ThirdRailForum

• August 22, 2017, 08:51:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The OJ sentence  (Read 1221 times)

plus minus reset

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
The OJ sentence
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:04:49 AM »

I couldn't find brians original OJ thread, so I'm starting another.

here is a comment I identify with regarding the OJ sentencing;

-- On the sentence of 18 years, with parole possible after five: "This is a very stiff sentence . . . He's going to serve at least 5 years, he will then be up for parole . . . I don't think he's going to get out on parole the first time he's up or even the second time he's up, so my expectation is that he's going to serve at least 7 or 8 years at least in a state penitentiary, and he's now 61 years old . . . Clearly the judge had no idea of leniency, or mercy or forgiving him for this robbery . . . "

What do you think about this sentencing? Is it just or overkill? Does it fit the current crime? Did you find the comments the judge made to be out of line or do you agree that what he said was ignorant and arrogant?

"I wasn't there to hurt anybody," Simpson, who played for the Buffalo Bills, said today before the sentence was read. "I didn't want to steal anything from anybody. I didn't want anybody else's stuff -- just my own stuff. I'm sorry."
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aCQk1ZEIwNf4&refer=home

Does it seem like he is being punished for the events of 10+ years ago? Should he be?

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
Re: The OJ sentence
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »

He's a douchebag and deserves the sentence he got.  if I was the judge, I would have given him more time just for being a douchebag!
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »

LMAO! An ex douchebag player for the Douchebag Bills no less! More time the merrier!

I think he had a lot of counts against him and he knew what he was doing when he did the crime. If someone had stolen his shit, he should have pressed charges and did it the legal way.

THE BRA1N

• Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 374
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »

I couldn't find brians original OJ thread, so I'm starting another.

here is a comment I identify with regarding the OJ sentencing;

-- On the sentence of 18 years, with parole possible after five: "This is a very stiff sentence . . . He's going to serve at least 5 years, he will then be up for parole . . . I don't think he's going to get out on parole the first time he's up or even the second time he's up, so my expectation is that he's going to serve at least 7 or 8 years at least in a state penitentiary, and he's now 61 years old . . . Clearly the judge had no idea of leniency, or mercy or forgiving him for this robbery . . . "

What do you think about this sentencing? Is it just or overkill? Does it fit the current crime? Did you find the comments the judge made to be out of line or do you agree that what he said was ignorant and arrogant?

"I wasn't there to hurt anybody," Simpson, who played for the Buffalo Bills, said today before the sentence was read. "I didn't want to steal anything from anybody. I didn't want anybody else's stuff -- just my own stuff. I'm sorry."
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aCQk1ZEIwNf4&refer=home

Does it seem like he is being punished for the events of 10+ years ago? Should he be?

I think my OJ thread was at FC. BTW, I'm getting tired of Brian. Can you call me something else like maybe Max? "Max like Mad Max?" I watched Weird Science again yesterday and that's a funny name.  :lol:

I thought that OJ should rot in prison for the murders he committed but the sentence he got in this case just doesnt sit well with me. Considering the facts of the crime (that he was trying to get his stolen stuff back from people he knew) and that people who are convicted of killing others serve less time then what he got here, it leaves me with a something is wrong here type of feeling.

I mean Griselda Blanco (from Cocaine Cowboys movie fame) was responsible for the death of over 200 people in the United States. How the fuck did she get out of prison after a few years?

Claus von Bulow whose ex-wife just died this week after 30 years in a coma after he tried to kill her by injecting her with insulin only served a couple a couple of years despite being  found guilty. His conviction was reversed on a technicality by Alan Dershowitz and he was found not guilty in a second trial. There is something inherently wrong when you get away with attempted murder and murder but get practically sentenced to life for trying to get your stolen stuff back.

I look at career criminals who are arrested every day with mile long records and then look at OJ and the other co-defendant with no prior criminal record who got virtually the same sentence as OJ, and I dont feel good about it at all. As I said before, we need to take a look at the whole prison sentencing and punishment system to begin with. Prison should not the answer for every crime and every defendant. There has to be alternate forms of punishment to vindicate the state and rehabilitate the convicted.

