ThirdRailForum

• August 21, 2017, 04:04:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: You've got to be kidding right...?  (Read 1741 times)

plus minus reset

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary

You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

Peter Perfect

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Peter Perfect probably just rolled in here.
Re: You've got to be kidding right...?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:06:33 AM »

LKTraz

• Environmentally Incorrect
  • Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • LKTraz probably just rolled in here.
  • Bitter Clinger
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »

Holy shit!  Or not.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »

I really hope that didnt actually happen.

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »

There are a few accounts floating around about these office chair explosions. Apparently when the cylinders go on them they can be quite destructive. I have heard one source relate that he saw shrapnel from one smash tiles from a tile wall...

I guess it is possibe, a combination of compression and metal fatigue can have violent results.

-Michael Parenti

53V3N

• Aedile
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • 53V3N probably just rolled in here.
  • Yeah, I know...
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »

The chair in those photos was obviously doctored (poorly I might add). There is no way that there is enough pressure in one of those chairs to shatter the cylindrical housing. At most, the cylinders might separate but seeing as one usually needs to rise up a bit off a chair like that in order for it to rise, separation of the cylinders would not likely occur while someone is seated.

You can trust that everything I say is factual because I'm on the internet.

Seriously though, think about it.

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:32:18 PM »

Well, the absence of any blood is suspicious. Unless somebody steamcleaned the chair before taking the pic.

I don't know how these chairs work or if they all work the same way but an explosion is still a possibility.

Especially if one is tampered with.

-Michael Parenti

53V3N

• Aedile
  • Yeah, I know...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 09:03:06 PM »

In figure A, we see two things:

1 (designated by the red arrows): The "explosion" is centered around the area where the pneumatic cylinder/base of the chair is centered.

*The importance of this will become clear in Figure B*

2 (designated by the green arrows): Distinct tear patterns. Because of the natural bias inherent in any fabric, when torn, a diamond shape (such as the one shown) easily occurs.

Had the fabric been ripped up from shrapnel, we would see a random pattern of holes in various sizes.

In Figure B we see two things as well:

1 (designated by the red arrow): The hole that the arrow is pointing to is the location where the base of the chair attaches. In order for the damage on the chair seat to be centered where it is, the "explosion" would need to originate through this hole. Which could be possible except...

2 (designated by the green arrows): Again we see distinct tear patterns where we should be seeing shrapnel patterns. Also, if the explosion went up through the chair as Fig A suggests, why are we seeing damage to this extent on the bottom of the chair AND FINALLY, with the kind of damage done to the bottom of the chair, we should see damage on the metal plate which houses the chair's base/chair's back.

Yes, I'm that bored. :P

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:17:12 PM »

Yes, the pictures seem to reflect a build up of gas inside the seat of the chair rather than a sudden structural failure of an overpressured gas cylinder.

Nice work 53V3N.

Looks like somebody hooked this chair up to an air compressor or something.

-Michael Parenti

53V3N

• Aedile
  • Yeah, I know...
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »

Looks like somebody hooked this chair up to an air compressor or something.

I doubt they even went to that extent. To me, the damage looks fabricated with little more than a box cutter and bare hands.

*shrugs*

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 09:38:06 PM »

Still, it was a funny story.

-Michael Parenti

53V3N

• Aedile
  • Yeah, I know...
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »

Oh hell yeah! I wasn't attempting to remove the funny. :shiftyeyes:

Peter Perfect

• Governor
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »

I doubt they even went to that extent. To me, the damage looks fabricated with little more than a box cutter and bare hands.

*shrugs*

are you sure?   http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg305/flyingcrocodile46/prolapse_small.jpg

53V3N

• Aedile
  • Yeah, I know...
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:10:58 PM »

are you sure?

I think you just became my favorite poster here... or least favorite. I can't decide.

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 11:16:08 PM »

are you sure?   http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg305/flyingcrocodile46/prolapse_small.jpg

On seeing the word 'prolapse' in that URL I'm going to let it's actual contents remain a mystery thankyou very much.

-Michael Parenti

Peter Perfect

• Governor
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 11:47:55 PM »

On seeing the word 'prolapse' in that URL I'm going to let it's actual contents remain a mystery thankyou very much.

Heh!... It's only a little one... go on... have a peek :vc:

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »

Oh my christ my fucking eyes.

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:17 AM »

Heh!... It's only a little one... go on... have a peek :vc:

Ok then....

Gee, did you see the socks that guy was wearing?

-Michael Parenti

Peter Perfect

• Governor
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »

Ok then....

Gee, did you see the socks that guy was wearing?

I bought them the week before.  Cool eh?

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 01:08:50 AM »

I bought them the week before.  Cool eh?

Yeah, nice. You really outght to re-think those post-football vindaloo nights though by the looks of things.

:goatse:

-Michael Parenti
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 37 queries.