ThirdRailForum

• November 18, 2017, 09:56:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 6352 times)

plus minus reset

Cookie MonsterTopic starter

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 216
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
Recipe Thread
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:49:54 PM »

Christ this server is fucking wank! :sad:

Anyway, a nice winter warmer and simple and not to fancy so bra1n should love it. It stems from when women worked in the mills and left the pot to stew in the bakers ovens all day. Taken from Delias site, she talks out her arse most the time but her foods good as i have tried it.

Traditional Lancashire Hotpot

This has acquired its name from the time when it was baked at home, then wrapped in blankets to keep hot and provide lunch for a day at the races. bullshit

Serves 4

Ingredients
2 lb (900 g) best end and middle neck of lamb, chopped into chop-sized pieces

1 tablespoon groundnut or other flavourless oil

butter

4 lambs' kidneys, cored, skinned and chopped fairly small

12 oz (350 g) onions, peeled and cut into half lengthways through the root then cut into ? inch (1 cm inch) wedges

1 level tablespoon flour

1 pint (570 ml) hot water, mixed with ? teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 bay leaf

2 sprigs fresh thyme

2 lb (900 g) potatoes, peeled and cut into ? inch (2 cm) slices

salt and freshly milled black pepper

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3, 325?F (170?C).

You will also need a large lidded flameproof casserole with capacity of 6 pints (3.5 litres).

First trim the lamb of any excess fat and wipe with kitchen paper. In a large frying pan, heat the oil and ? oz (5 g) butter until it is very hot, then brown the pieces of lamb two or three at a time until they all have a good brown crust. As they cook, remove them to a wide casserole. Brown the pieces of kidney too, and tuck these in among the meat.

Next, fry the onions ? add ? oz (5 g) butter to the pan if you need any extra fat ? cooking them for about 10 minutes till they turn brown at the edges. Now stir in the flour to soak up the juices, then gradually add the hot water and Worcestershire sauce, stirring or whisking until flour and liquid are smoothly blended. Season with salt and pepper and bring it up to simmering point, then pour it over the meat in the casserole. Add the bay leaf and thyme, then arrange the potato slices on top, in an overlapping pattern like slates on a roof. Season the potatoes and add a few flecks of butter here and there. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook near the top of the oven for 1? hours, then remove the lid and cook for a further 50 minutes.

I sometimes finish off the hotpot under the grill. If you brush the potatoes with a little more butter and place the casserole under a hot grill they crisp up and brown beautifully. Alternatively, if you think they're not browning enough during cooking, you can turn the heat in the oven right up during the last 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs before serving.

This recipe is taken from Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course, Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course and The Evening Standard Cookbook.

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
Re: Recipe Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »

i like lamb, i don't know about that whole kidney bit tho.

kidney=icky

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »

The first version I put up I added if you dont like offal then ditch it for more lamb. Most hotpots I have had have not had kidney in them, the recipes are quite often put up by poncy tv chefs. The first one had Rosemary on the ingrediants which I deleted. I want real tasty food. Kidneys are best left to offal recipes.

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:10:06 AM »

This "hot pot" business, I wonder if it is the equivalent to our "crock pot" here in the states?? Except I plug mine in to heat it, though once in a while I remove the ceramic insert to make a pork shoulder in because it seems to more evenly distribute the heat as well as remain quite warm after removing it from the oven..

this is what i have;

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=249089&CategoryID=21483

I find lamb tasty, though it's something I don't usually make often as I have to be in the mood for it. I've never made it into a stew like you suggested above, that I can recall. I tend to either make an entire leg of lamb or just buy the little chops.

If you're into those hearty winter stew like deals, I would look into getting a "crock pot" because you don't have to worry about leaving the oven on for hours, especially if you're going to leave the house for a bit, plus it keeps the heat more evenly distributed so nothing burns. It's good to make chili in as well.

I usually make a really easy recipe for stew. I buy cubed chuck with some nice marbling, toss it in a little flour thats been seasoned with S&P and then throw it in small batches, into a really hot pan that I've heated about 2 tablespoons of EVOO and a pad of butter in (the evoo has a higher heating point and stops the butter from burning).

Once I give the meat a quick brown, draining it on paper toweling as I finish each batch, I turn the heat down to medium and throw the remaining flour into the pan with a little extra butter and stir it up til it looks like a paste.

Then I slowly whisk in about a 24 ounce carton of beef stock and a dash of worcestershire, which makes a nice simple gravy. I let that simmer while I peel and cube some potatoes and cut up couple of shallots and some garlic.

I throw the meat and potatoes, along with the gravy into the crock pot and just let it cook there all day, for like 6-8 hours-adding water at some point if it looks too thick. Sometimes I'll throw in some baby carrots mid way and some frozen peas at the end, but the kids don't really like them and I don't really care for the flavor the carrots bring to the dish, so I leave them out.   

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:05:55 AM »

4 lambs' kidneys, cored, skinned and chopped fairly small

Organ meat...ewwwww.
Kidneys:  anything that filters urine is off my list of edibles!  :huh:

Otherwise, your recipe looks tasteful..I will probably try it with some changes.... :wink:
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »

I'd make it with Chicken and put the rosemary back in and throw it in the crock pot while I'm at work lol. I suck sorry.
I never had lamb. I should probably try it one of these days! The crock pot rules all when you work full time and hate eating out very often.

PoP - you know you typed that like a true brit. You sure you aren't really in London? hahaha =P Paper Toweling? (just giving you shit xoxo)

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:22:53 AM »

I'd make it with Chicken and put the rosemary back in and throw it in the crock pot while I'm at work lol. I suck sorry.
I never had lamb. I should probably try it one of these days! The crock pot rules all when you work full time and hate eating out very often.