I dont think the judge was unfair in this case and neither do OJ's lawyers. I think the minimum that he has to serve before he is even eligible for parole is 9 years. She gave him near the minimum sentence when she could have given him double life. It is the system which is fucked up and needs to be reformed.
Deuteronomy 13:6-16

• Senatore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 03:00:35 PM »

I think my OJ thread was at FC. BTW, I'm getting tired of Brian. Can you call me something else like maybe Max? "Max like Mad Max?" I watched Weird Science again yesterday and that's a funny name.  :lol:

but..i really like brian! it makes me think of the smarter than everyone else dog on family guy! but if you prefer max, then max it is ya animal!  :vc:
is weird science the one that has stuttering john in it? he's the guy who lives in the attic?? i might be thinking of the wrong one. anthony michael hall, yes?

I thought that OJ should rot in prison for the murders he committed but the sentence he got in this case just doesnt sit well with me. Considering the facts of the crime (that he was trying to get his stolen stuff back from people he knew) and that people who are convicted of killing others serve less time then what he got here, it leaves me with a something is wrong here type of feeling.

yes, i have that exact feeling. the guys at work agree, but the gals are like "fry the motherfucker!"  :lol: which he should have fried...ten years ago, but that was a crime he got away with, this is a new crime.

I mean Griselda Blanco (from Cocaine Cowboys movie fame) was responsible for the death of over 200 people in the United States. How the fuck did she get out of prison after a few years?

Claus von Bulow whose ex-wife just died this week after 30 years in a coma after he tried to kill her by injecting her with insulin only served a couple a couple of years despite being  found guilty. His conviction was reversed on a technicality by Alan Dershowitz and he was found not guilty in a second trial. There is something inherently wrong when you get away with attempted murder and murder but get practically sentenced to life for trying to get your stolen stuff back.

I look at career criminals who are arrested every day with mile long records and then look at OJ and the other co-defendant with no prior criminal record who got virtually the same sentence as OJ, and I dont feel good about it at all. As I said before, we need to take a look at the whole prison sentencing and punishment system to begin with. Prison should not the answer for every crime and every defendant. There has to be alternate forms of punishment to vindicate the state and rehabilitate the convicted.

I dont think the judge was unfair in this case and neither do OJ's lawyers. I think the minimum that he has to serve before he is even eligible for parole is 9 years. She gave him near the minimum sentence when she could have given him double life. It is the system which is fucked up and needs to be reformed.

yeah. it's scary that there can be such a sort of bias when it comes to sentencing someone, especially in a high profile case. maybe there is another term for it that i'm not aware of?

i don't feel it was necessary to openly make a personal observation about him like she did. is that routine? do you think it was for the camera? shouldn't she be basing her judgment on his crime and the laws that he broke instead of her personal observations? what i mean i guess is, is it illegal to be ignorant and arrogant? i don't see where declaring that for the record, was pertinent.

(my next patient is sleeping with her eyes open, it's creepy)

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »

He's a douchenozzle and I'm glad he's going to prison.

Hi Max. :rotf:
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

THE BRA1N

• Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »

anthony michael hall, yes?

That's the one. MOM, I SWEAR I WAS COMBING MY HAIR! I NEVER TOSSED OFF TO ANYTHING! I NEVER TOSSED OFF!

yeah. it's scary that there can be such a sort of bias when it comes to sentencing someone, especially in a high profile case. maybe there is another term for it that i'm not aware of?

i don't feel it was necessary to openly make a personal observation about him like she did. is that routine? do you think it was for the camera? shouldn't she be basing her judgment on his crime and the laws that he broke instead of her personal observations? what i mean i guess is, is it illegal to be ignorant and arrogant? i don't see where declaring that for the record, was pertinent.

