ThirdRailForum

• October 24, 2017, 07:13:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the Third Rail. Our Mission Statement..  (Read 4960 times)

plus minus reset

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 383
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
Welcome to the Third Rail. Our Mission Statement..
« on: October 15, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »

Who are we? Why are we here? In short, we're a couple of ex flame board posters who like to debate and have spirited exchanges with others and are tired of the mindless drudgery of the mythical Flametown we were confined to for the past few years.

For those not familiar with who we are, this site is a spinoff of the Hot Coals subforum at flamechampsnetwork.com. For years we have dabbled in flaming others, in organizing and participating in flame matches in a flame community of various forums and in dealing with trolls or sometimes even trolling others ourselves.

After so many times of reading the same vacuous twits churning out the same mindless insults every day sometimes said a different way but usually not, and after seeing most of the few talented writers and posters who were once prominent in the community slowly trickle away over the years, I decided to start a subforum called the Hot Coals at Flamechamps with the aim to attract new people who like to mix it up in a battle of wits but who do not care about the going ons of flame forums or have to know anyone in order to participate.

The critical distinction between the two juxtapositions is that flame forum threads and posts are almost typically started by Poster A to flame Poster B or a group of posters. In the course of things, Poster C may come along and flame Poster A, Poster D may then try to flame Poster C and so on. The quality is another topic altogether but the point is that invariably it is a circle jerk where all the people involved usually know and have a history with and against each other.

What happens if someone completely new to the forum stumbles upon that thread? What motivation would they have to join a forum or the discussion where they do not know any of the people being talked about and no one knows them?

Not much of one, which is why we hardly see new people signing up at flame forums and when they do sign up it's usually someone from another flame forum and their first post is almost always a "You All Suck" type of thread rather than suddenly launching into a personal attack against someone they do not know. In any case, unless they happen to enjoy reading the flame posts of a particular poster, it is likely that the lurker/ potential new member wont care about what is being said nor be inclined to sign up and take part in the discussion or even keep up with it.

In short, flame forums fail to capture and keep the attention of an overwhelming number of people due to the nature of content. If they happen to keep coming back it is likely so that they can pick up some insults to use on someone at another forum.

That's just one of the many inherent problems of flame forums which I came across as an admin and tried to address with the Hot Coals. In a forum like the Coals and now the Rail, you don't need to know anyone to participate in a discussion. The subject of the thread and discussion is a topic of general interest that anyone can have an opinion about, not some other poster that you need to know in order decide if they are a jerk or not.

You can take a thread at face value and don't have to worry about whether someone is trolling or not and making you look bad because you responded to it. All you need to do is express a position about something or comment on it and if someone else is attacking what you say or asserting something incredibly stupid, then you can personally attack them while showing why he or she and their position are wrong. In short, the Hot Coals and this forum are an amalgamation of flaming and debating.

Well, the Hot Coals started to catch on even better than I had anticipated. In less than a year, there were weeks where it was outdrawing all other boards at flamechamps and attracting new and old blood alike who rarely if ever posted in the flame board. However, we were still left with the stigma of being a flametown flame board and all the liabilities and baggage that brings with it while trying to expand so we seem to hit a glass ceiling in terms of our growth rate while playing second fiddle to that heap of unoriginal digs which usually reads like a rerun of last month.

Despite the slower rate of growth lately, our content has been excellent. Especially the past few weeks with the U.S. elections and the depth of the people interested in discussing that. Despite what it sounds like, flame forums do also have some of the more intelligent and witty people around. The problem if that often times they get drowned out by the not so intelligent and the not quite witty.

The way I see it, I think we at FC reached a point in time where either we strive to reach a new audience and grow the forum by charting a course in a slightly different direction which still appeals to the base of most loyal posters while attracting new ones, or we continue down the same beaten path that we have seen every flame forum take for the past couple of years with no light in the end of the tunnel as far as new content, new blood and entertainment value. The choice is clear for me.

I have always liked, respected and gotten along fantastic with Rudey, the owner of FC but if he doesn't want to change the main focus of his board which is entirely his prerogative then I feel that now is the time to completely break away from that scene and chart one of our own.

