ThirdRailForum

• December 14, 2017, 09:38:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hemp Legalization  (Read 1913 times)

plus minus reset

JonkeybzazTopic starter

• Aedile
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Jonkeybzaz is a tedious twat.
Hemp Legalization
« on: January 20, 2009, 02:44:09 AM »

Industrial hemp is both the crop of the past and the crop of the future. It has been cultivated for nearly 12,000 years for various purposes, yet has come under intense governmental criticism in the past fifty years over its scant relationship to THC-producing marijuana. Perhaps after you read wha
t this plant can be used for, you will be just as outraged as I am that it has reached near-criminal status to grow in the United States and elsewhere.

Industrial hemp contains stringy, tough fibers in its outer layer which are the strongest natural fibers in the world. These fibers, like the fibers of cotton can be woven into cloth and textiles. However, hemp fibers are much longer and tougher than cotton fibers and have a natural resistance to mildew and bacteria. Clothing made from hemp fibers can also block ultraviolet rays from the sun more effectively than clothing made from other materials such as cotton or polyester. A misconception about hemp fiber is that since it is more durable, it can only be used to make coarse materials and uncomfortable clothing. This is untrue. Hemp fiber can be used to make everything from rope and water-resistant tarps to clothing material as soft as linen.

About seventy percent of the hemp plant is the hard, woody interior known as the hurd. This material can be used for a wide variety of purposes. The hurd has a high cellulose composition which makes it a prime candidate for use in paper and plastic products. An acre of hemp hurds can be used to m
ake enough paper as four acres of trees. Paper made from hemp also lasts longer than tree paper and does not require bleaching from poisonous agents such as dioxins. Plastics made from hemp are much more environmentally friendly since they are biodegradable. You may ask yourself whether or not this would affect the integrity of the plastic. Well, how often do you need to reuse the plastic packaging of a slice of cheese or package of meat? That plastic would be better of broken down into microscopic units than festering in a landfill for hundreds of years, unchanged. The hurds can even be used in building construction. If the hurd is crushed and mixed with lime, it creates a lightweight, yet durable plaster or cement which is both waterproof and fireproof. In terms of more immediate uses that don?t require refining, hurds can be made into super-absorbent chips and shavings for both gardens and animal bedding.

Hemp seeds produce oil just like soybeans and sunflower seeds. Each seed contains 30% oil and can be used in many different applications. First and foremost the oil can be used in foods and cooking, containing the highest percentage of cholesterol-fighting fatty acids of any seed in the world. In terms of industrial uses, the oil can form an effective base in paints and varnishes which dry quickly. Hemp seed oil can even be used in automobiles. The oil provides an effective engine and part lubricant and if combined with 15% methanol, the hempseed oil provides a viable alternative to diesel fuel. This hemp fuel gives off seventy percent fewer emissions than petroleum-based fuels and puts no particulates into the atmosphere. The seeds can also be consumed as a food product, similar to how corn or wheat can be mashed into flour. Each seed is 25% protein, and hemp seed flour contains levels of protein comparable if not higher than wheat flour.

In terms of how it grows, hemp is a very economic crop for farmers to grow. It can be grown in all fifty states and its root culture is different from many other farm crops. The roots penetrate deep into the ground and thus work to loosen the soil and provide aeration for subsequent crops. Furthermore, industrial hemp is quite resistant to crop diseases and few insects feed on it. Since hemp can be grown so closely packed, the need for herbicides would be minimal as a result of the inability of weeds to get adequate sunlight and nutrients between the hemp plants. A full hemp crop also only takes ninety days to grow, so more crops could be planted during the growing season. Higher yields mean higher profits. The fact that nearly every part of the industrial hemp plant can be used in an economic sector of some kind, the value of crops would be enormous. Estimates put the value of one acre of hemp at nearly twice that of an acre of cotton and four times the value of an acre of corn. The ability to grow more than one crop in a growing season adds to this figure in favor of industrial hemp.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/91616/industrial_hemp_the_most_useful_crop.html?cat=3

I'd have to do a bit more research on some of the claims made in this article, but there seem to be some grand uses if hemp was legalized and produced on an industrial values. Clothing, soil fertilization, oils, etc.

What do you think? Should hemp be legalized in America? For purpose of clarity, let's try not to make this a debate about marijuana legalization, because although marijuana comes from hemp, the two are entirely different in terms of use.

arete

• Aedile
  • arete probably just rolled in here.
Re: Hemp Legalization
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:50:47 AM »

I think it should be legal and up to US to decide
whether we want to smoke it or not just like
alcohol.

I use hemp suntan lotion.   :grin:

JonkeybzazTopic starter

• Aedile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:48 AM »

It seems to make so much sense. If it can make paper, clothing, and oils more efficiently and cleanly then we do now, why the hell aren't we using it? Because of some stupid-ass propaganda (Reefer Madness)?

There's no valid reason not to use a plant that even our founding fathers saw as monumentally beneficial; a plant made illegal because of petroleum, railroad, and forestry industries in the 30's. It's absurd.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 217
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »

yes.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »

wtf smokes HEMP? :uhuh:
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »

It seems to make so much sense. If it can make paper, clothing, and oils more efficiently and cleanly then we do now, why the hell aren't we using it? Because of some stupid-ass propaganda (Reefer Madness)?

There's no valid reason not to use a plant that even our founding fathers saw as monumentally beneficial; a plant made illegal because of petroleum, railroad, and forestry industries in the 30's. It's absurd.

