ThirdRailForum

• November 17, 2017, 09:44:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the worst pop singer ever...billy joel!? i think not!  (Read 507 times)

plus minus reset

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
the worst pop singer ever...billy joel!? i think not!
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:18:51 AM »

so, i'm just about ready to shut shit down for the evening and turn in and my eye spots this fucking article!!

The Worst Pop Singer Ever

By Ron Rosenbaum

This may seem an odd moment to bring up the subject of Billy Joel. But the recent death of the painter Andrew Wyeth revived a long-standing debate over whether his art is respectable or merely sentimental schlock. (Say it: good or bad?) It got me to thinking about the question of value in art and whether there are any absolute standards for judging it. It indicates the question is still alive, not relegated to irrelevance by relativism.

And then I picked up The Art Instinct, a new book by Denis Dutton, the curator of the Arts & Letters Daily Web site. The book strives valiantly to find a basis for judging the value of art from the perspective of evolutionary psychology; in it, Dutton argues that a certain kind of artistic talent offered a competitive advantage in the Darwinian struggle for survival.

Which brings me to Billy Joel the Andrew Wyeth of contemporary pop music and the continuing irritation I feel whenever I hear his tunes, whether in the original or in the multitude of elevator-Muzak versions. It is a kind of mystery: Why does his music make my skin crawl in a way that other bad music doesn't?

i replied to his blog and thought i would share my sentiments, theyre as follows.  :vc:

ron rosenbaum, youre an asshole ive never heard of. while i dont possess a single joel album and i wouldnt kill myself to get tickets to see him, ive been to several of his shows, there is not one tune of his i can say i dislike, he's a brilliantly timeless artist and has been a constant musically during just about my entire existence. he is a staple of americana, regardless of what you think is art. stick that in your tight ass and smoke it.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
Re: the worst pop singer ever...billy joel!? i think not!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »

I like Billy Joel, even if he DOES run down trees in Amagansett. Shit, there's too many trees out there anyway.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:23:23 AM »

i like him too! every time i try to think of which song i like best, i always remember another one i like a lot!

ron rosenbaum is a faggot.

KingChile

• Yellowbeard
  • Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • KingChile probably just rolled in here.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Projectile Vomit vs Caskur voting100+ Reply Thread - Flametown : past it's used by date?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:50:32 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 36 queries.