This was made evident to me and struck me as something of an epiphany when one of our best posters and longtime flame board mod, Veronica Corningstone told me that she lost all interest in posting there and wasnt going to post at FC anymore. Even in the Hot Coals! She was quite content posting at the CNN blogs. Well without her there and considering the state of affairs, Im not sure that I have much of an interest posting there either.

So here we both are, charting our own course and we're excited about it. It's much more exciting and challenging to build something which you believe will work and watching it grow into something beyond anyone's expectations rather than following the status quo for something that you know has peaked and seen it's best days. Call it jumping the shark or whatever you like but just about all the legendary posters in flaming have come and gone and just about every nuance that can be used to flame people has been employed. Eventually after you hear the same joke told over and over, it stops being funny. It's no different with insults and the shallow mind of the uncreative.

Within time, I believe this forum will be bigger and more importantly, more entertaining than any forum in so-called Flametown. While starting this place up, I Googled "debate forums" to get some ideas and am absolutely surprised to see just how many there are out there, how many active members they have, and how most of them have something akin to a debate callout system as I started in the Hot Coals.

The Third Rail in now the new kid on the debate block and we're going to take it up a notch higher with the advent of flaming and debating. In most if not all debate forums, it is impermissible and grounds for moderation/sanction if you personally attack or flame the opponent. Not here and that is what will set us apart from the other debate forums. This is will be like debating on steroids. It will merge the best of both worlds - the intellectual challenge of a good debate about an interesting and controversial topic with the humor, wit and insulting nature of online flaming.

Those who prefer not to flame can still flourish here while those who do will not be censored or scolded by a mod as long as they stay true to the topic. If they don't then their posts won't be moved to a flame forum, it will be split and dumped.

Mindless threads of the type we're use to seeing all-time idiots like Sting's "Mephi, youre fat" and "Bra1n what happened to the [traffic] or [70000 posts]", will be summarily trashed and those type of superficial, intellectually bankrupt posters will not be allowed to flourish here.

Folks who still enjoy that kind of exchange of ideas can conform to our standards while still engaging in the mindless banter back at FC or somewhere else or they can just stick to there. We're certainly not looking to make this another flametown outpost or another textual playground for high school dropouts who are struggling with the mechanics of proper syntax. 

I think with time, we will develop our niche and carve up a good audience for ourselves. I can peer into a point in the future when our best debaters will show up at another debate board and challenge their best to a debate or just make their heads spin and have them take notice of us. That's the kind of interboard rivalry that I would enjoy. We may even become as something of an unwitting intermediate realm between debate and flame forums.

Who knows how silly this will be and sound like in a couple of years but one thing we are sure to achieve which was hard to come by where we came from is to have fun through posting while stimulating a minimal level of intellectual activity. No more will we have to read such inchoate invective whines as the ever-popular "Brain fix the forum you tit" or anything else about regs, x-regs, legions or any other banded clan of flaming e-warriors. After close to 5 years of that same crap, that alone is reason to celebrate.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
Re: Welcome to the Third Rail. Our Mission Statement..
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:49:43 PM »

Well I like it so far. I invited Manfriend to join; he's fairly smart even if he IS with me. ::)
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »

Ditto everything Brian has said.

Many of you are likely curious as to why I didn't even bother with an "exit" post at FC. Along with the sentiments expressed above, I will elaborate;

After years of trolling and flaming, I finally reached my limit. When Brian established the Coals board, I was skeptical at first. I soon embraced the concept and really enjoyed true intelligible exchange for once in my flame existence. I found it quite interesting on both a social and intellectual level.

After growing comfortable within our little group, I was still quite impatient with the morons who were consistently compelled to troll threads off topic and offer commentary and opinion that were baseless. The people who disagreed just for the sake of disagreeing because they really had nothing better to do with themselves and who could not articulate the factual reasons for which they based their opinions, made Coals feel no different than the empty exchanges to be had on the flame boards. Then there were the people who would pose their pedantic opinions, but when challenged would concede by either ignoring the challenge or try changing the subject entirely.

