ThirdRailForum

• July 23, 2017, 11:00:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 45,000 jobs in one fucking day  (Read 1151 times)

plus minus reset

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
45,000 jobs in one fucking day
« on: January 26, 2009, 04:41:55 PM »

Ya, I'm worried. Those of you that know me, know what I do. For those that dont... I work in a plant that makes and coats parts for the semiconductor industry. Nobody is buying computers these days, so we're looking at the strong possibility of another layoff in the next week or so. My job is safe from this layoff...but I have to wonder about the overall health of the plant, and whether we can survive. The whole fucking thing is getting very depressing. Today I read about:

Caterpillar,Home Depot, GM, Pfizer and Sprint

45,000 jobs, pretty much gone in one day. Every Godamned day I open up the Yahoo, only to read the same shit.

I dunno what the solution is, but somehow I doubt a Government funded infrastructure project is gonna do the trick.

End of rant, thanks for your time.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
Re: 45,000 jobs in one fucking day
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:50:15 PM »

Dude, I know what you mean. I USED TO BE in mutual funds; right before Thanksgiving 1/3 of my department got laid off. Two weeks ago (yeah, it took that long) I got hired elsewhere, and I start at the end of the month. Meanwhile I've been temping at a fuel oil company, getting yelled at all day for shitty money but it's something.

I don't know what the solution is, but this shit is fucking scary.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:01:31 PM »

Thats the other deal... nobody is fucking hiring..and let me ask you this, in your new job, are you making what you were at your old one?

THE BRA1N

• Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 362
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »

I don't know what the solution is, but this shit is fucking scary.

Best thing to do is to try and hang on however you can to get by until this passes. This is a good time to be in school living off student loans if anyone out there is a few credits short of a degree.
Deuteronomy 13:6-16

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:19:27 PM »

I think we're talking about a solid year of this shit, Bra1n, dont you? Honestly, if I was a young buck, I'd seriously be looking at the military nowadays.

A little more gloom and doom

Ya know, the wife and I (last year) were discussing buying a bigger house this June..we've outgrown this one. How in the fuck can I do that wondering if I'll have a job at the end of the year? I've been with my company 21 years.. and I've seen a few slow months in my day, believe me..but it's never been anything close to what I'm seeing now.

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 12:45:04 AM »

its bad. so very bad. this is the first wave and i'm afraid its only going to get worse. i'm certain we havent seen the other side of how many mortgages will actually succumb to default.

it is still infinitely disturbing to me that our government officials were so apt to push money on the banking industry no questions asked and yet made the backbone of what manufacturing industry is left in this country, grovel like insolent children. the banks made just as many if not more haphazard moves as the auto companies did, yet were seemingly rewarded.

at this point, if i were in obamas shoes i would make the banking industry just as accountable for the money allocated to them, as they did the auto industry. if these banks can not justify where the money that has been given to them has gone thusfar, they should be fined and made to pay it back with interest because they havent dispensed it for the purpose it was intended for.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:09 AM »

Thats the other deal... nobody is fucking hiring..and let me ask you this, in your new job, are you making what you were at your old one?

Try half. :sad:
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »

Caterpillar is laying off over 20,000; Home Depot 8,000; Pfizer & Wyeth just merged and laying off 5,000.  And the hits just keep on coming...

I'm just thankful that people break their bones, otherwise I would be unemployed too.
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:22:51 PM »

Ya, I'm worried. Those of you that know me, know what I do. For those that dont... I work in a plant that makes and coats parts for the semiconductor industry. Nobody is buying computers these days, so we're looking at the strong possibility of another layoff in the next week or so. My job is safe from this layoff...but I have to wonder about the overall health of the plant, and whether we can survive. The whole fucking thing is getting very depressing.

So yeah, last week my boss told me on the down-lo that we're gonna lose 14 employees, now while that may not sound like a lot to ya'll, it's a little less than  25% of our staff. Fucking sucks balls. To make shit worse, one of the guys that's going is the guy I've worked side-by-side with for the last 21 years. It's a real fucking pisser, as I want to give him the heads up, but i cant. We've tried everything to save the dudes job, but the corporate office is hell bent on cutting the dude as they don't see him as being "cross-trainable" (able to work in other dept's, within the plant).

Meh, it's a real bummer. I'm glad my job is safe, but it sucks going to work and acting like everything is "normal", especially with my co-worker.

Caught this link on a website today, found it quite interesting. We all hear about the big companies laying off folks, but this site gives you a glimpse at the "little guy" too.

http://www.layoffdaily.com/

double helix

• down and out
  • Aedile
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • double helix probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »

Loss of jobs with unemployment creeping up to 8% and spending taking a nose dive is scary. Rapid economic collapse and a summer hike in gas prices, ie. prices for everything else too, that pretty scary too!

What's most scary of all is watching the new administrations stimulus bill sail through the house with less than 8% of the nearly 900 billion going for actual economic stimulus and the rest labored down with hefty pork barrel projects specific to the political participants day dreams for their states.
I was glad to see the Senate slam on the brakes and start taking a closer look as this stimulus package.

