDCs (intrinsic rights to certain goods, moral reasons, social concerns, lack of adequate markets, etc.) could be turned around and used more or less effectively against every Bank proposal for liberalization."

http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/envronmt/summers.htm

**he spelled prostate wrong.  :vc:

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 10:14:55 PM »

i already replied to this, but my post went missing with the dos.

Site got dos'ed. I doubt there will be a prize for guessing who did that

:sad:

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 10:39:42 PM »

Site got dos'ed. I doubt there will be a prize for guessing who did that

:sad:

i thought the same exact thing, but my understanding is it was actually the server and not really applicable to this site in particular.... surprisingly.  :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.641 seconds with 39 queries.