ThirdRailForum

• September 26, 2017, 03:43:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-Ray  (Read 3635 times)

plus minus reset

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
Blu-Ray
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:24:06 AM »

The wife and kid are nagging my fucking ass off to get one of these players. I've done a bit of reading on these, and it just doesnt seem that the technology is quite up to snuff yet, especially the ones that are in my price range ($400, or so). We'd use it in the living room, with my 55" Mitsubishi rear projection TV (HD capable). I'm a bit concerned that the picture quality wont be a tremendous improvement, due to my TV being rear projection, but I'm not sure.

Any folks have one with a similar set-up, and are you happy with the overall result/investment?

I'm also a bit concerned that with the way technology moves, that Blue-Ray will go the same route as the Beta-Max.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
Re: Blu-Ray
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:17:40 PM »

I don't see any reason to get a Blu Ray. It's just TV ffs. If I want a theatre experience, I'll go to the theatre.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »

Reason #1: Beer

Reason #3: Smokes (legal, or otherwise)

Reason #2: The pause button, if ya gotta take a leak due to indulgence of reason #1 and don't wanna miss anything

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.
  • Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football ChampWin vs Caskur
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »

If your tv has a resolution of 1080p then Blu-ray will be a significant upgrade for you. If your tv's resolution is 720p or less then you will see absolutely no improvment from Blu-ray over DVD. If the resolution of your tv is 1080i then blu-ray will still be an upgrade over DVD, but not nearly as much as with 1080p.

Basically what that all means is that the picture quality of your movies is only going to improve with Blu-ray if your TV is true high def which is 1080p.

I hope that helped a little.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:58:53 PM »

Reason #1: Beer

Reason #3: Smokes (legal, or otherwise)

Reason #2: The pause button, if ya gotta take a leak due to indulgence of reason #1 and don't wanna miss anything

1. I don't drink.

3. I smoke during commercials if there are any, or else I wait til the show or film is done.

2. My DVR lets me pause; so does my DVD.

4. Did you number it that way on purpose? ::)
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »

If your tv has a resolution of 1080p then Blu-ray will be a significant upgrade for you. If your tv's resolution is 720p or less then you will see absolutely no improvment from Blu-ray over DVD. If the resolution of your tv is 1080i then blu-ray will still be an upgrade over DVD, but not nearly as much as with 1080p.

Basically what that all means is that the picture quality of your movies is only going to improve with Blu-ray if your TV is true high def which is 1080p.

That's pretty handy to know since we'll be getting a new tv in the next year. Thanks

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
  • OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »

That's pretty handy to know since we'll be getting a new tv in the next year. Thanks

It's a good time to buy a tv, really. LCD and Plasma have both seen massive price cuts over the last year.

18 months ago I bought a Samsung 40" 1080i LCD for $1700. 6 months ago I bought the same tv for my rec room, but 2 inches bigger for $800. I think it's only a matter of time before Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc. find a way to jack the prices back up so don't wait too long to buy one.

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »

Ya, that helped a lot, it's an HD 1080. Thanks. Well, maybe thanks...now I gotta go spend 4 bills.
1. I don't drink.

3. I smoke during commercials if there are any, or else I wait til the show or film is done.

2. My DVR lets me pause; so does my DVD.

4. Did you number it that way on purpose? ::)

Ya, it was numbered in order of priority.

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »

Ya, that helped a lot, it's an HD 1080. Thanks. Well, maybe thanks...now I gotta go spend 4 bills.
Ya, it was numbered in order of priority.

Buy a Playstation 3 :)  It's only $400 bucks too and it not only plays Blu-ray discs, it's a kick ass gaming console too!

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 02:17:19 PM »

Fuck me...long story short. We have a PS2..every year we get ourselves a family Christmas present. It was a choice between the PS3, and the Wii. I've got an 11 yr old daughter. We wanted the PS3 mainly for the blue-ray.. and wanted the Wii, for the family friendly games. After seeking advice from multiple folks, we went with the Wii (mainly for my daughter).

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »

No shame in buying the Wii. It's a great machine too. I actually really enjoy the cartoonish style of games, but yeah, you coulda killed 2 birds with one stone if you got the PS3.