I sought refuge at the CNN boards. Initially my goal was to get Anderson Cooper to use my "caption this picture" quip, but I was soon enthralled with the community there and the legitimate and heated exchanges. However, CNN is heavily moderated and often times, my caustic conjecture was removed from the boards. The plus side of my time there was that I realized the negativity of Flametown and how it no longer offered anything of interest for me.

There are so many awesome personalities that I've developed a genuine liking for over the years and whose opinions and insights I've grown to embrace and look forward to reading daily. I truly feel removing ourselves from the negative elements and ill intentions of that atmosphere, will be quite rewarding and I will continue to look forward to cultivating a community of fairness and respect for privacy, without censorship and mindless interruption.

That said, I'm putting the game behind me for good and anticipate some really good times to come.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:01:35 PM »

For the record, my name isn't really Brian. That's turned into something like a stage name. :vc:

But yeah VC or should I say PoPT, I understand where youre coming from but you know there are always going to be people that can't articulate the reasons why they stand for something so well, or defend their positions or who get off topic.

In my opinion you should embrace the fact that they dont have something substantive to reply with. It is like pitching a no-hitter. It's not like they didnt try to hit the ball back to you. They just couldnt.

You should also have more patience with those who are trying but just arent doing a good job. There's all types of people out there with different education levels who want to participate and learn. Hopefully through their exchanges with you, they will get better as time goes by. But I dont think you should cut their participation off or minimize it.

As long as they are trying to stick with the format, that is what ultimately counts. If you have, say, over 100 members participating, youre bound to see varying levels of quality and that sounds what you are talking about with the Coals.

Quality while discussing a topic can vary and be worked on by people but if they don't even have the depth to follow this format and just pepper the forum with stupid shit like "Mephi is fat", then those are the people that have no business posting at a forum like this.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »

Stupid people should all go away and die.   :vc:

But seriously Brian, I understand your point and I will work on my level of tolerance to foster an equal platform for the mentally compromised to voice their opinions as well.

Obama just cut McBlunder off at the knee's! woot!

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:36:31 AM »

As Bra1n and PoPT know, FC was the first and just about only flame forum I'd ever been a part of. I joined because someone had posted the link to a thread there in one of my other groups, and I thought it would be fun, under an assumed identity, to textually abuse some stupid people, thereby releasing some pent-up frustration without having to resort to violence.

What I quickly discovered was a world full of paranoia and hostility and insecurity, where NO ONE could be trusted and EVERYONE was suspect.  I PM'ed someone early on, after having engaged in a little spat with them on the boards, and advised them that it wasn't personal on my part and that I'd found some of their remarks really funny; I was rewarded for my efforts with a four paragraph, badly written verbal assault, complete with accusations of nic-switching and Flametowne espionage.  I soon found out that there is no end to the duplicity of many of the people that participate in that setting, and that in order to become a full-fledged participant I would have to not only become really mean, but use personally painful (to the other party) information to draw blood.  That is not my nature. And the few times I made an attempt to engage in debate in the Coals, the thread was invariably attacked by the trolls and flamers, who for some reason feel compelled to drag a thread so far off track as to render it unrecognizable and unreadable.

There are, however, a handful of people that I've read in the past couple of months with whom I felt fairly comfortable, Bra1n and VC and Mags (wherever she is) among them (even if there WERE assertions that I was merely trolling VC and aping her style in some grand scheme that I simply have no time to hatch and carry out). When I read that Bra1n and VC were not going to be posting at FC, I have to admit I was somewhat upset, and I was really happy to get VC's invitation to join here.

I'm not using my FC persona here because honestly, it's just too hard to maintain a second personality for any length of time and, in any case, Ice Princess has fat thighs and crow's feet - I don't want that legacy following me around in a real forum.

Anyway, kudos to you both for setting up what seems like it's going to be a lively and stimulating forum, and thanks for the invitation to join.  Get Mags in here and I'll love you forever.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

White Rabbit

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • White Rabbit needs to post more to get noticed.White Rabbit needs to post more to get noticed.White Rabbit needs to post more to get noticed.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:35:15 PM »

Jesus Jesus, i saw Lon Chaney walking with the queen and....

Allow me a moment of angsty pomposity.

First of all i don't disagree with many sentiments contained in this here thread or others of it's stamp and Kidney bandied elsewhere..

and the "death of flaming" has been going on for god knows how long.