I didn't think there was any bias in the sentencing due to the murder case or the defendant being OJ. As I alluded to, OJ's own lawyers were pretty much ecstatic with the sentence considering the Max that the judge could have pronounced and what the statutory minimum was. Also as i mentioned, the non-celebrity, first time convicted of a crime co-defendant got pretty much the same sentence as OJ from what I understand.

And yes, it's routine for the judge to make personal comments about their trial observations and the defendant prior to handing down the sentence. I see it happen often on Court TV when Im not trying to troll people online into thinking that i have a law degree.  

:brian:

• Senatore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 04:49:26 PM »

That's the one. MOM, I SWEAR I WAS COMBING MY HAIR! I NEVER TOSSED OFF TO ANYTHING! I NEVER TOSSED OFF!

that movie is a classic!!  :rotf:

I didn't think there was any bias in the sentencing due to the murder case or the defendant being OJ. As I alluded to, OJ's own lawyers were pretty much ecstatic with the sentence considering the Max that the judge could have pronounced and what the statutory minimum was. Also as i mentioned, the non-celebrity, first time convicted of a crime co-defendant got pretty much the same sentence as OJ from what I understand.

And yes, it's routine for the judge to make personal comments about their trial observations and the defendant prior to handing down the sentence. I see it happen often on Court TV when Im not trying to troll people online into thinking that i have a law degree.   

:brian:

:lol: if they only knew you were actually brian trump, the illegitimate love child of the donald and princess diana, hehehe!

i didn't mean bias in sentencing Per Se; i meant the bias of her personal remarks and her overall disgust when speaking to him. i'm trying to think back to that case we followed together and if that judge made any derogatory verbal remarks to the defendant?? lord knows she was certainly "mrs. personality" :lmao:

i want to say she called him careless and irresponsible because of his drug use, but i think those are adjectives that are pretty just when assessing someones character. calling OJ ignorant, though very comical and probably true, seems a little fucked up and "biased".

i kind of enjoyed the fact that he was reduced to sniveling like a little bitch. i wonder if he'll be messed with in prison? don't prisoners look down on idiots who beat murder raps then do something so fucking stupid that they get pinched for it?   :rotf:

i dont know if this max thing is going to work. my grandmother had a pug named max. he was not very pretty, he snorted, and always had crusty eye snots running all over his face. youre brian and thats that. sorry, youre no max.

THE BRA1N

• Augustus
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 05:03:34 PM »

It's part of the process. Judges have to sit there and listen to everything for days and sometimes weeks and months without uttering a single comment about the culpability of the defendant or else it becomes a mistrial. The sentencing hearing is the only time when they can unload and make a record of what they think about them.

• Senatore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:14:21 PM »

It's part of the process. Judges have to sit there and listen to everything for days and sometimes weeks and months without uttering a single comment about the culpability of the defendant or else it becomes a mistrial. The sentencing hearing is the only time when they can unload and make a record of what they think about them.

[email protected] out a window and puking!  :lmao: (it stopped loading for me there, have to wait til i get home)

now that you put it that way, it makes better sense. i knew on some level they werent allowed to make comments during the trial, i think i automatically carried that over to sentencing as well.

THE BRA1N

• Augustus
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »

It's kind of like Judge Judy talking crap and trying to sound like she has everything figured out after 10 mins when she's announcing her decision. Even if she's more wrong than bible science, people have to sit there and listen to it.

It's kind of like Judge Judy talking crap and trying to sound like she has everything figured out after 10 mins when she's announcing her decision. Even if she's more wrong than bible science, people have to sit there and listen to it.

BTW, there's a great program premiering tonight on Nat Geo called Journey to the Edge of the Universe. I think we'll both enjoy it.

:rudolp:

• Senatore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »

yup!!!! i have it allll set up and ready to record in case i should crash, which i doubt, it's been sorta slow today obviously.

did you catch the sex in space one?? i think it was on ngc and may have been in the same series as the dinometeor, i'm not sure... but i havent gotten a chance to watch it yet and i'm dying to see what it's all about!

