ThirdRailForum

• August 21, 2017, 03:50:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Populism  (Read 995 times)

plus minus reset

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
Populism
« on: February 15, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »

I'm sick of it.

It's just an excuse for people who use words like 'demographic' and 'marketing strategy' to take over the world.

We are constantly bombarded with so called 'choices' in our 'free society' when in reality most of these choices are made on a least objectional basis, for instance:

There's fuck all on TV so I'll watch the most bearable shit.

or

Out of the two political partys I know parctically nothing about I'll pick the guy with the nice haircut because he looks honest.

Is it just me or is the world becoming shallower and less independant?

Are we seeing the death of creativity in favour of what statistics tell us?

I'm sick to death of turning on the radio and listening to the shallow, empty shit that passes for music these days. I'm sick to death of going to the movies and seeing absolute rubbish that panders to the pavlovian slavering of a room full of mindless slobs.

In fact it has been some time since I bothered with any of the following:

TV
Radio
Newsapers
Movies

I could go on but it would get long and boring...

Fortunately I am resourceful enough to make my own entertainment and the further I get from this zombie culture the more I start to wonder how people can be sucked in by it. But then I remember that I'm looking at the same species that managed to convince itself that a bearded guy in the sky with a box of thunderbolts runs the show.

Watching the shit on TV means they'll keep making more of it. Buying that overpriced cup of skinny latte whatthefuckisthisshitIASKEDFORCOFFE stuff means that another 6 coffee bars will appear on the street.

The funniest thing is that whenever I talk like this to a somebody they all agree with me, quite vehemently, and then go home to watch Big Brother or spen another six hours on MySpace.

Fucking hell.

Vote with you feet, if you stop buying it they'll have to stop making it. People have to realise that WE RUN THIS FUCKING SHOW AND WE'RE GOING TO TAKE IT BACK.

You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

Violator

• Net.G()D...Scourge of the Apple IIE
  • Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Violator probably just rolled in here.
  • Part of the International Oatmeal Conspiracy
Re: Populism
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »

Out of the two political partys
What exactly do the parties you refer to, have as a political agenda?  I only ask because i don't know much about your area.  Are they alot like the Reps and Dems here in the US?

\/ i () | /\ t () r-Elite Commando Procrastinator, trained in Deadly Arts of Coffee Breaks and Assassin Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation. The worlds First and only Inactivist of the Radical Status Quo. Re-animated Hypothetical Carnivore Phalanx of the Undead.

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:06:53 PM »

What exactly do the parties you refer to, have as a political agenda?  I only ask because i don't know much about your area.  Are they alot like the Reps and Dems here in the US?

None in particular, I was just using that analogy in a general way. All democracies seem to default back to bi-partisanship which, to me, defies the spirit of democracy.

-Michael Parenti

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »

Of course we are in the beginning of a zombie culture. Of course I agree but I'm not giving up American Idol and Hell's kitchen.

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 03:10:09 PM »

Of course we are in the beginning of a zombie culture. Of course I agree but I'm not giving up American Idol and Hell's kitchen.

Thanks for illustrating my point.

-Michael Parenti

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Your Mom
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »

No problemo!

AZtucson

• Censor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • AZtucson probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:41:01 PM »

This subject gets me going in a few directions, but let's hit the easiest one first:  music

he last great burst of musical creativity happened in the late 60's/early 70's.  New stuff completely broke the mold of what had been before, and there was real creativity in music and lyrics.  Most of the good stuff is not even heard anymore because stations play the top cuts off albums, and it's usually the most "pop-music" oriented.

When I first heard "grunge" and  Curt LowBrain I was apalled.  The music itself is just a mass off noise, with hardly any individual instrument able to be heard.
And things haven't gotten much better since the dumbass offed himself.  On the rare event I listen to currently produced music it still has that bland, tinny sound.  I haven't heard a good drummer since Ginger Baker and Keith Moon.

It seems as though music is going through another "tacky" phase like the 1950's were.  Maybe that's a sign of good things down the road.

What I see in general society trends is superficiality resulting from the huge volume of information bombarding people, and the speed in which it's coming.
All results of the internet.  Now I'm also grateful for the doors the internet has opened but it's definitely changed society.  The first reaction may be to rue the "old days" but that phenomena has gone on through countless generations.  So things are not getting "worse" - only "different" - although at the present I'm not able to clearly see the advantages/attributes of the new environment.