But it's a big wide internet, and what we called flametown was a tiny speck on the arse of the fat bloke who runs said internet.

And while i don't disagree that it's a drafty shithole most of the time, let us not forget, especially for those who came late....

These things are all relative, for me, a few years back it was a fucking hoot, everywhere you turned there were strident amusing people living it up and making hay.

I like to pompously compare it to the 60's, it was fun while it lasted and a rare influx of talent, and perhaps "trolling" and other connected bullshit killed it....

ahh but once twas a fine thing.....we should not forget the gooduns.

Still ,Orgiastic green light, boats beating ceaselessly, running faster, fat bird hit by a car...Moser out of a job....i think i have gout you know....look at my shirts....etc.

Well, I hear that Laurel Canyon
is full of famous stars,
But I hate them worse than lepers
and I'll kill them
in their cars.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »

Although my original rant was more about the dead end future of flaming than the death of it, youre absolutely right about FT being a speck on the fat arse of a Muldowney character and also the recurring "sky is falling" cries about the death of flaming.

I guess i should temper my orig post by saying that I dont think flaming is dead per se or will ever die. There will always be a few witty, creative people around like you, Mr Rabbit, to entertain those of us with a sense of dry humor, wit and sarcasm and there is no limit or quota as to what a well functioning albeit slightly inebriated mind can come up with.

In that regard, flaming as an art form will always live on. But the way I see it, what is missing from it nowadays is the art form. Humor, witty banter, sarcasm, originality and the sportsmanship aspects of it have been replaced with unoriginal name calling, unfunny lies and false claims, harassment, trolling, threats, vile hate and so-called internet terrorism. For the most part. There are a few talented folks left out there which you can find if you look under enough rocks. Lucky for us, one of them is here disguised as a bunny.

You may be a product of the 60s but I am of the 80s so I liken flaming from a few years ago as more like cocaine in the 80's in South Florida where no matter where you went there was always a party being thrown by a hispanic with an afro and a porn star mustache and it was pure entertainment. People were always having a good time or at war with each other and there were lots of big name players around all too happy to put their product on display at the drop of a dime.

Those days are the bygones of that era and we wont see them again in our lifetime, if ever. Same with organized flaming and flame forums. It never really caught on to begin with. For every FC and Bawk Mall, there are probably 5-10 dead flame forums that didnt make it. There may well be a resurgence and an incredible spontaneous influx of new talent at some point in the future but they'll just be working on trying to improve what it was like in the mid to early 00's.

Should that happen, been there, done that. Let some of the newer people try to best the Buzzsaws, R1's, Evil Bloods, cunT's and SoG's. To me at best it will be a rerun of the same styles that have already been perfected. The main problem though, is attracting new people to that community in the first place. It just ain't happening but few want to face up to it.

Discussing and debating current events by definition, never gets old.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »

Geez Louise, I feel like a double agent.  ::)

I joined FC strictly because of the people I read, and the ones who were posting at the time, aside from the Undisputed Queen of Drivel, were exactly what you guys described in your posts. Sadly, once I jumped in and started posting myself, the immediate response from said Queen was to start slapping "nic-switcher" on everything I wrote, and that seemed to bring all the trolls out from under the bridge. Aside from the couple of matches that were held in the few months that I was there, I didn't see any real flaming going on to speak of; hell, I got called out by someone who felt the need to showcase her obsession with my THIGHS. Also, as I said in another post here, whenever a real topic was brought to the table in Hot Coals, it was quickly filled with so much pedantic, extraneous spam from the great unwashed that it became intolerable trying to wade through the garbage posts to get to the actual debate posts, so I gave up trying (and I'm not talking about people who may just not have very good writing skills but DO have a valid point - I'm talking about people who c&p Wiki-facts into their otherwise incoherent epistles, peppered with "u r teh ghey's" and yew r stoopid go die's").