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »

We're having a blast with the Wii...fo-sho. I'm really digging it, specially since COD4 was available. But yer right, killing 2 birds with one stone was the major quandary. The PS3 just didnt seem to offer the family friendly games. And that was the deal-breaker.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »

I guess it's just me, but I can't get that worked up about TV. I don't watch it that much, I'd rather go out. So I'm happy with the DVR thing from Fios so I can tape the couple shows I DO like, and my internet and phone.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 377
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »

I read a couple of days ago where Sony is expected to drop the price of the P3 to around $299 in March or April (probably to coincide with their second quarter). So unless you just cant wait, you'd be better off waiting a few weeks and getting a big discount rather than seeing you just paid $420 for a console now selling for under $300.

I plan on getting one at that point. In the meantime I still have my P2. The only reason why the Wii has taken over and Sony has plummeted is because of the price. If they were all the same price, I think Sony would trash all the others.
Deuteronomy 13:6-16

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »

I read a couple of days ago where Sony is expected to drop the price of the P3 to around $299 in March or April (probably to coincide with their second quarter). So unless you just cant wait, you'd be better off waiting a few weeks and getting a big discount rather than seeing you just paid $420 for a console now selling for under $300.

I plan on getting one at that point. In the meantime I still have my P2. The only reason why the Wii has taken over and Sony has plummeted is because of the price. If they were all the same price, I think Sony would trash all the others.

I read the same thing.. it was on a Yahoo blog, some dude with a good track record was speculating. We ended up dropping a total of $400 on our Wii set-up, we got extras though...an extra remote and numbchuck, a steering wheel attachment, a gun attachment (for my COD4), and a battery charger for the 2 remotes.

I did yap with a dude on another forum about his PS3, and he was quite clear that of all the Blu-Ray players he's tried, the PS3 was the best, hands down.

Edit: Scratch that.. I think it was 5 bills, not 4. Think the initial Wii was $399..not sure, the wife handles that shit. It mighta been $299

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »

While your assumption about Sony's price point on the PS3 being their downfall is accurate, it's not the whole truth. Nintendo had a brilliant marketing strategy when they designed and released the Wii. They hooked the only remaining untapped gaming demographic: 25-55 year old women. Nintendo gave mother's and housewives a way to relate to their children and husbands and even burn off a few pounds in the process. Not only did Nintendo exploit this untapped resource, but they managed to keep their core demographic hooked as well with classic franchises like Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid, etc. I'm betting that if the Wii was the same price as the PS3 that it still would have outsold it by a substantial amount.

Hell, even Xbox 360 is doing better than PS this generation. 25 different games sold over 1 million copies in 2008 and 16 belonged to the 360 and only 2 were PS3 titles.

The problem with PS3 is that it was designed to compete with Xbox 360 and even though it is a superior piece of hardware it was too complicated for programmers to work with because of it's cell processor resulting in the first generation of PS3 games looking the same or sometimes worse than 360 games while the 360 was $300 less. Developers are just now beginning to take advantage of PS3's potential 2 years after it was released. That's a problem.

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 02:56:52 PM »

Xboxes hardware failures is it's downfall. It's steered numerous folks, including myself, from even considering it.

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »

Xboxes hardware failures is it's downfall. It's steered numerous folks, including myself, from even considering it.

And yet the 360 has still outsold PS3 to this point by about 8 million units.

Personally I prefer Xbox to PS, but I imagine that's based totally on the types of games I enjoy. I prefer first person shooters above all else and Xbox does them better than anyone. If I were more into RPG's I'd be a PS guy hands down. It's really just a matter of preference.

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »

I wouldnt be surprised about the out selling, Xbox came out in a very decent economy, and it was 2 years prior to PS3 release, wasnt it? Microsoft defo beat Sony to the punch on that one.

Meanwhile, little-ole Nintendo is kicking everyones ass.

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 03:14:10 PM »

I'm not a gamer so the Wii is perfect for me.  I love the attachments;  tennis rackets, baseball bat, steering wheel...they are so cute!  I can now participate with my nephews when they come over!

Plus, those little characters are adorable!
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 1.817 seconds with 39 queries.