Indeed. You can bet your favorite cowhide sweater vest that if the early settlers and farmers in the Carolinas planted hemp and marijuana instead of tobacco, that it would be legal right now and that tobacco with nicotine in it would be a Schedule IV controlled substance.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

V-Agent

• Agitator
  • Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Awards: 200 Reply Thread - Where the Wild Things Roam200 Reply Thread - Flametown, and why it's raining Homos100 Reply Thread - Flametown, and why it's raining Homos100 Reply Thread - Where the Wild Things Roam
  • Those little grey cells
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 02:11:32 PM »

Quote from: The Article
Industrial hemp contains stringy, tough fibers in its outer layer which are the strongest natural fibers in the world.

Hmmm... strongest plant fiber in the world perhaps, but it isn't a patch on spider web polymer, which next to buckyball thread is one of two known materials known to be strong (and tensile) enough to tether a space elevator to the nearest handy rock outcrop in the Galapagos Islands.

And unlike Carbon nanotubes it's completely natural, though you'd have to find a spider big enough to come up with that lot...

JonkeybzazTopic starter

• Aedile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 03:00:51 AM »

So am I to understand that everyone is for this?

In terms of bringing up a debatable topic...FAIL.

Although V-agent said some good stuff...got any links? Can spider web polymer do all the things hemp can?

arete

• Aedile
  • arete probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:09:17 AM »

LMAO----Looks that way

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 03:09:32 AM »

In terms of bringing up a debatable topic...FAIL.

I suffered the same pitfall with my thread "Should naked female cycling be legally enforceable ?"  :wank:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

V-Agent

• Agitator
  • Senatore
  • V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Awards: 200 Reply Thread - Where the Wild Things Roam200 Reply Thread - Flametown, and why it's raining Homos100 Reply Thread - Flametown, and why it's raining Homos100 Reply Thread - Where the Wild Things Roam
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »

got any links? Can spider web polymer do all the things hemp can?

Well it's basically silk, so yes, it most certainly could. And then some.

Problem is of course that milking spiders isn't exactly a straightforward procedure the way raising silk worms is and the yield is miniscule at best. Synthesis is still very much in the realms of applied experimentation so industrial production of the stuff is theoretical at best. A team at MIT have been doing some good work and breakthroughs have been made, but indestructible bulletproof spider silk boxer shorts are still some way off. 

A link to the MIT malarkey: http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2006/spider.html

Right down the bottom is a link to a more extensive .pdf on the subject.

Addendum: while digging around for links, I came across this rather peculiar little tid-bit:

Scientists at Nexia, a small startup company, have been able to harvest spider silk from the milk of genetically altered goats.

Maybe it's just me, but I had a rather strong Monty Python moment as I read that, I mean you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried, I swear.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »

I vaguely remember from a very stoned conversation that you can make airplanes from hemp as the fibres can be formed into solid blocks, not that I'd like to fly in one.  The matey at the time seemed to be blaming DuPont for lobbying to get hemp banned way back when in some form of business protectionist move, the general consensus at the session was how the world was a poorer place for this unjustified ban. 

After that we went on to form an action committee to demand the installation of chocolate milk dispensers on every street corner  :bong: :chong:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 08:08:25 PM »

WHO THE FUCK SMOKES HEMP??? SOMEONE ANSWER MY FUCKING QUESTION DAMMIT!
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »

WHO THE FUCK SMOKES HEMP??? SOMEONE ANSWER MY FUCKING QUESTION DAMMIT!

The same people that scrape out bong residue and unwrap roaches at 4am monday morning.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »

The same people that scrape out bong residue and unwrap roaches at 4am monday morning.

Thank you dear. I'm going to watch my movie now.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 10:43:29 PM »

Thank you dear. I'm going to watch my movie now.

Are you one of those people that has to externalise your every thought and action with a post ?  Who posted that ?!  Who am I !?!  SEND HELP NOW ITS NOT TO LATE.....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

thekid65

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 06:24:04 AM »

And thats the problem with legalizing it. Dumb fuckers will be stuffing their bong bowls with torn up t-shirts made from hemp, unraveling rope made from it, and twisting up doobies...etc, etc, etc.

V-Agent

• Agitator
  • Senatore
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »

thekid65

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 03:21:11 PM »

Heh.. I remember rolling one of those back in the day with the paper that came in a Cheech and Chong album..cant remember if it was the Yellow Album, or Up in Smoke. Took that fucker to a concert...damned thing went up and down the row of countless times.

JonkeybzazTopic starter

• Aedile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 09:11:29 PM »

Well it's basically silk, so yes, it most certainly could. And then some.

Problem is of course that milking spiders isn't exactly a straightforward procedure the way raising silk worms is and the yield is miniscule at best. Synthesis is still very much in the realms of applied experimentation so industrial production of the stuff is theoretical at best. A team at MIT have been doing some good work and breakthroughs have been made, but indestructible bulletproof spider silk boxer shorts are still some way off. 

A link to the MIT malarkey: http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2006/spider.html

Right down the bottom is a link to a more extensive .pdf on the subject.

Addendum: while digging around for links, I came across this rather peculiar little tid-bit:

Maybe it's just me, but I had a rather strong Monty Python moment as I read that, I mean you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried, I swear.

I mean, can you use this spider-silk-super-shit to make oils and fuel and everything in between? I'm too lazy to read stuff right now so I figure I'll ask some easy Qs.

And to Kid, about your whole "people stuffing shirts in bongs" deal, what about people who go around at the end of the night drinking half-empty beers that are lukewarm and mostly spit? I see no difference between those dumbasses and your proposed dumbasses. Seems only fair to have both.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 41 queries.