Of course, now that this forum is up and taking off, the Spamtastiks over there are grumbling about "elitist snobbery" and such, because apparently one can't discuss current events in a civilized manner WITHOUT being an elitist snob. I tried an experiment this morning - I made a post that had NOTHING TO DO WITH the Drivel Queen - and she felt compelled to come in and respond to the post with the same old tired nic-switching, you're-a-cnut crap. Which was then followed by no less than five posts running with that theme or arguing against it, and in five minutes the thread was completely off-topic. I just wanted to confirm it to myself. I won't be posting there that much.

:bunny:

Deviouz1

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »

now THIS seems like something i can get into. some of you may recognize me, or not, i posted at FC 34 times in a little over 2 years so its not like i was a regular poster there for precisely (uncannily so) the same reasons that BRA1N mentioned. im not going to sit here and pretend that im some uberflamer or that im overly knowledgeable, hell i got my GED when i was 15 and a tech degree when i was 28 so its not like im particularly well educated either, but i am VERY opinionated and i have the skin of a rhino so this just seems to be the perfect place for me. i look forward to not only voicing my own opinions (and likely being slapped around a bit for them) but learning more about politics and other controversial subjects from some of the funniest people ive ever read. ive learned over the years that one can only really grow in any particular area by competing against people at your level of expertise or higher and since i mostly post on gaming forums ive basically stagnated for the past several years. somehow i think this place will hone my skills like no other.

thanks for the invite BRA1N, this should be interesting.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.  This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 07:03:47 PM »

Welcome aboard, Deviouz1. To be honest, Im surprised to learn that you were 2 years at FC because although your nic sounds familiar, I dont recall ever reading you until your post in the Americans thread which I thought captured the very spirit of what we are trying to do here. In fact, I would like to repost it here:
youre a fucking tool. just like a rusty hammer in your grandfathers garage. you spew shit about "dying for freedom" when you cant even comprehend whats going on in the world around you because youre so brainwashed that you cant think straight. youre clueless and ignorant and one day, if you live long enough, youll wake up and realize these facts as truth. in an attempt to spur this realization into stark reality let me point you in the right direction. take the words as you will, believe them, dont believe them, whatever. as the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water..."

http://bbsnews.net/article.php/20070603004042207

if after reading this you still cant wrap that miniscule head of yours around the simple concepts within the article then by all means, go to iraq or afghanistan or any other coutry that your dickless president sends you and maybe once youve seen the eyes of your "enemy", and counted the dead women and kids that our country has riddled with bullets and bombs, MAYBE then youll begin to understand.

but somehow i doubt it. i have a feeling youre going to continue to be led by the nose and worship the ground our government walks on and blindly believe every lie they have told you. because youre too fucking stupid to do anything else. this is what you were born for. and this is most likely how youll die.

one thing that war is good for is removing ignorant twats like you from the gene pool. maybe after a few generations the majority of simpletons will have died off, unfortunately you will most likely be replaced with another simple drone just like you.

do me a favor, post your real info or pm it to me so that one day, in ten years or so i can visit your grave and empty my bowels upon it and wipe the shit from my asshole with a printed copy of this page. i wonder... how long will the paper stick to your headstone if its glued with feces? barring rain or heavy winds of course.

and before you begin spouting bullshit about how "unpatriotic" i am, heed these words:

"One of the great mistakes made in discussing patriotism -- a very common mistake -- is to think that patriotism means support for your government. And that view of patriotism ignores the founding principles of the country expressed in the Declaration of Independence. That is: the Declaration of Independence makes it clear that governments are artificial creations set up to achieve certain ends -- equality, life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness -- and when governments become destructive of those ends it is the right of the people in the words of the Declaration, to alter or abolish the government.

In other words, obedience to government certainly is not a form of patriotism. Governments are the instruments to achieve certain ends. And if the government goes against those ends, if the government is not defending our liberties, but is diminishing our liberties, if the government is sending young people into war or making war which is unjustified, well then the government is not following the principles of caring about life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. When the government is taking huge sums of money from education and health, and using that money for military purposes, that's a violation of the principles of the Declaration of Independence. And a government like that cannot be obeyed. To obey a government like that is not being patriotic. At that point, when a government behaves like that, it is the most patriotic thing to disobey the government"

now go, go to iraq. kill your "enemy". im sure the people there will welcome you with open arms and smiles for you are "freeing" them from their oppression. oh, and protecting "our freedom" of course... how could i possibly have forgotten that?

personally i hope one of them is strapped with C4 and suicide bombs you. only i hope its far enough away that while youre dying, your legs ripped off or your intestines spread upon the dusty ground, that youll have the time to think about what ive posted here. that you have the time to think to yourself, "why did i have to be born so stupid as to die for nothing but the whims and wishes of a man thousands of miles away who couldnt give a rats fart in a typhoon about me?" when your life blood slowly stops trickling from your torn flesh, think of me. when your eyes begin to glaze over and lose focus, think of me.  and know that your own stupidity put you in the position youre in.