Lamb is a little gamy (?sp that doesnt look right!), especially if it isnt cooked proper. You should try lamb chops first. They're small, but yummy!

I take the crock pot out in November and accost that bad boy til about April. It's sooo much easier to throw a bunch of ingredients into it while the kids are eating breakfast, then forget about it til dinner time. Clean up is a snap too, I just throw mine in the dishwasher even though it's simple to scrub out. I have an aversion to food born illness and put EVERYTHING in there.  :lol:

PoP - you know you typed that like a true brit. You sure you aren't really in London? hahaha =P Paper Toweling? (just giving you shit xoxo)

:wink: i was wondering who was gonna catch that.  :vc:

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »

For gammy I think you mean gluttonus?

and i missed the london thing, silly americans.

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Contestation probably just rolled in here.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The American Health system100+ Reply Thread - Addiction is it a disease
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 08:48:28 PM »

So Cookie Monster is Attention Whore

Cool Roast Pigeon recipes coming up   :fireworks:

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 11:13:24 PM »

For gammy I think you mean gluttonus?

gluttonous?? did you mean glutenous??

either way, no...gamey or gamy as in game. like venison or any other animal not commonly bred for domestic consumption. i guess "strong tasting" best encompasses what i'm trying to describe.

to me lamb has a very strong flavor and is fatty. it isn't something i prepare on a regular basis.

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 04:07:03 AM »

Maybe you mean mutton?

Oh so I am AW now? Well I suppose it makes a change from Baileyhankins. And yea gluetywhatnot.

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The American Health system100+ Reply Thread - Addiction is it a disease
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »

I am picking she means mutton. Lamb isn't a strong taste at all, where mutton is very strong and fatty

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »

Yea thanks for that Constepation, I already said that. Will dig up another recipe later,  I'll just try for something less controvertial and Dani-proof.

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »

lamb is baby mutton. it still has a strong flavor, especially if it isnt trimmed of all that nasty fatness.

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 05:18:59 PM »

lamb is baby mutton. it still has a strong flavor, especially if it isnt trimmed of all that nasty fatness.

Not technicality correct, but I don't care enough to correct you. I await another basic recipe from the clown in the cooks hat

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »

Final say is potatos are supposed to be roasted crispy on top so I dont know if one of your pot cookers is ideal. Oh and lamb is sheep up to one year old, mutton is usually 2 to 5 years old.

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 05:29:25 PM »

Fishermans Pie.

Serves 4.
Ingredients

1 lb white fish ( firm not flat fish)
(1/4 lb Prawns or Salmon or smoked fish - optional luxury extra)
1/2 pt milk
1/2 oz flour
1/2 oz margarine
4 boiled eggs
Mashed potato
Cook the fish in the milk, drain, saving the milk, and flake. Make a white sauce with the margarine, flour and cooled milk. Mix the fish into the sauce and season well. place quartered boiled eggs in base of dish. Place the mixture in an oven proof dish deep enough to allow the potatoes to be spooned onto the top of fish to cover it completely. Smooth the topping with a fork making as good seal round the edges as possible. Bake at 400 F for 1/2 -3/4 hour to brown the top and ensure the pie is piping hot right through.

Serve with peas

Options are adding a bit of cheese to the white sauce or white wine, not both. I would pipe the mash but spoons ok. Made quite a few modifications to this basic recipe and theres a lot you can do tinkering with it.

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 07:39:38 PM »

Firstly all the fish should be smoked fish as it increases the flavor and means you dont have to use fish cooked in milk, simply because that is garbage and should be feed to a cat. The stronger the fish the better. The egg should be sliced thinly and layered in the fish. Cheese sauce is way better than white sauce.

Use butter in cooking, margarine is crap

Put a bit of cheese on top of the potato

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 08:27:53 PM »

Final say is potatos are supposed to be roasted crispy on top so I dont know if one of your pot cookers is ideal. Oh and lamb is sheep up to one year old, mutton is usually 2 to 5 years old.

you can always pop out the ceramic pot part and toss it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp up the potatoes.

i get it, lamb>sheep>mutton. it really isn't that significant when considering they're all the same animal, just like veal is to calf as beef is to cow. point being, regardless of age, the taste of lamb is distinct to the animal.

i'm not so sure about your fish recipe. whats the caloric value of a serving?? it sounds like it could easily surpass 1200 with all the eggs, milk, butter, and cheese.  :vc:

i buy salmon or talapia steaks, sprinkle it with some olive oil, lemon juice, and s&p. then grill it outside (on foil) along with some fresh cut yellow squash and zucchini (also sprinkled with evoo, but not on foil) then i serve it with basmati rice or parmesan couscous.

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 05:35:42 AM »

Contestation
Firstly all the fish should be smoked fish as it increases the flavor and means you dont have to use fish

Rubbish, if youve evert tried an arbroath smokie or Scottish smoked haddock you dont need much, I copied this recipe so should have read it better, A mix of fish is good.

cooked in milk simply because that is garbage and should be feed to a cat.
Agreed, it doesn't need that.

The egg should be sliced thinly and layered in the fish.

The egg needs to hold its shape so my way is better

Cheese sauce is way better than white sauce.

This is a matter of taste and my personal preference if not using strong fish flavour as it would be to much. Cod mornay is a good recipe

Use butter in cooking, margarine is crap

Agreed

Put a bit of cheese on top of the potato

Or in if it doesn't have a cheesey sauce imo. Or bread crumbs :grin:

D
I'll get back to you later Trollmeat I is bissay. :lmao:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.