ThirdRailForum

• December 15, 2017, 03:32:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peggy Noonan on why Americans own so many guns.  (Read 96 times)

plus minus reset

turd_fergusonTopic starter

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • turd_ferguson yearns for more subjective praise.turd_ferguson yearns for more subjective praise.turd_ferguson yearns for more subjective praise.turd_ferguson yearns for more subjective praise.turd_ferguson yearns for more subjective praise.
Peggy Noonan on why Americans own so many guns.
« on: October 08, 2017, 09:38:40 AM »

https://www.wsj.com/article_email/the-culture-of-deathand-of-disdain-1507244198-lMyQjAxMTE3NTA2NjkwODYyWj/

But: Why do so many Americans have guns? I don’t mean those who like to hunt and shoot or live far out and need protection. I don’t mean those who’ve been handed down the guns of their grandfather or father. Why do a significant number of Americans have so many guns?

Wouldn’t it help if we thought about that?

I think a lot of Americans have guns because they’re fearful—and for damn good reason. They fear a coming chaos, and know that when it happens it will be coming to a nation that no longer coheres. They think it’s all collapsing—our society, our culture, the baseline competence of our leadership class. They see the cultural infrastructure giving way—illegitimacy, abused children, neglect, racial tensions, kids on opioids staring at screens—and, unlike their cultural superiors, they understand the implications.

Nuts with nukes, terrorists bent on a mission. The grid will go down. One of our foes will hit us, suddenly and hard. In the end it could be hand to hand, door to door. I said some of this six years ago to a famously liberal journalist, who blinked in surprise. If that’s true, he said, they won’t have a chance! But they are Americans, I said. They won’t go down without a fight.

Americans have so many guns because drug gangs roam the streets, because they have less trust in their neighbors, because they read Cormac McCarthy’s “The Road.” Because all of their personal and financial information got hacked in the latest breach, because our country’s real overlords are in Silicon Valley and appear to be moral Martians who operate on some weird new postmodern ethical wavelength. And they’ll be the ones programming the robots that’ll soon take all the jobs! Maybe the robots will all look like Mark Zuckerberg, like those eyeless busts of Roman Emperors. Our leaders don’t even think about this technological revolution. They’re too busy with transgender rights.

Don Kwyjibo

• Real Arteest'
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Don Kwyjibo embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - 120 F Heatwave Targets Southwestern Americans100 Replies - Congratulations are in order for Vixen100 Replies - WTF? Miketx measures dog dicks and..100 Replies - Letting worthless posters die100 Replies - Unless things improve, I'm done here100 Replies - What's the real difference between..100 Replies - Word on the street is that100 Replies - California and Florida are full of mongs..100 Replies - Cathy Swamp Pussy reckons..300 Replies - Bonesaw and I..200 Replies - Bonesaw and I..100 Replies - Bonesaw and I..100 Replies - American Flame Forums have gotten..100 Replies - Being civil to Caskur100 Replies -  	So PB (Peanut Butter) finds..100 Replies - Organizing a Take Out Food Delivery Bombing on100 Replies - Why does Sinister prefer American Gridiron Butts?100 Replies - List your currently present Flametown Greats100 Reply Thread -  	Reasons why Im in lurve in Flea200 Reply Thread - Flea and I are going to fuck100 Reply Thread - Flea and I are going to fuck100 Reply Thread -  	The two most sexiest TRF women..100 Reply Thread - Memeoffski teh Prowliepooski100 Reply Thread - Who is the most unfuckable poster100 Reply Thread -  	Why are American Christians like Dove100 Reply Thread - Heads up, all!..
  • Vroom vroom...
Re: Peggy Noonan on why Americans own so many guns.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »

Pretty much...
Quote from: THE BRA1N
Oh and btw, dont be surprised if you find yourselves temp banned next week. I'm still fuming that Hillary lost and looking to take it out on either or both of you

Bra1n Election Day Meltdown v2.0 now underway..  :snick:

etc

• I FIXED BRA1N'S SITE!!!
  • Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • etc is respected and well liked.etc is respected and well liked.etc is respected and well liked.etc is respected and well liked.etc is respected and well liked.etc is respected and well liked.etc is respected and well liked.etc is respected and well liked.etc is respected and well liked.etc is respected and well liked.
  • THE MOR0N DONE BROKE IT AGAIN LOL!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »

There is definitely a paradigm shift on the horizon and while it might not necessarily be malevolent, it will likely be seen as such. The all encompassing nature of it will shake a lot of people from their lethargy; anything that affects the status quo as profoundly as this has the capacity to do will have this effect and the results can and probably will get ugly.

I say "might not necessarily be malevolent"; the truth is I suspect there will be those that seek to take personal advantage of it at the expense of others and it is that which will feed people's fears most. Which is sucky, since this will create a situation that feeds on itself. As people arc up, there will be laws and legislation put in place to force the events to continue along whatever road has seemed like a good idea at the time to those lobbying for the rules, creating more dissent in the mainstream culture, necessitating further legislation and so on. A vicious cycle if you will, but I honestly cannot envisage it unfolding any other way. The truth is that the technological advancements being made could benefit the world's situation as a whole, but we as a race have traditionally proven to be exceptionally self serving and greedy and I don't see that changing, not even within those circles that preach "don't be evil" and other pithy, empty platitudes.

My best advice to you all is to learn to co-operate within your own communities to mutual benefit. I'm not advocating you adopt a Marxist/communist lifestyle, though I am suggesting you be open to elements from those teachings and incorporate them (where they work) into a communally inclined safety net designed to protect you and yours among those immediate neighbours that have similar ideals and goals to your own. You cannot hope to govern the affairs of your country, no matter how much you think you like it, your country has lost its way when it comes to looking out for you and it will be a very long time before that looks like changing. But you can make your own little corner of it a little better than it otherwise might have been by working in with those nearest you to maintain and improve theirs and your circumstance. It likely won't be the Utopia that you would have liked it to be, but at least it will be yours and a damned sight better than any of the options presently on the table. By all means, do what needs to be done to keep your place in the present society even as it falls apart around you, but be open to any opportunity that presents itself to cement your usefulness at the local level. When it all turns to shit, you'll have the basic workings of a safety net to save yourself if you do, something you can employ and build upon to keep yourselves going.
"I would prefer it if the title had a ring of legitimacy it hasn't enjoyed since they started handing it out to non-flamers like Caskur....I feel as if I can make a standing stipulation here to any "champ" desperately looking to divest themselves of the aforementioned title. That stip is this: the title must first be elevated to a level of excellence befitting that of an elder statesman of the flaming community."

lokmar

• Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.lokmar is appreciated and adored.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:58:50 PM »

Only one reason the Christian Founders ensured we have the God Given right to bear arms....for the extermination of humans who deserve to die and the overthrow of the government.  Simple, really.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 35 queries.