To the audience, forget about whether you agree or not with the content for a minute. Why does this post capture the essence of this forum? Because it flames someone else for their views while sticking to the subject which was first raised in the thread. It makes point after point about the topic, references an external article and personally attacks the person he's responding to in an entertaining way.

What's so great about that? Well just about every debate forum and off topic forum in the internet do not allow you to flame people. The moment they open the forum up to flaming, the insecurity and fear that the forum mods and owners will be ridiculed and flamed, or something that they stand for will be attacked kicks in and they start banning people. They won't have any of it. In a sense, it's a microcosm of real life whenever someone expressed an unpopular view or does something like burn a flag. Freedom of speech unless you happen to disagree with what is being said or expressed or your belief system is being attacked.

The other side of the coin is that outside of the Hot Coals, you just dont see many substantive topics being discussed at flame forums. Instead, what you see are flatliners with very few functioning neurons like Pickes bleating on about the same idiotic tripe over and over. By any nic he wants to hide behind, you can see his thread right now about FC being a dead forum. You can search his posts and see him saying the same thing 3 months ago, 6 months ago, 9 months, 12 months ago and two years ago. THAT is what I mean about the hapless grass grazing morons who harp on about nonsense every day and somehow think that is flaming and have a notion that they are some kind of factor in the forum.

Those who enjoy that kind of shitfest, that's fine, to each their own. There's a place for everything and they have FC, TDT, F4$, BH and a bunch of others listed in Twap's Diversions to waste away from brain rot at.

I myself came to the conclusion that I would rather spend my limited time on the net discussing something more profound and engaging then forum traffic, whether feral or ladr deserves to be an x-reg at bawk mall, skanks, "twinkle-toed bullqueers" or any other of the enumerable stupid tripe that you see listed as threads up and down the index page of any flame forum. And I'd like to read what other people who are smarter than a bucket of rocks have to say about substantive real life topics too.

And D1, you bring up a good point. You dont need to have a Phd, or MBA from Wharton to post here. A strong opinion about something is good enough. Whether youre the ghost of William F. Buckley or Jed Clampet, if someone challenges what you said then you either defend it or have the courage to say that maybe you were wrong or your opinion changed after considering the arguments on the other side.

By the very nature of discussion and debates, those who participate will likely have to do a little research and consult with other sources to learn more about what they are talking about, even if they already know the topic very well. By doing that, they learn about different topics and help to develop and shape their understanding of it.

Those who just ignore the valid points that the other side makes deserve to get flamed and usually do at every discussion forum on the net, only we're not going to stop it; we encourage it. However, it shouldn't overshadow the topic like some of the things that Ice Princess or PervPhone or whatever her new nic is mentioned. We'll be more on guard here to not let threads turn into a Sinister vs Evil Bastard type of flame match.

Those who prefer to read here rather than get involved get to see both sides of the issue being discussed and maybe a chuckle or two from the entertainment value of flames but the focus will still be on the issue. In either case, youre engaging your mind, listening to different points of view and maybe even changing your original position after some thought.

You're also taking an Internet forum phenomena - flaming, and using it as a vehicle for creative expression and humor instead of futilely trying to suppress it and stamp it out like most forums try to do. It's really the best of both worlds.

