ThirdRailForum

• September 26, 2017, 03:26:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Extortion or Free Enterprise?  (Read 1813 times)

plus minus reset

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 377
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
Extortion or Free Enterprise?
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »

Plot thickens in Travolta extortion case

Police in the Bahamas are deepening their investigation into an alleged plot to extort up to $25m from Hollywood star John Travolta over the death of his 16-year-old son.

A prominent politician on the island of Grand Bahama, Pleasant Bridgewater, quit as a member of the Bahamas senate over the weekend, and investigators questioned a former tourism minister who had claimed to be a close friend of the Travoltas.

Sixteen-year-old Jett Travolta was found unconscious in a bathroom at the family?s holiday home on the island on 2 January, and hospital authorities concluded he died of a seizure.

Tarino Lightbourne, a paramedic who said he tried to revive him is still in custody, on suspicion of being part of an extortion plot, although neither the local police nor Mr Travolta?s lawyers have released details of the alleged scam.

Early reports suggested that Mr Lightbourne and others had been trying to get money in return for suppressing a photo of the 16-year-old just before he died, but conflicting accounts are now circulating in the island of 75,000 people.

The former tourism minister, Obie Wilchcombe, was questioned by police last Friday, it has emerged. He was involved in a negotiation with Mr Travolta?s lawyers which, according to some allegations, demanded payments of between $10m and $25m. He was released without charge.

So let's get this straight. John Travolta, a big star and scientologist was vacationing in the Bahamas when sadly his kid died. Let's assume that SOMEONE took photos of the big star's dead kid. Let's further assume that the person who took the photos got together with other persons and had in mind to sell the pics to an outfit like National Enquirer for 25 million dollars.

Let's say that instead of first going to the National Enquirer, these people approached Travolta's people and gave him the option of buying said pics for around the same price that the Enquirer was willing to pay - $25 million, negotiable.

If Tavolta doesnt want to pay it all he has to do is tell them to fuck off and then the SOMEONE can just sell the photos to the Enquirer or any other rag willing to pay for them. If they have any business sense, they will no doubt contact several of the largest tabloid rags in the world and start a bidding war to see who will pay the most. 

Is this really extortion? Had they not contacted Travolta, would they have done anything illegal? I dont think so. To my knowledge it's not against the law to publish a picture of a dead person in the Bahamas.

It's too bad that you have people stooping to that but hey, youre a fucking celebrity. That's part of the gig. The same people who spend $50 million to see your movie the first weekend it's released also want to know shit about you including seeing pics of your dead son.

Regardless of the legality it seems to me that what this does is to cause people to sell unflattering photos of celebrities to the rags instead of giving them the option of keeping it out of the public eye. It's shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me.

What do you guys think?

Deuteronomy 13:6-16

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 201
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
Re: Extortion or Free Enterprise?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »

Dead or alive the kids a juvenile and then theres privacy laws?

Its the guys dead son so likley to cause duress hence exstortion imo.

Its fucking sick, people who would pay to see these pics need flogging, and people call me a freaky pervert!

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:56:21 PM »

"Well you can tell by the way they shot the corpse, its Travolta's boy, off down the morgue..ah ah ah ah not stayin' alive"

There's more to this than meets the eye.....

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:18:24 AM »

obies last name is wilchcombe?? that almost sounds jewish  :vc:

...anyway

hmpf, this is a good question. i wonder if hppa laws extend to the bahamas? technically, i would think if the paramedic was there trying to resuscitate the child before he was declared dead, the child would be considered a patient. therefore, medical personnel taking the kids picture to begin with would break some sort of confidentiality law, no?

as far as "extortion" goes; it would seem like asking for millions of dollars for an opportune picture of a celebrities dead child could likely fall under that definition, no?
suppose travolta anted up the money? whats to say the creep wouldnt just turn around and sell the photos to a tabloid anyway or threaten to do so for even more money??
2.    Law. the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.
3.    oppressive or illegal exaction, as of excessive price or interest: the extortions of usurers.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:37:49 AM »

Those su-mmmer na-aaaaaaghtts! tell me more, tell me more.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »

hmpf, this is a good question. i wonder if hppa laws extend to the bahamas?

