ThirdRailForum

• November 23, 2017, 04:18:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supress the Vote??  (Read 1029 times)

plus minus reset

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
Supress the Vote??
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:40:31 PM »

Are we in for a repeat of 2000 and 2004?? Is all this McCain/Palin ACORN/Voter Fraud talk another haphazard "strategy" to raise doubt over the system? How effective will this ploy be?

You would think after the last two elections, there would be a failsafe system in place.
grrr!

Officials: FBI investigates ACORN for voter fraud

WASHINGTON (AP) - The FBI is investigating whether the community activist group ACORN helped foster voter registration fraud around the nation before the presidential election. A senior law enforcement official confirmed the investigation to The Associated Press on Thursday.

A second senior law enforcement official says the FBI was looking at results of recent raids on ACORN offices in several states for any evidence of a coordinated national scam.

Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because Justice Department regulations forbid discussing ongoing investigations particularly so close to an election.

ACORN, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, says it has registered 1.3 million young people, minorities and poor and working-class voters _ most of whom tend to be Democrats.

Republican accusations about the group were raised during Wednesday's presidential debate between Democrat Barack Obama and GOP candidate John McCain.

Some ACORN employees have been accused of submitting false voter registration forms _ including some signed `Mickey Mouse' or other fictitious characters.

Those voter registration cards have become the focus of fraud investigations in Nevada, Connecticut, Missouri and at least five other states. Election officials in Ohio and North Carolina also recently questioned the group's voter forms.

ACORN has said the "vast majority" of its workers are conscientious, but some might have turned in duplicate applications or provided fake information to pad their pay. Workers caught submitting false information have been fired, ACORN officials say.

ACORN says laws in a number of states require it to submit all registration cards it collects even dubious ones, so its workers segregate applications with missing, suspicious or false information and flag them so state election officials can quickly check them further.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
Re: Supress the Vote??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »

Im sure there was fraud. There always is when you pay money to stupid slobs for the number of people they register. It's the same thing when people get paid to collect signatures for a petition. Do you think they even care about the party they are registering?

The dubious, disgusting thing about this is how the McCain camp has latched on to this straw to pin it squarely on Obama and no doubt use it as the basis for a court challenge/recount in any close state he loses if the election is close. Win at any cost personified, even if you have to lie and defame your opponent.

What he hasnt explained, is how Mickey Mouse and any of the dead people supposedly registered are going to be allowed to vote by poll workers.
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

• Senatore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »

This is what I don't quite understand...Mickey Mouse can not vote. Neither can dead people or the under aged. How exactly is it fraudulent for people to "register" fictitious characters? The person processing a registration must have to cross reference the information with some sort of system on a local level, no?

From what I just heard, this is just the beginning for McCain's voter fraud plight. Now that they've pressed the FBI to investigate, anyone with a conflicting address or perhaps a difference in name because they've married, etc. may be turned away at the polls.  ::)

Obamas campaign has sent a 7 page letter to AG Mukasey requesting a special prosecutor to investigate whether the McCain campaign and the Bush administrations justice department are illegally working together to disseminate "unsupported, spurious allegations of vote fraud"  :oh:

oh snap!  :vc: 
http://static1.firedoglake.com/28/files//2008/10/2008_10_17_letter-obama-mukasey.pdf

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 10:47:45 PM »

If anyone is shown to have engaged in a pattern of registering fake people then they should be arrested and sent to jail. It IS a crime to do that by people who get paid more money the more 'people' that they register. But it is another thing for those phony people to actually vote.

In order to vote, Mickey Mouse, fido the dog and Abraham Lincoln would all need to produce a valid picture ID by a government agency so unless there is fraud or some kind of collusion going on in the polls with the people in charge of checking IDs, i dont see where registering a million cartoon characters and pets will effect the election results.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them

• Senatore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 12:44:17 AM »

Are there or could there be actual legal repercussions in this instance where McCain is accusing Obama of allegedly having a hand in the registration of fictitious persons to vote or in the implication of the McCain campaign and the Bush admin influencing the vote in the "11th hour"?

Is the 7 page request for an investigation more like a "you better shut the fuck up before I really show you how dirty things can get" type letter?

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 01:29:13 AM »

Are there or could there be actual legal repercussions in this instance where McCain is accusing Obama of allegedly having a hand in the registration of fictitious persons to vote or in the implication of the McCain campaign and the Bush admin influencing the vote in the "11th hour"?

Sure there can but realistically speaking, it's a political issue and nothing will ever come of it. Aside from the shocking Gore v Bush case that the Supreme Court decided to hear, those type of political cases rarely get anywhere without concrete proof of something done horribly wrong. And assuming there is, what is the remedy in a case of proven voter fraud or keeping people from voting?

The only practical thing is to order another election and no court in the US is going to do that for a presidential election in my lifetime, I dont think. That's why they have something called the "political question doctrine" to begin with. Wiki it.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 09:12:35 AM »

I agree, this is more a case of the imbeciles at ACORN jacking their paychecks by creating false registrations, than a case of voter fraud. The last time I checked, a VALID government agency-issued ID was required to enter the polls and cast a vote.

On the other hand, I'm quite certain that the McCain camp is going to use this to their advantage, to cast doubt on the validity of Obama's votes. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if this was a self-created drama - McCain's people could well have planted workers at ACORN to screw with the registration process.  I know it sounds like some extreme conspiracy theory but, at this point, nothing would surprise me.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 03:07:57 PM »

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if this was a self-created drama - McCain's people could well have planted workers at ACORN to screw with the registration process.  I know it sounds like some extreme conspiracy theory but, at this point, nothing would surprise me.

Now that you mention it, I wouldnt be surprised either. Remember the Iran Contra Affair when the term plausible deniability became in vogue as to Reagan and Bush? Then it resurfaced as to Dick Cheney and Karl Rove with the Valarie Wilson spy affair?

Bush said he would fire anyone from his administration if he found out they were responsible for blowing the cover of a CIA agent whose husband has some negative things to say about the Bush administration's claims of WMD's and he wound up commuting the prison sentence via a pardon of the person convicted by a court of lying about it to protect his administration? You have to be shameless to do that and try to justify it to the American people with a straight face by saying that he (the convict) has suffered enough. That ranks right up with all of the fucked up, underhanded things in presidential politics since Iran Contra and Watergate.

So yeah, I sure as hell wouldnt be surprised to find out that the Republicans set up some dupes within Acorn to register fake people and somehow try to pin it on Obama with nothing more than a flaky connection of them being a "liberal group" who Obama supported just like a majority of Congress did when they voted for funding for them. Good ole Republicans trying to stay in power but thanks to Bush and the Republican Congress for most of this decade, it's all going to slip away in a couple of weeks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 35 queries.