Deviouz1

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 11:37:46 PM »

Welcome aboard, Deviouz1. To be honest, Im surprised to learn that you were 2 years at FC because although your nic sounds familiar, I dont recall ever reading you until your post in the Americans thread which I thought captured the very spirit of what we are trying to do here.

doesnt surprise me, like i said i was never overly involved in forum activities. you did however try to get me to enter a flame match but ive never really understood the appeal of "matches" so i declined. i have to have a reason to flame, i cant just flame for the sake of flaming. according to the human torch i stomped the shit out of Pickles when i first arrived there but that was simply because of his ridiculous habit of posting in 3rd person and... well, damn near everything about him just irked the shit out of me. i think the thread was called the velvet lounge or some shit. anyway, at one point i posted what i consider the single nastiest flame ive ever come up with towards ruler of MK and afterwards actually felt guilty enough to edit my posts out. then i read something by Omnia that just threw me for a loop and i couldnt bear to post again for some time after that. wast directed at me but DAMN that shit was just... mind bending. O.o

To the audience, forget about whether you agree or not with the content for a minute. Why does this post capture the essence of this forum? Because it flames someone else for their views while sticking to the subject which was first raised in the thread. It makes point after point about the topic, references an external article and personally attacks the person he's responding to in an entertaining way.

just for the record, i would like to clear something up about that post. i sometimes get a bit carried away as evidenced by that last part, i dont hope anyone dies in reality, i just get into a groove and the words kinda pour out of my fingers. i consider this my way of venting about things that drive me nuts without actually pounding someones head into the concrete and going to prison for the rest of my life.

anyway, once again thanks, knowing me i probably wont be posting much especially about things i dont know well enough to comment on but i will most assuredly do so when the mood strikes or if i have something i feel should be said. i gotta say, i think you may have struck gold here BRA1N, the concept of this forum is genius in my opinion.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.  This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 12:35:57 AM »

Geez Louise, I feel like a double agent.  ::)

I joined FC strictly because of the people I read, and the ones who were posting at the time, aside from the Undisputed Queen of Drivel, were exactly what you guys described in your posts. Sadly, once I jumped in and started posting myself, the immediate response from said Queen was to start slapping "nic-switcher" on everything I wrote, and that seemed to bring all the trolls out from under the bridge. Aside from the couple of matches that were held in the few months that I was there, I didn't see any real flaming going on to speak of; hell, I got called out by someone who felt the need to showcase her obsession with my THIGHS. Also, as I said in another post here, whenever a real topic was brought to the table in Hot Coals, it was quickly filled with so much pedantic, extraneous spam from the great unwashed that it became intolerable trying to wade through the garbage posts to get to the actual debate posts, so I gave up trying (and I'm not talking about people who may just not have very good writing skills but DO have a valid point - I'm talking about people who c&p Wiki-facts into their otherwise incoherent epistles, peppered with "u r teh ghey's" and yew r stoopid go die's").

Of course, now that this forum is up and taking off, the Spamtastiks over there are grumbling about "elitist snobbery" and such, because apparently one can't discuss current events in a civilized manner WITHOUT being an elitist snob. I tried an experiment this morning - I made a post that had NOTHING TO DO WITH the Drivel Queen - and she felt compelled to come in and respond to the post with the same old tired nic-switching, you're-a-cnut crap. Which was then followed by no less than five posts running with that theme or arguing against it, and in five minutes the thread was completely off-topic. I just wanted to confirm it to myself. I won't be posting there that much.

:bunny:

You forgot the illustrious war cry of "name dropper"...I know, I know it's a bastion of futility coming up with a reply to that torridly searing insult of nonsensical proportions  ::)

In time, there isn't a doubt the spamgasmics will fetter us here as well. That's when I elope with Olbermann for good. You know what they say about men with big heads... :vc:

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 09:45:12 AM »

A forum with a "Mission Statement" who would have thunk it... :slap:
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 09:50:21 AM »

tldr

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 09:58:44 AM »

tldr

Was that for me?  Sorry, I'm not into textese.  :sad:
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »

No not you but for brain. tldr=to long didn't read.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 03:59:41 PM »

At second glance, that mission statement was too focused on flame forums and much of it won't mean a whole lot to those who find us by search engine. I guess I'll have to write a revised one which is more forward looking once we start to get hits from Google.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »

I may read that one, or may not.

arete

• Aedile
  • arete probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »

Well I like it so far. I invited Manfriend to join; he's fairly smart even if he IS with me. ::)

LOL DD   :grin:
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 41 queries.