LOL, no dear, HIPPA and our other Congressional Acts don't extend to the sovereign nation of the Bahamas.  :lmao:

suppose travolta anted up the money? whats to say the creep wouldnt just turn around and sell the photos to a tabloid anyway or threaten to do so for even more money??

Well, that's kind of my point. Travolta can say no if he asks for money and then they can sell the pics to whomever they want.

If Tavolta pays them but they publish them anyways, then Travolta can sue them for damages for breach of contract like any other person who breaks a binding agreement.

The invasion of privacy deal that Cookie touched on is something worth looking into as to whether it exists and if a dead person has any privacy protection but assuming all those hurdles are cleared, it's likely to be a civil matter, not a criminal one.

There may be more to this like deb says but right now Im leaning in favor of the arrested Bahamians that this shouldnt be a criminal matter.

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:31:02 PM »

LOL, no dear, HIPPA and our other Congressional Acts don't extend to the sovereign nation of the Bahamas.  :lmao:
hehehehe! i dunno! i never thought about it before mushy!  :lmao:

Well, that's kind of my point. Travolta can say no if he asks for money and then they can sell the pics to whomever they want.

If Tavolta pays them but they publish them anyways, then Travolta can sue them for damages for breach of contract like any other person who breaks a binding agreement.

The invasion of privacy deal that Cookie touched on is something worth looking into as to whether it exists and if a dead person has any privacy protection but assuming all those hurdles are cleared, it's likely to be a civil matter, not a criminal one.

There may be more to this like deb says but right now Im leaning in favor of the arrested Bahamians that this shouldnt be a criminal matter.

yeah, it would seem morally wrong on many levels and it really is. but as reprehensible as the acts are, i dont see anything illegal about them either.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:40 AM »

Nope. Just grimy people doing grimy things.

People suck.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:17:14 PM »

that they do, but brian is right. travolta has willingly commanded a public presence and has franchised astronomically off our interest in him as an entertainer. though his child should be off limits, he was unfortunately part of the package. i havent read any more about this lately. i'm dying to know how it turns out.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:21:22 PM »

that they do, but brian is right. travolta has willingly commanded a public presence and has franchised astronomically off our interest in him as an entertainer. though his child should be off limits, he was unfortunately part of the package. i havent read any more about this lately. i'm dying to know how it turns out.

depends on privacy laws and exstortion laws....

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 12:29:07 PM »

All these skwerls are freakin' me out man.  :uhuh:
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »

All these skwerls are freakin' me out man.  :uhuh:

deal with it........

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »

Stoooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 10:48:47 PM »

It's so sad and sick. I understand it may not be a crime, but there should be some kind of say though, if there's a dead family member's pictures whether they are published or not. This is for any human not just a celebrity.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »

What kind of sick fuck takes pictures of a dead kid anyway? :uhuh:

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »

What kind of sick fuck takes pictures of a dead kid anyway? :uhuh:

An ambulance driver in a third world country? Turns out that the item in question may not be a picture after all but simply some kind of release form stating the ambulance company wasnt liable if Travolta took the kid to Florida instead of to the Bahamian hospital like he supposedly wanted to do.

I dont understand what the big deal is. Even if it was a pic, as long as it wasnt stolen from Tavolta or something that belonged to him, they should have a right to do with it as they please including profit from it. If they dont want this to happen then they should pass a law that says ambulance drivers arent allowed to sell documents or take pictures of patients.

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »

for some reason the fact that it was only a document makes the whole situation a non issue for me. i think my only problem with the whole picture thing is that nobody should have to see their dead child on the cover of some rag. it's just wrong.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 05:43:42 PM »

for some reason the fact that it was only a document makes the whole situation a non issue for me. i think my only problem with the whole picture thing is that nobody should have to see their dead child on the cover of some rag. it's just wrong.

What if he were still alive as he was being carted into the ambulance? Would that make a difference? What if it was in a hotel lobby where the kid had the seizure right when a group of Japanese tourist with 3 cameras each were passing by and they snapped hundreds of photos? Would you throw them in jail if any of them want to sell their pics to a commercial media outlet which makes a living from publishing personal details about "stars"?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 40 queries.