ThirdRailForum

• November 18, 2017, 09:50:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The joke of extended warranties...  (Read 2217 times)

plus minus reset

OJ SimpsonTopic starter

• White women only
  • Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • OJ Simpson probably just rolled in here.
The joke of extended warranties...
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »

I was at Best Buy on Saturday looking for a new 3d card, when I overheard what I think was a pep talk in a hallway about people not selling enough extended warranties. I listened to this and the guy talking, who I will assume was a manager, kept reinterating the fact that the warranty was usually 100% profit and that people don't use them ever.

This got me to thinking also about the time I helped a relative get her first car, and the sales manager kept trying to push a extended warranty down her throat to the point where I asked him if something was wrong with the car and it need this coverage, and if it did why was he selling it and maybe we should take our business elsewhere.

I never get these things, I don't see why I should get one for say a 3d card which will get dated in 3 months. Does anyone now who buys something get these things?

If the glove does not fit.............

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
Re: The joke of extended warranties...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »

I've bought as many extended warranties as I've bought that special shoe polisher that I need whenever I buy a new pair of brogues  :uhuh:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 216
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »

Dont touch em with a barge pole, most people upgrade before the guarantee runs out anyway. I haven't even bought insurance for my computer, although i can fix it my self. I got a years gurantee on it, i expect to have it 3 years before upgrading or longer.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:02:18 PM »

There's all kinds of stories on the net from former BB and Circuit City employees of how they are forced to push these things on customers, how much money they make from it, and how they do everything possible to deny covering something when people bring it in for repairs. Just type best buy extended warranties on Google so you can read about all the people who have been shafted by them.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/retail/bestbuy_exwars.html

http://www.jdavidmacor.com/2007/01/23/the-ultimate-best-buy-extended-warranty-nightmare/

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »

The only thing I'd buy a service contract on is something like an oil burner or shit like that. A TV? Fuck no.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:30:07 PM »

The only thing I'd buy a service contract on is something like an oil burner or shit like that. A TV? Fuck no.

You can get service contracts on Transvestities?

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »

You can get service contracts on Transvestities?

Only if they're signed up for surgery, and then only if they're on hormone therapy.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »

Thats TS not TV.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 04:27:14 PM »

You forgot the  :hammer:

Nice wig.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them

OJ SimpsonTopic starter

• White women only
  • Quaestor
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/retail/bestbuy_exwars.html

http://www.jdavidmacor.com/2007/01/23/the-ultimate-best-buy-extended-warranty-nightmare/

LOL!!!

Some of these are a fucking riot. Who would be so dumb to purchase a extended warranty that coinsided with the manufacturers warranty?

OJ SimpsonTopic starter

• White women only
  • Quaestor
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »

Nice wig.

I disagree, its bad. I thought she had cancer at first, so I didn't say anything.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »

I disagree, its bad. I thought she had cancer at first, so I didn't say anything.

That's a real nice avatar picture of NOT YOU.

OJ SimpsonTopic starter

• White women only
  • Quaestor
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »

That's a real nice avatar picture of NOT YOU.

VC has my real pic, plus its been posted at FC, try again or stay on topic.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 11:32:40 PM »

I actually paid the $20 for the extended on my new monitor I got on Saturday - BUT it was because the actual warranty was for 14 days and for $20 I got it for the whole year.

Peter Perfect

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Peter Perfect probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 11:59:01 PM »

For the most part I tend to agree that they are a rip off (the people who sell them don't do so to lose money).   However I know a few people who have bought extended warranties on used cars (which mandate the requirement for lots of expensive scheduled servicing) and a couple have ended up making claims for major mechanical failures which would have otherwise cost them a lot more than the cost of the guarantees (the cost of which was built into the finance they took out).

Even had an extended warranty thrown in on a vacuum cleaner that I bought and had a free repair outside the normal 12 month warranty period.

I am also aware of some of these warranties that are good for fuck all.

Read the fine print.  Understand what you are reading and make a decision based on that.  Sometimes good, sometimes not.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:05 AM »

try again or stay on topic.

Which would be what, my hair or my cancer?

OJ SimpsonTopic starter

• White women only
  • Quaestor
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 01:33:06 AM »

Which would be what, my hair or my cancer?

That would be the joke of extended warranties.

Did you get an extended warranty on your wig?

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 01:44:14 AM »

VC has my real pic, plus its been posted at FC, try again or stay on topic.

i do?? this is news...are you wearing a wig in it??  :vc:

i listen to this clown clark howard on am radio, have for years. cant tell you why or how i happened on him, but he is a really fucking frugal financial guru. he had some fine points about warranties...

Clark says the payback on warranties is worse than on a Vegas slot-machine. In fact, he jokingly advises people to get a quote on a warranty and then go drop that chunk of change in a one-armed bandit. At least then you'll get flashing lights, racket and noise, plus have some fun taking in the atmosphere! But seriously, for every dollar you pay on an electronics warranty, you only get back about eight to15 cents, after you account for depreciation and how quickly technology becomes outdated. Clark thinks you should never buy an extended warranty on computers and electronics. You're a little bit safer with a warranty on your appliances. Finally, keep in mind that credit cards will sometimes double the manufacturer's warranty on electronics. It's like getting an extended warranty for free!

http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2007/08/22/12568/

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 02:30:07 AM »

That credit card tip is a great one. If i buy a warranty, I usually get it straight from the manufacturer of the product or Mack Camera which has one of the best warranty programs that i have seen. Fuck all that Best Buy and CompUSA crap. Also, that tip about negotiating the price is another good one because like the guy said even at $25, they figure it will be $25 profit in their pockets.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 06:29:11 AM »

i do?? this is news...are you wearing a wig in it??  :vc:

It's the one you sent me in PM at FC, remember? When he was trying to deicde which pic to use in his Hot-or-Not profile?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 40 queries.