ThirdRailForum

• December 16, 2017, 08:11:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better warn the grandparents about this one  (Read 895 times)

plus minus reset

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
Better warn the grandparents about this one
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »

Im not sure if this is a Florida thing (where all the lost old people are bussed to) or if it's a national thing but if it wasnt so sad it would make for a hilarious reality tv show...

Callers pose as grandkids to defraud elderly
December 1st, 2008 by Post Staff

She just wanted to help her grandson. After all, while she was cradling the phone in her hand, he was crying on the other end of the line. There he was, far, far away, in trouble, and sobbing like a baby even though he is nearly 30. "I think that got me more than anything," said the 92-year-old grandmother from her Treasure Coast home.

More than a week passed before she realized she had been bilked. Now she's embarrassed. Still has nightmares over it. And she doesn't want her name in the paper because she says she couldn't face her friends if they found out what happened.

In recent months, several other seniors have received calls they have believed to be their grandchild only to find out later that they had been scammed. She told Port St. Lucie police she lost $12,975 over the course of three phone calls. The Martin County Sheriff's Office has received two similar reports. In Delray Beach, a couple said they lost $5,100 after they were called in September. And in October, a woman in Boca Raton reported that she wired $4,500 to Canada.

The callers give an urgent account of some emergency. There's been a car crash and expensive medical bills. Someone had too much to drink and they're stuck in a holding cell and need to post bond. Or maybe there was a friend with some pot in the car and now the innocent grandchild is in trouble, too. "These stories are really intended to tug at the heartstrings of the grandparent," said Sandi Copes, spokeswoman for Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum's office, which tracks phone scams reported to its fraud hot line.

In late October, the office and AARP Florida released a consumer advisory warning seniors that scammers are targeting them by posing as their favorite grandchild. To find targets for the "grandchild scheme," callers might cull phone numbers from contact lists sold for marketing purposes, Copes said. It is not known if any of these lists, which are legal, have been used for the scheme, Copes said.

AARP Florida State Director Lori Parham said some scammers may deem retirees as a better source of income than other potential victims because they could have more equity in their homes or a retirement fund. "We're still sick about it," said one Delray Beach woman.

One of the scammers called her 89-year-old husband on Sept. 24. This young-sounding voice said, "Hello, grandpa, it's your favorite grandson," so my husband said, "Hello, Mike," the woman recalled. The caller said he was in Toronto, where he was stopped for drunken driving. He was in a holding cell and needed money. In all, the couple spent $5,100, said the woman, who declined to give her name.

The schemer even called back later to ask about the money. When she answered, the 86-year-old grandmother assured him it was on its way. Days later she realized her real grandson was in Chicago. "I could've sworn it was my grandson," she said.

Hello, grandpa Obi, is that you? Listen, Im in a world of trouble.. some illegal Mexicans kidnapped me and they are going to make me listen to AW's Looney Rap over and over until my ears bleed unless I pay them off... Can you send me some money?  :lol:

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
Re: Better warn the grandparents about this one
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:12:49 PM »

Holy shit that's sad! But at their age wouldn't they be somewhat smart enough to say - Let me see what I can do and call you back. What number? or Call their mother or father who would be their son or daughter to say hey your kid blah blah. But you never know older people's frame of mind.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:19:59 PM »

Shit, my mom would NEVER send either of my little felons money and they're only 7 and 12. She knows better.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »

yeah, i really can't imagine anyone in my family being that easily duped. it's very sad that someone would take advantage of the elderly to that extent.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:54:52 AM »

Well yeah, it IS sad, but I really can't imagine anyone in this day and age falling for something like that so easily. My grandparents would NEVER have sent that kind of money to ANYONE for ANY REASON.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »

Well yeah, it IS sad, but I really can't imagine anyone in this day and age falling for something like that so easily.

You can't imagine it because you are not suffering (apparently) from the mental disability that they are in their advanced years. Besides that, they use the common phony psychic trick that countless of naive people, young and old fall for every day to get them to give up their own information..

Hello Grandpa, it's me, your favorite grandson!

Mike, is that you?

Yes, it's Mike!

I didnt recognize your voice.

Im a little under the weather so my voice sounds different. How are YOU doin, granpa? Did you see the doctor about that problem you were having?

You mean my chronic atrophic gastritis?

Yes, your gast.. that problem.

Well, let me you...Linda and I went to the doctor just last week and he said that I...

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 09:46:15 AM »

You can't imagine it because you are not suffering (apparently) from the mental disability that they are in their advanced years. Besides that, they use the common phony psychic trick that countless of naive people, young and old fall for every day to get them to give up their own information..

Hello Grandpa, it's me, your favorite grandson!

Mike, is that you?

Yes, it's Mike!

I didnt recognize your voice.

Im a little under the weather so my voice sounds different. How are YOU doin, granpa? Did you see the doctor about that problem you were having?

You mean my chronic atrophic gastritis?

Yes, your gast.. that problem.

Well, let me you...Linda and I went to the doctor just last week and he said that I...

Okay Bra1niac, you can stop trying to make me feel guilty. My dad actually passed from Alzheimer's 2 years ago (well, a combination of things but Alzheimer's played a role). And my mom is currently in an assisted living facility. For this very reason, among others. I'd love to have her live with me but it's not feasible, and this way I know she's at least got someone looking out for her when I can't be there.

If an elderly relative is suffering from mental degeneration, they need to be supervised. And like I said, it's sad, it really is. I just can't see it happening in large numbers, that's all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 33 queries.