Politics is definitely worsened by the shallow information glut.  Although this may have been true long ago also, I'm convinced that the average voter doesn't really know shit about the candidate they vote for.  Most Americans are just too fucking lazy to do much reasearch and the 24 hour news environment, although it COULD go into more depth, seems happy to present just a whole lot MORE shallow stories in that 24 hours.

Fuck, I'm sounding like a curmudgeon.

Violator

• Quaestor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:55:25 AM »

I'm convinced that the average voter doesn't really know shit about the candidate they vote for.
To add to this point, I really feel that the average person who doesn't know the candidate(here in the US), doesn't really care that they don't know either.  To me, it's more about how big of a bullshit tax break they can get, and other meaningless crap like that.

\/ i () | /\ t () r-Elite Commando Procrastinator, trained in Deadly Arts of Coffee Breaks and Assassin Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation. The worlds First and only Inactivist of the Radical Status Quo. Re-animated Hypothetical Carnivore Phalanx of the Undead.

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:02:22 AM »

To add to this point, I really feel that the average person who doesn't know the candidate(here in the US), doesn't really care that they don't know either.  To me, it's more about how big of a bullshit tax break they can get, and other meaningless crap like that.

Exactly, we are governed by people who can manipulate our society by providing policies that have appeal but are empty of substance. There is no sense of quality, just likes and dislikes. It's a shallow and dangerous way to run a world.

Quality, where did it go?

-Michael Parenti

Violator

• Quaestor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »

Quality, where did it go?
To be honest?

I have no damn clue really...

I'd have to say in all fairness that in the US it more than likely started late 70's into the 80's.  We started moving more from FAMILY first, to ME first.  I remember growing up, and having block parties, all the neighbors getting together, everyone spending time together, talking, laughing, being a huge family.  All the kids in the neighborhood knew each other, knew all the parents.  It was like the neighborhood was a small country of it's own, and they took care of their own.

I look outside now, and nothing resembles that time to me.  I know none of my neighbors now.  The rate at which they move in and move out is fast.  Kids just running wild all over, cussing, destroying stuff, and the parents are just nowhere to be found.  There is no foundation of people anymore.  No feeling of home anymore.

Why did we as people, not just politicians allow this to happen?

Is this what people wanted?  I want to say no, but I can't, the facts say otherwise...

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:34:40 AM »

There is no foundation of people anymore.  No feeling of home anymore.

Exactly. When people relied on each other to succeed an prosper there were constant peer evaluations of what was acceptable and what wasn't. People have become too self sufficient with the advent of increasing convenience and in doing so have lost their independance and initiative through the lack of a meaningful social support system.

Why did we as people, not just politicians allow this to happen?

Is this what people wanted?  I want to say no, but I can't, the facts say otherwise...

The answer again is convenience. The natural human preference for what seems good over what IS good.

-Michael Parenti

Violator

• Quaestor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 10:45:24 AM »

Good answer JB...

Now, can we as people truly ever get that back?  Or are we so far gone in our current phase that it isn't possible.  I don't wanna sat it's impossible, but IMO the odds of ever having that again are slim to none.

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 10:57:43 AM »

Good answer JB...

Now, can we as people truly ever get that back?  Or are we so far gone in our current phase that it isn't possible.  I don't wanna sat it's impossible, but IMO the odds of ever having that again are slim to none.

I am not sure, It is hard to negate the factors we have to contend with today. Take sensationalism, it's practically the new religion and is aimed at keeping people at each others throats so that there exists in the world a state of perpetual bi-partisanism.

Perhaps the world will never return to a more quality orientated society but it will progress to something beyond what it is now. We need to find a way that limits the relevance of the proponents of hysteria so that our progress is in a positive plane.

The only global tool we have at our disposal, as average citizens, is the internet which is as capable of harm as it is of good.

It's sort of like using populism to mold populism I guess, if that makes any sense,

-Michael Parenti

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »

The thing is, the more we as people know, the more things change. That's why you see things happening the way they are.

I'm not having a block party anymore because you can check out Meghan's law and see who all the sex offenders are. When I lived on a military post, there were some of us who had neighborhood parties all the time, but you knew their Co's and Lt's and 1st sgts.

There are good and bad aspects for every age/time frame the world goes through. You can't avoid it or change it, it just IS.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »

Don't sweat it Jimbob there's a tidal wave of wake up call about to fuck the entire world and make the next few years way more fucking interesting.

There's nothing like fuckers rioting in the street to get Britney Spears off the front page and there won't be a great deal of room for apathy when folk are wondering where their next meal is coming from.

All things are cyclical whether its nature, systems or empires and chaos always gives birth to interesting times....look at that short 15 year period after World War I.

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 39 queries.