ThirdRailForum

• September 22, 2017, 11:26:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nebraska 'safe haven' law  (Read 1160 times)

plus minus reset

WillowTopic starter

• Aedile
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Willow probably just rolled in here.
  • Karysma in hiding. :P
Nebraska 'safe haven' law
« on: October 15, 2008, 08:33:01 AM »

This article amazes me.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-09-25-Left-kids_N.htm

How can someone seriously give up a child that you've raised for years, just because you're tired or don't know how to handle them?

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
Re: Nebraska 'safe haven' law
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:21:31 AM »

WoW! Just wow. I had heard a brief mention of this from Robin Quivers, on Stern yesterday morning. I was meaning to do some research on the topic, but it slipped my mind due to endeavors with my own children.

I'm conflicted to be frank. It sounds like a well intentioned law that was not adequately thought out prior to it being put into effect.

On one hand, it would seem like a brilliant idea if it were utilized as a well intentioned, temporary means that would prevent or perhaps cushion the psychological impact of economic hardship that plagues so many blue collar families present day.

On the other hand, opening the gates for such irresponsible decision making in allowing a parent to essentially abandon their child just because they've decided they no longer wish to deal with behavioral conflicts, is a deplorable act and should be reevaluated and adjusted accordingly, PRONTO.

Boss

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »

Good God.  Parents (and I use the word loosely) who tell their kids they don't want them now have the legal means to prove how serious they are.  Another sad commentary on our times; if not corrected quickly, there will be more cases and more likelihood for some serious therapy going on for these kids in the future, ie: abandonment issues.  And what about the children already given "safe haven"?  Things will never be corrected for them.  Even if they are "reunited" with their parents, as the article states could be a court decision, how will they... how would anyone feel every day for years to come waking up and knowing it was as simple as a poorly thought-out law to render them family-less, if only briefly, and by their own parents' choice?

Sucks to be them. :turd:

WillowTopic starter

• Aedile
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Willow probably just rolled in here.
  • Karysma in hiding. :P
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 07:25:18 PM »

There should have been better guidelines put into place before passing this. Granted, the main idea of it is so that parents could leave the kids 'no questions asked', but in today's society, that's just begging to be taken advantage of. If there truly is an emergency situation, such as abuse, or absolute destitution where the child can't be taken care of, then that's fine. But it's showing that this can be taken advantage of and that's where the danger comes in, for the children, and Nebraska.

KingChile

• Yellowbeard
  • Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • KingChile probably just rolled in here.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Projectile Vomit vs Caskur voting100+ Reply Thread - Flametown : past it's used by date?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »

This seems like an easy way out. If you have a child, that is a lifetime commitment. If it's made easy to walk away from parenthood many more will take that option wheras if it is not they may stick it out. Young lives are bound to be negatively affected by an easy way out for parents. This is a bad idea.

I'd be more interested in seeing an increase of help and resources for parents.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 12:41:59 PM »

The Safe Haven laws, which I fully supported and which are in force in all 50 states, were intended to prevent infanticide, abuse and neglect of newborns and infants to 12 months of age. They were a response to the rash of babies being drowned, beaten, nelected, and left to die in dumpsters, mostly by younger mothers without adult help and resources. They were not intended as an escape hatch for people who don't feel like dealing with their out-of-control teenagers, or who have decided a few years in that parenthood just "isn't right" for them.

Nebraska changed the wording of their law to include ALL children. This is a disaster and it needs to be fixed posthaste. I agree that all children deserve protection, and that in cases of abuse they should be removed, but that is what Child Protective Services is there for. CPS needs to be made to do their job more efficiently and diligently, not given a pass by a law that wasn't ever intended as such.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 377
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »

LMAO..

34th child abandoned under Neb.'s safe-haven law

OMAHA, Neb. ? A 5-year-old boy has been dropped off at an Omaha, Neb., hospital only a day before the state Legislature begins a meeting to change the state's safe-haven law.

The state Department of Health and Human Services said Friday the boy was left at Immanuel Medical Center about 9 p.m. Thursday. He's from Sarpy County near Omaha.

Nebraska's safe-haven law was intended to protect unwanted newborns from being abandoned, but unlike similar laws in other states, Nebraska's doesn't include an age limit.

The Legislature opens a rare special session Friday afternoon to change the law and add an age limit.

As of Friday, 34 children have been abandoned under the law. Five have been from out of state.

Just imagine it if abortions were illegal and a million unwanted pregancies were forced to be carried to birth each year.  :huh:

Deuteronomy 13:6-16

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »

This just goes to show you how antiquated our ideals regarding parenthood are....just because you can procreate, does not make you a parent!

"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 02:44:05 PM »

It's a new threat in my house - "Eat your broccoli or I'm taking you to Nebraska!"
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »

Ahhhahahahahaha Pers I'm going to use it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 40 queries.