ThirdRailForum

• August 22, 2017, 08:52:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media coverage of police chases  (Read 1305 times)

plus minus reset

FipronilaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
Media coverage of police chases
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »

This has been a big topic here due to this recent incident:
http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=8324321&version=12&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

is media coverage of police chases glorifying it even though it's crazy dangerous?

On the radio the other day one caller defended it as saying it is bringing news to people so they can see where the incident is happening and advise loved ones on the road to move out of the way.

The host of the show (yes, Tom Leykis of all people, I think he's pretty fuickin funny) stated the media should just advise where the chase is taking place and not air video of the event as it happens.

I think that showing it is fine, parents need to tell their kids it's NOT something normal people do and they ALWAYS get caught, I mean really, who the fuck ever gets away?

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
Re: Media coverage of police chases
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:12:10 AM »

I don't think it's up to the fracking news people to keep my kids from engaging in high speed chases. It's my job. I also don't let my kids sit in front of the goddamned television all day watching ANYTHING. They're only allowed 30 minutes per day during the week, an hour on weekends unless it's a movie or other DVD. They'd rather not waste their time watching stupid shit like that, so yeah, the news should report the news and parents should parent their children.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

FipronilaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Your Mom
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:01:32 PM »

I fully let my kids watch all that crap! They are boys who love cars and love wildest police videos, operation repo, cops, all that. They sure as fuck will never have the keys to my car until I am teaching them how to drive.

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:03:47 AM »

What's better, the high speed chase, or the cops beating the shit out of the car-jackers when they finally stop them.... :rotf:

High speed chases in inner cities need to stop! 
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:39:11 AM »

Spoilt Yank fuckers, we don't get any of this, mind you, there's only so much speed you can get out of a Mini Cooper  :wheelchair:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »

I fully let my kids watch all that crap! They are boys who love cars and love wildest police videos, operation repo, cops, all that. They sure as fuck will never have the keys to my car until I am teaching them how to drive.

Your house has to be WAY too testosteroney.  :rotf:

I have girls. But my 7 year old would sit in front of Superhero and cop shows 24/7 if I let her. So I don't. I'm dreading the day she discovers Chris' DVD collection of superhero cartoons.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

JimmyBlonde

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:02:35 AM »

I got away once.

:grin:

Never did it again though, I was shitting bricks for a week after that.

I suppose you could take another angle and say that these shows glorify the good job that police do in protecting people from dangerous drivers. I think that this is the angle a lot of these shows try to portray.

Personally, I watch it because it's exciting stuff that really happened.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

FipronilaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 06:09:46 PM »

That's exactly how I always took it - as showing you can't get away like you can in the movies.

Oh shit I watched superbad last night - that was some funny cop action.

Pers - lmao I think I have more testosterone than they do sometimes!

FipronilaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 01:17:08 AM »

:rotf: LOLOLOLOL! There's a slow speed chase through LA and El Segundo right now on all the channels. It's a little retarded.

FipronilaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 03:04:12 AM »

in case anyone is still up here's the live feed

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/livenow?id=6650158

JimmyBlonde

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 04:42:44 AM »

Gee, these yank coppers are pretty hot aren't they. They can tazer and pepper spray anything that moves but a simple road block is beyond them.

You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

THE BRA1N

• Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 374
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »

This has been a big topic here due to this recent incident:
http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=8324321&version=12&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

is media coverage of police chases glorifying it even though it's crazy dangerous?

On the radio the other day one caller defended it as saying it is bringing news to people so they can see where the incident is happening and advise loved ones on the road to move out of the way.

The host of the show (yes, Tom Leykis of all people, I think he's pretty fuickin funny) stated the media should just advise where the chase is taking place and not air video of the event as it happens.

I think that showing it is fine, parents need to tell their kids it's NOT something normal people do and they ALWAYS get caught, I mean really, who the fuck ever gets away?

Ho lordee, the police chases arent on that link anymore but these chix are..

http://www.gooddatela.com/profiles/profile.php?id=16682

http://www.gooddatela.com/profiles/profile.php?id=17263

Im packing up the u-haul and movin to Beverly Hills!  :drool:
Deuteronomy 13:6-16

FipronilaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 10:15:49 PM »

Haha! Yep - welcome to Socal haha

LKTraz

• Environmentally Incorrect
  • Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • LKTraz probably just rolled in here.
  • Bitter Clinger
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 11:15:30 AM »

California cops and news agencies in particular have a fixation with chases.

Even though chases do occur in all states it seems that the Golden State tends to have the most and surely the most that are covered live by the media.

Care to guess why you don't see this phenomena in Pennsylvania?  It's because our local cops will break off after getting the plate # and then simply put out an APB and observe/track till the vehicle comes to a place where it can be safely stopped/trapped and arrests can be made.

As far as Pa State Police (PSP) is concerned, if the chase appears to be approaching speeds which will hit or exceed 100 mph or will enter heavy traffic/population areas, they will take whatever means necessary to terminate the chase (read that as force the fleeing vehicle off the road) or set up roadblocks at every possible escape route (you might outrun the cruiser but you can't outrun the radio)

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »

As far as Pa State Police (PSP) is concerned, if the chase appears to be approaching speeds which will hit or exceed 100 mph or will enter heavy traffic/population areas, they will take whatever means necessary to terminate the chase

True

:wheelchair:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

LKTraz

• Quaestor
  • Bitter Clinger
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »

California cops and news agencies in particular have a fixation with chases.

Not only high speed, but low speed too..it's a pass time.  :shrug:

"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

LKTraz

• Quaestor
  • Bitter Clinger
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »

Not only high speed, but low speed too..it's a pass time.  :shrug:

Cali is, after all, the land of fruits and nuts.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 40 queries.