ThirdRailForum

• October 24, 2017, 07:01:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salaries  (Read 1102 times)

plus minus reset

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
Salaries
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »

[rant]So I'm reading today that Ryan Howard wants 18 million next year. This shit is really beginning to irritate me, especially the way the economy is. Granted, the dude is a stud player...but dont these fuckers realize the overall harm they are doing to the game? I'm not just talking baseball here. The recession hasnt hit the sports industry yet, actually, I take that back.. the AFL did fold for a year, and theyve made some serious cutbacks on the salary caps for teams, in hopes to re-open next year.

Folks are losing their jobs left and right in the real world.. the same folks who could afford to buy tickets to the games wont be buying them this year. And these selfish pricks want more, and more, and more....WTF, 5 million isnt enough to live comfortable on? And if you have a crap season, ya still wanna get paid, dont ya....

Makes me fucking ill. I'm almost hoping for a collapse of the industry, just to bring these fuckers back down to reality. I'd like to see teams adapt something similar to golf. A golfer goes out, plays well..the motherfucker gets paid. He doesnt play well, he's sleeping in the Motel 6, when he's playing in the next tourneys.

I realize that would be a bit trickier to institute for a team sport, but one certainly could base ones salary on performance, and guarantee nothing. I guess living in Idaho is a blessing in a way, we have no pro sports teams...because I love to go to games...but fuck, I dunno if I could afford it on a regular basis.

It's time for these guys to do what's right for the sport, and take into account the folks that really pay their salaries...us, the fans. [/rant]

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.
  • Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football ChampWin vs Caskur
Re: Salaries
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »

The reason sports have been recession proof so far is because for the most part they all signed long-term deals for television, endorsements, facilities, etc when the economy was good. Wait a few more years and see if the NFL or MLB get as big of TV deals when they go to renegotiate if the economy keeps getting worse.

Right now the players have every right to demand this kind of money because if it wasn't going into their pockets the owners would just be hording it, and don't think for a fucking second that if player saleries decreased that ticket prices would follow. You'd still be paying through the nose and the owners would be getting a bigger slice of the pie.

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »

Once the owners start losing ticket sales because Joe Blow cant afford to take his family to see the game... and quit selling luxury boxes to corporations because budgets are being slashed, then hopefully they'll see the light also. The shit has got to stop, nobody is worth that kind of money for playing a sport...or for doing anything, IMO. Companies will be cutting their advertising budgets, fo-sho. Shit is getting cut everywhere, and I cant imagine that the sporting market will be immune from this.

Johnny Storm

• Model Citizen, Zero Discipline!
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 285
  • Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: TRF Flame ChampWin vs feral, Breakfall100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is so gay..100+ Reply Thread - My thoughts on Jorge Zimmerman2008 Fantasy Football Champ
  • WOOO WOOO!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »

Once the owners start losing ticket sales because Joe Blow cant afford to take his family to see the game...

WHOA!  Stop right there!

That's been happening for the past 20 years.  These sports commisioners/owners are smarter than that.  Even if corporate America gets it's comeuppance and CEO can't fleece their companies anymore for perks like luxury boxes, they'll just get subsidies from public funds or foreign company will buy the boxes. 

Middle-class families, especially lower middle-class, going to games frequently are a thing of the past.  Why try and fill the seats when Joe Blow and his family can watch the game at home?  In turn, TV pays for the status quo.....win-win.

You hate us because you ain't us, son!

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 06:37:17 AM »

WHOA!  Stop right there!

That's been happening for the past 20 years.  These sports commisioners/owners are smarter than that.  Even if corporate America gets it's comeuppance and CEO can't fleece their companies anymore for perks like luxury boxes, they'll just get subsidies from public funds or foreign company will buy the boxes. 

Middle-class families, especially lower middle-class, going to games frequently are a thing of the past.  Why try and fill the seats when Joe Blow and his family can watch the game at home?  In turn, TV pays for the status quo.....win-win.

Yeah, I guess I should have said Joe "I'm a little better than middle class" Blow. A lot of those folks have lost their jobs over the last year. I do realize that the average Joe really hasnt been able to afford to take his family to the game. Heh..I remember BITCHING about having to pay $25/ticket for bleacher seats to watch the Cardinals in the 82 World Series. That same $25 would barely get me 2 beers at Yankee Stadium nowadays.

Folks are going to become more and more resentful of this shit, methinks. I'm also of the opinion (or hope) that if the large companies are forced to cut back on their advertising budgets, that the TV folks wont be able to charge as much for commercial time, and therefore not spend as much to renew their rights to televise the games. It may take a bit, as some contracts have just been recently signed.

I've always been resentful of the insane amount of money these guys make, and probably a little more so with todays economy.

Johnny Storm

• Augustus
  • Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: TRF Flame ChampWin vs feral, Breakfall100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is so gay..100+ Reply Thread - My thoughts on Jorge Zimmerman2008 Fantasy Football Champ
  • WOOO WOOO!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:52:23 AM »

I've always been resentful of the insane amount of money these guys make, and probably a little more so with todays economy.

Be resentful all you want, but just remember the inequity in sport salaries only mimic what's happen in the real world.  CEO's getting paid tens of millions of dollars to lay off tens of thousands of workers is utterly disgusting.

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:01:20 AM »

Be resentful all you want, but just remember the inequity in sport salaries only mimic what's happen in the real world.  CEO's getting paid tens of millions of dollars to lay off tens of thousands of workers is utterly disgusting.

The outcry/backlash is beginning to show itself with the CEO's. The shareholders are actually starting to hold these fucksticks accountable for their actions. Hopefully the sports fans will follow suit, as they starting to with overpaid stars that dont preform. I know I'm not the only one whose noticed a significant increase in the fans booing their players in the home stadiums. We have a long way to go.. but it's a start.

Viva La Revolution

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »

I think that all ballplayers are way overpaid.  Saying that.....

Just 2 weeks ago the Junkies..errr. the Yankess paid multi-multi million dollar packages for their ballplayers, yet they went hat in hand to the NYC planning commission looking for big buck handouts to continue to build "their" stadium, wtf...they are getting millions in tax incentives and also millions in public financing to build this piece of shit in the worst urban blighted area known to man (other than the Devils Arena in fucking Newark,NJ), yet they have the need to ask for more?

Holy shit, NYC has no balls when it comes to sports!

"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »

On a point that kid made earlier...executive boxes are already WAY down for the Premiership.  TV advertising revenue is getting battered by the internet as well.  The big clubs will be somewhat sheltered from the depression but plenty of smaller fish will go under.

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 07:10:28 PM »

Out of curiosity deB..what are the top salaries/year for the big name footballers in the UK?

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »

Out of curiosity deB..what are the top salaries/year for the big name footballers in the UK?

Fucking huge but nowhere near US standards, but bear in mind we have the richest league in the world.  You'd be looking at between $25-$50 mill to buy an international standard star and the average weekly salary would be between $100,000 - $200,000 and thats mostly because your TV deals are astronomical

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

Johnny Storm

• Augustus
  • WOOO WOOO!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:41:31 PM »

Peter Gammons was ripping someone on M&M about $25 million a year not being enough.  I think it was one of the Phillies. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 37 queries.