Scary too, has been watching Obama appointing people to administration positions who "forgot, overlooked, mistakenly" didn't pay hundreds of thousands in taxes. HUH! You mean I can "forget" to declare some of my income and get away with it? Not on your life. IRS would be on me like white on rice.
Then, having declared in his campaign that he would never appoint anyone who had worked as a lobbyist, watching him appoint 12 (at today's count) former lobbyist to his administration.
It looks to me like Obama has a philosophy of "do as I want, not as I say"
I don't know about anyone else but here in Alaska we are being bombarded by adds from Obama's administration to call, write or e-mail our Republican Senator Murkowski and TELL her to vote for his stimulus package. Like we could TELL her anything and expect her to listen, or  like we would tell her to vote for it as it is now.

Does this current stimulus package still carry 3 million earmarked for condoms for the world?   :lmao:

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:37:02 PM »

So yeah, last week my boss told me on the down-lo that we're gonna lose 14 employees, now while that may not sound like a lot to ya'll, it's a little less than  25% of our staff. Fucking sucks balls. To make shit worse, one of the guys that's going is the guy I've worked side-by-side with for the last 21 years. It's a real fucking pisser, as I want to give him the heads up, but i cant. We've tried everything to save the dudes job, but the corporate office is hell bent on cutting the dude as they don't see him as being "cross-trainable" (able to work in other dept's, within the plant).

Meh, it's a real bummer. I'm glad my job is safe, but it sucks going to work and acting like everything is "normal", especially with my co-worker.

Caught this link on a website today, found it quite interesting. We all hear about the big companies laying off folks, but this site gives you a glimpse at the "little guy" too.

http://www.layoffdaily.com/

Ugh I hear you. It's so hard, especially when some of them ask me "are we ok?" I can't say anything except "Yep we are ok" - yeah the company is ok, but we have to let you go this Thursday to make sure we continue to be ok.

JimmyBlonde

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »

I can see where you are coming from kid. I live in a country beset by it's most prolonged drought in recorded history and I work in the viticultural sector.

Thankfully I changed my employer to a larger concern with the resources to weather a storm but all the same I can see the landscape changing from year to year.

Six years back it wasn't uncommon for me to walk into a vineyard and have a job the next day, these days however those same jobs I was doing are done by imported labour for half the price and at half the quality. Luckily I used my time to develop my skills and I can still get a seasonal income but there are a lot of people who are short of skills being pushed out onto the street so these companies can save a few bucks at the expense of their infastructure.

As a long term proposition I am getting pretty edgy about what opportunities might be available for some one with my skills a few years from now.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 03:06:36 PM »

Ya, I'm in a similar boat, Jimmy. I've pretty much done 2 things in my life..cooking (about 6 years) and what I do now, Anodizing (going on 22 years). While I do what I do very well, I'm definitely limited in my skill-sets. Fuck me if my plants takes a shit, and I gotta go back to cooking in order to get by.

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 12:17:05 PM »

What's most scary of all is watching the new administrations stimulus bill sail through the house with less than 8% of the nearly 900 billion going for actual economic stimulus and the rest labored down with hefty pork barrel projects specific to the political participants day dreams for their states.
Where the fuck do you get your statistics  :slap:? Link please (and no New Order or Republinazi bullshit)...

Quote from: DH
Scary too, has been watching Obama appointing people to administration positions who "forgot, overlooked, mistakenly" didn't pay hundreds of thousands in taxes. HUH! You mean I can "forget" to declare some of my income and get away with it? Not on your life. IRS would be on me like white on rice.
Then, having declared in his campaign that he would never appoint anyone who had worked as a lobbyist, watching him appoint 12 (at today's count) former lobbyist to his administration.

I am far from a Obama supporter, but I have to say he is not to blame for the appointments, the blame needs to be placed on his vetting team...they suck! 

As to the lobbyist, yeah, I'll give you that.
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Angelica

• Imperator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »

DH, I thought you and your Repug friends might use a laugh...

http://www.youtube.com/v/8PqI12R8YNU&hl=en&fs=1

double helix

• down and out
  • Aedile
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • double helix probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 10:17:55 PM »

Where the fuck do you get your statistics  :slap:? Link please (and no New Order or Republinazi bullshit)...
Awe hell, Angelica, I read in a thread on FG when the bill sailed through the House of Reps. I shoulda known better than to repeat anything from there.

I am far from a Obama supporter, but I have to say he is not to blame for the appointments, the blame needs to be placed on his vetting team...they suck! 
OH! oh, I see. Blame Bush for every thang that went wrong in his adminstration but the Bamanator, hes not to blame for approving the choices his advisors made. Umhmm. I see how it is. :stir:

As to the lobbyist, yeah, I'll give you that.
Yeah? Well I heard that one on the news as I was making my post so  :oh: :2thumbs:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 41 queries.