ThirdRailForum

• November 23, 2017, 04:26:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Euthanasia - the Right to Die  (Read 2053 times)

plus minus reset

AZtucsonTopic starter

• Censor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • AZtucson probably just rolled in here.
Euthanasia - the Right to Die
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »

Heard something about Jack Kevorkian the other day, the infamous Dr. Death, who performed a bunch opf assisted suicides.  And again it made me wonder why society is so freaked out by the idea.

Myself, having long ago made the Zero Population Growth decision not to have kids, I have few immediate family members left and the extended family is strewn all over the country and don't have any contact, I have no problem with the idea of cashing out by my own choosing under a certain set of circumstances.

A major factor in this outlook is that I've come to terms with the big question of "What comes after this?"  I'm really not worried about it, and think it'll be pretty damn interesting - not soemthing to be afraid of at all.

So if I were to find myself with some incurable disease and a specified time left to live, I sure as hell wouldn't want to go through final months of physical detrioration.  I'd rather check out while still functioning to a decent level.

Medical science is just too fucking in love with their ability to prolong life.   And the religious freaks see pretty damn terrified about when the world will end.  Seems like every nutjob cult is preoccupied with it down to predicting
the day.

I think it should be a legal option under a set or circumstances I described above.  I mean, it's my fucking life!  I sure as hell don't want some dotor keeping me "alive" even though all I can do is drool on myself, and then go bragging to his colleagues how he kept me alive til 95.

Should it be a legal right?

Peter Perfect

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Peter Perfect probably just rolled in here.
Re: Uethanasia - the Right to Die
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »

Yes.  I think it should be legal to kill you :vc:

If you kill yourself, what's the harm (aside from cheating me out of an orgasm) and who's going to prosecute you?

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
Re: Euthanasia - the Right to Die
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »

You know what's really fucked up? When you see a stray dog that is old and suffering or a horse that broke its leg and will eventually die after a period of suffering, the number one accepted option is to euthanize them. Put them out of their misery is the saying.

But when it comes to humans, prolonged suffering and artificial life support is the way to go. I dont see how anyone can reconcile the two. 
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

JimmyBlonde

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »

If I was to come to your house, tie you up and hold a lit candle to the soles of your feet it would be a crime. To cause a helpess person inescapable pain is a pretty dirty thing to do and I don't see the difference between torturing somebody in the manner I have just described and artificially prolonging the suffering of somebody who is terminally ill in the folorn hope of a miraculous recovery.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

Deviouz1

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »

long story so i wont go into it all but at one point i spent several years dealing with the humane euthanasia of animals. i see no reason why humans shouldnt enjoy the same merciful treatment as the animals we love and cherish. forcing someone to suffer horribly for even 1 day based on the minuscule chance that some scientists might discover a cure for cancer tomorrow is in my opinion cruel and, like so many things, usually based on some archaic bullshit theory about a man on a cloud who knows everything.

fuck that.

Quote from: Peter

If you kill yourself, what's the harm (aside from cheating me out of an orgasm) and who's going to prosecute you?

except that many times those who want to die simply cant do it themselves whether its because they cant physically move enough to accomplish it or they are under under "supervision" 24/7.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.  This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

AZtucsonTopic starter

• Censor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • AZtucson probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 07:44:06 PM »

I should have been more clear, although I doubt being Perfectly Clear could make a dent in yer ignorance.

I was referring to Assisted Suicide.

I'm not planning on offing myself any time soon, Petey.  I realize this denies you an opportunity to jack off, but I suspect that every day you find countless reasons to flog yer lil' man pickle.

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 07:52:22 PM »

You know what's really fucked up? When you see a stray dog that is old and suffering or a horse that broke its leg and will eventually die after a period of suffering, the number one accepted option is to euthanize them. Put them out of their misery is the saying.

But when it comes to humans, prolonged suffering and artificial life support is the way to go. I dont see how anyone can reconcile the two.

Obviously you never considered the Hospitals and Doctors point of view.  The more time they can keep you on life support the more they can collect.

Cha-Ching!
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »

Exactly Angelica.

Remember this pretty lady http://www.answers.com/topic/terri-schiavo-medical-patient

Not the same as assisted suicide, but if she had the DNR listed in her medical file/legal docs then there wouldn't have been a problem. I don't see anything wrong with someone being of sound mind having a legal document advising they would like euthanasia if they are in a position of deteriorating due to some illness/injury.