• Senatore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 05:20:47 PM »

i just watched sex in space, while getting dinner started; it's another good one!! i love the universe series!

i found it on yt-heres part 1 of 5

THE BRA1N

• Augustus
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 11:40:07 PM »

That's pretty interesting but I think that there are far more problems that need to be addressed before we start talking about living in space and copulating in it. I tend to doubt we will ever succeed living it or on another planet.

We are all Earth creatures that have evolved to adapt and survive in THIS world. Our features are the product of hundreds of millions of years of natural selection to survive in this world.

The Earth is about 3/4 water and so are we. Our muscles and cell growth are adapted to 1.0 gravity as are our senses. In space, our muscles would atrophy until we turn into 80 lbs weaklings. Granted, we wouldnt need to do as much exertion but it would be a huge problem when we land on another world like say, Mars, after traveling there for 2 years.

Our oxygen intake is adapted to Earth's. Breathing too much or too little of it can result in death. Our bodies produce melanin in the surface of the skin to protect us from ultraviolet rays on Earth but they will do nothing to protect us from the highly charged cosmic rays which will bombard human cells and without a doubt cause mutations including cancers when the cells divide.

Virtually everything that we are adapted to here on Earth stands to be a handicap in space and on another planet. Including reproduction as the video shows. I think all these plans about colonizing Mars and living long-term in a space ship traveling to the stars are empty pipe dreams which will not materialize unless we can figure out a way to genetically engineer us water based humans with qualities which are more suitable for a micro-gravity, hostile environment than what we are made for.

• Senatore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 02:15:42 AM »

(we need to break this off into a space thread  :vc:)

I definitely identify with what you're saying and feel that procreation in space should not be anywhere near the top of the list of priorities when it comes to space exploration.

In latter parts of the video, the con's are discussed as well and they delve into experimentation with animals and how fetuses gestated and birthed in space could not only be born with multiple anomalies due to gravitational factors and radiation exposure (supposing they were actually carried to term), but how they wouldn't thrive on earth without some sort of "earth suit" akin to an astronauts "space suit".

For me, having never put any real serious thought into space procreation, it was quite thought provoking.

Another intriguing portion of the program was the subject matter closer to the end surrounding the innovations of "space cruises" and recreational space travel. It was really wild to see how much thought has been put into it and how the possibilities are more attainable than we imagine.

I totally loved Journey to the Edge of the Universe! Alec Baldwin was a perfect voice and character for the narration and I was transfixed from start to finish. I dont think I really picked up on anything new fact-wise, but I always love to be reminded about the magnitude of our universe and just how small and insignificant we really are in the grand scheme of things.

KingChile

• Yellowbeard
  • Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • KingChile probably just rolled in here.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Projectile Vomit vs Caskur voting100+ Reply Thread - Flametown : past it's used by date?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »

OJ recieved leniency from the law in his murder trial...he should have done the smart thing and retired from crime after receiving his get out of jail free card. Did he seek to stay out of trouble? Did he attempt to turn his life around? Was the murder conviction that he narrowly escaped from a humbling experience? The answer is no. I fully understand his desire to get the memorabilia that once belonged to him back...the thing is you don't kidnap and commit armed robbery in his or anyone's situation. He should have gone through the proper legal channels. That is what the courts are for. The poor jerk gave one last tearful plea to the lady judge...but he should have thought things through. He tried to play the celebrity above the law gangsta type and found himself in court, in tears and grabbing his ankles before the judge who with all the facts before her had no choice but to don her grey judges wig and strap on and deliver the killing hip thrust that will probably amount to life in the slammer for poor old OJ. He could have so easily lived out his days as a free man yet chose to throw his life away over a few momentos.

There are so many people in this worldwho just don't think and need to be protected from their own stupidity. OJ is a classic example.

• Senatore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 11:13:25 AM »

Very well said and quite true. It's difficult to fathom someone getting away with the murders of two people and then turning around and doing something so incredibly stupid and thinking he could get away with it again. He definitely is psychotic on some level.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 41 queries.