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »

Not the same as assisted suicide, but if she had the DNR listed in her medical file/legal docs then there wouldn't have been a problem. I don't see anything wrong with someone being of sound mind having a legal document advising they would like euthanasia if they are in a position of deteriorating due to some illness/injury.

Hate to burst your bubble, but even with the proper DNR, the Hospital still has the right to resuscitate if the patient is in the OR undergoing surgery, this excludes them from the DNR.  I know because that is what happened to my Father.  After the needless surgery, he was put in "God's Waiting Room" (their words not mine), pumped with drugs, he was fed morphine till he passed.

The DNR and living will is shit unless you are lock step with the emergency personnel, physician on call, physician in charge of the ER on that day/night, the OR surgeon and every fucking personnel on board..it don't mean shit!
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Your Mom
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »

Holy shit that's complete ass!

Peter Perfect

• Governor
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »

I should have been more clear, although I doubt being Perfectly Clear could make a dent in yer ignorance.

I was referring to Assisted Suicide.

Let me say it again so you can understand just how deeply you wedged your foot into your gaping maw  :rotf:

Yes.  I think it should be legal to kill you

I'm not planning on offing myself any time soon, Petey.  I realize this denies you an opportunity to jack off, but I suspect that every day you find countless reasons to flog yer lil' man pickle.

Lol   I'm busting a nut each time you pawn yourself  :wank:

Werhner Von Braun

• Lictor
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Werhner Von Braun probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 12:18:38 AM »

Bill Hicks had the right idea - use the old and infirm as stunt doubles in Chuck Norris films.
funf... vier... drei... zwei... ein... Donner-vogel sind GEHEN!

Deviouz1

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:50:12 AM »

Bill Hicks had the right idea - use the old and infirm as stunt doubles in Chuck Norris films.

hah

you get +1 internets for the Bill Hicks reference.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.  This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »

This was a real sickener in Europe just recently.....  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article5687405.ece

Cunt of a thing for her old man, having to fight for the death of his own daughter for 17 fucking years, going up against a fascist fuck Pope, the entire Italian government and all the while under a deluge of hate mail and death threats, lovely.

She died the day after the article was written.

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 01:34:21 AM »

:cry: SO sad. 17 years is too long.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »

Now the old man is being investigated for murder.....  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7915310.stm

There's only one more thing to do now and thats to dig her body up and feed it piece by piece to ravenous pigs...in front of him....live on Italian TV.....

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 11:42:19 PM »

The court ruling was opposed by the government and the Vatican, which said it amounted to euthanasia.

Shortly before she died, the senate rushed to discuss emergency legislation that would have banned the removal of feeding tubes.

Politicians have said they will work to clarify Italy's right-to-die laws.

Euthanasia is illegal but patients have the right to refuse care.

How is that the same as euthanasia? I thought the truly religious would believe that the woman was meant to die when her body could no longer function normally. Does anyone else think that it's not always a good thing to force someone's body to keep going? Kind of creepy.

Peter Perfect

• Governor
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 11:44:30 PM »

How is that the same as euthanasia? I thought the truly religious would believe that the woman was meant to die when her body could no longer function normally. Does anyone else think that it's not always a good thing to force someone's body to keep going? Kind of creepy.

Yeah.   Jehova Witnesses

Angelica

• Imperator
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »

So if I were to find myself with some incurable disease and a specified time left to live, I sure as hell wouldn't want to go through final months of physical detrioration.  I'd rather check out while still functioning to a decent level.

I mean, it's my fucking life!  I sure as hell don't want some dotor keeping me "alive" even though all I can do is drool on myself, and then go bragging to his colleagues how he kept me alive til 95.

Should it be a legal right?

I am in total agreement with AZ, it should be left to the individual whether they want to end their life or not. 

I wrote a letter to my family with a directive that states; whoever is left of my immediate family should not feel beholden to keep me susitated if the prognosis for recovery is not there.  And if I am cognizant, I requested they should give me enough pills to let me go in peace.

I also left a CD of all my favorite songs to be played at my wake, and sufficient money to host a party afterward!  I leave no loose ends! :rotf:

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »

LOL Angela - You come off as too young to have a cd ready for your funeral yet. Of course the Italian girl was in her early 20's so you never know.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 41 queries.