ThirdRailForum

• November 23, 2017, 04:29:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The modern military  (Read 1035 times)

plus minus reset

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
The modern military
« on: February 24, 2009, 04:27:40 AM »

I came across this quote on another site I lurk at:
Once, the military meant something. Now, it's just a welfare check.

Basically one guy was going on about the military developing character and another guy pointed out how there are plenty of jobs that don't involve dying for a bunch of corrupt bankers that also develop character.

It made me think, has the 'grunt' level of the West's armed forces become an alternate welfare system?

The level of expertise and training in some branches of the service does seem amateurish and aimed at reducing costs rather than creating an effective fighting force.

You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

Peter Perfect

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Peter Perfect probably just rolled in here.
Re: The modern military
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »

The level of expertise and training in some branches of the service does seem amateurish and aimed at reducing costs rather than creating an effective fighting force.

Amateurish maybe... but I don't know that Iraq is a cost cutter.     Bring on the holodeck I say.

JimmyBlondeTopic starter

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:42:38 AM »

but I don't know that Iraq is a cost cutter.     

???

I was referring to the standards of training doctrine, not Iraq. Iraq is obviously a financial drain on any country with troops deployed there. Cutting corners on training programs would be one way of compensating.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

Johnny Storm

• Model Citizen, Zero Discipline!
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 292
  • Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: TRF Flame ChampWin vs feral, Breakfall100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is so gay..100+ Reply Thread - My thoughts on Jorge Zimmerman2008 Fantasy Football Champ
  • WOOO WOOO!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:29:32 AM »

We spend more on the military than the rest of the world combined.  It's safe to say that some politician will latch on to that for pork....so yeah, it's got aspects of welfare.  Ike warned against that shit.

You hate us because you ain't us, son!

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »

When I was a military spouce, I knew a lot of people that joined just to have a secured income, medical, and housing for their families. Not sure that's what you meant, but it definitely is used in that way for a lot of soldiers. Not as many as you'd like to think are there for the love of their country or wanting to defend the citizens. There definitely are some soldiers that are there because they love it, but I met more that weren't than were.

Dr. WINO

• Lictor
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Dr. WINO probably just rolled in here.
  • Sleeping Under Your stairs...
    • digital-strife
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:40:12 AM »

The military has certainly changed since the Cold-War, but of course the tactical picture  has changed...standards go down during times of war. I served on a fast-attack submarine...manned, in my book, by the best crew in the Navy. We really took pride in our mission, which was crystal clear; beat the Russians, be better warriors than the adversary...and be prepared for offensive war. Possibly nuclear. And we took exceptional pride in our dolphins. Our pay sucked ass...the housing was like sharecropper shacks, but there was an air of motivation.

I am wary of the Iraq pullout plan, i predict kaos which will engulf the Middle East...if Israel attacks Iran, as all probabilty dictates according to their policy...is THAT why we are pulling the troops out? Sometimes i wonder if we are on the edge of another world war. Rely on Pakistan as a regional determent...hahahahahaaaa. Pakistan has been giving to us up our ass since the beginning. I wouldn't put it past them to have Bin-Laden under I.S.I protection in the Presidential basement. Made a shitload of money...and a buttload of hardware in the process.

We will wind up back in for the third time...

Bastards...

Besides...they have been owned by India twice.

I guess i got on a tangent...sorry.

But as i stated...standards do go down during wartime. And the Military is offering decent incentives...especially for second tours. With our economy...there is going to be no shortage, and i always believed the Military is a great option. It can be quite the adventure, hopefully you come home intact.

I believe "generation kill" will get quite a workout in the long-run...but our troops in Iraq had a terrific kill ratio...hope they keep that streak up. Maybe those single-shooter games have paid off. Sometimes i wonder that as our economy falters...will we turn to long-term war as the real stimulus?

Dr. WINO

• Lictor
    • digital-strife
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 01:04:12 AM »

[quote author=Dr. WINO link=topic=Sorry...i almost, well did post twice. sorry.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:09:38 AM »

...but our troops in Iraq had a terrific kill ratio...hope they keep that streak up.

And you've got to take your hat off to the cunts for their professionalism and a fucking hard core restraint in taking losses, there was the one massacre when those 12/15 family members got done which was a fucking disgrace but I task you to find any army anywhere that hasn't gone "South American death squad" on the local populace....respect to 'em  :snack:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 01:11:55 AM »

....oh....and barring Fallujah, the truth will out about that place one day and it won't be pretty, but that place was wild fucking west.

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

Dr. WINO

• Lictor
    • digital-strife
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 01:20:20 AM »

Collateral casualties are a sad part of war...Like i stated earlier...we were prepared to kill em by the bushel. But you are correct about the "wild-west" aspect that city. Boy...we had to destroy it to control it. One thing about America, we may not be the best at country rebuilding...but we can sure as hell take em apart.

Dr. WINO

• Lictor
    • digital-strife
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 01:44:05 AM »

Collateral casualties are a sad part of war...We are more surgical in our technique, but war is not always played by the rules. Like i stated earlier...we were prepared to kill em by the bushel. But you are correct about the "wild-west" aspect that city. Boy...we had to destroy it to control it. One thing about America, we may not be the best at country rebuilding...but we can sure as hell take em apart.

V-Agent

• Agitator
  • Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.V-Agent is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Awards: 200 Reply Thread - Where the Wild Things Roam200 Reply Thread - Flametown, and why it's raining Homos100 Reply Thread - Flametown, and why it's raining Homos100 Reply Thread - Where the Wild Things Roam
  • Those little grey cells
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »

I served on a fast-attack submarine

+1

Johnny Storm

• Model Citizen, Zero Discipline!
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 292
  • Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: TRF Flame ChampWin vs feral, Breakfall100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is so gay..100+ Reply Thread - My thoughts on Jorge Zimmerman2008 Fantasy Football Champ
  • WOOO WOOO!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »

Fast-attack sub, heh....is that what they call farm animal cock in Arkansas these days?

You hate us because you ain't us, son!

AZtucson

• Censor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • AZtucson probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »

I think today's military requires a lot more intellegence in its soldiers than, say WWII.  Back then they needed pretty much just warm bodies that they could send in waves to attack beaches, etc.

I'm no expert, but today's weaponry necessitates a high level orf recruit.

I am wary of the Iraq pullout plan, i predict kaos which will engulf the Middle East...if Israel attacks Iran, as all probabilty dictates according to their policy...is THAT why we are pulling the troops out? Sometimes i wonder if we are on the edge of another world war. Rely on Pakistan as a regional determent...hahahahahaaaa. Pakistan has been giving to us up our ass since the beginning. I wouldn't put it past them to have Bin-Laden under I.S.I protection in the Presidential basement. Made a shitload of money...and a buttload of hardware in the process.

You're most likely right about the chaos part.  Which will prove what a monumental waste of people and money this whole fiasco was.  We ignored the lessons of Viet Nam and of the Russians in Afghanistan.  So what's the alternative?  Maintain a permanent force there?

The U.S. is learning that we can't force democracy on people except in the way we did in the good old days.  Set up a "democratic" dictator like Batista.

Peter Perfect

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Peter Perfect probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »

I believe "generation kill" will get quite a workout in the long-run...but our troops in Iraq had a terrific kill ratio...hope they keep that streak up. Maybe those single-shooter games have paid off. Sometimes i wonder that as our economy falters...will we turn to long-term war as the real stimulus?

You immoral cunts have done nothing but interfere in sand nigga politics since WW2.   A constant game of inciting disharmony and starting wars, profiting by supplying both sides with weapons.  You even manipulate your own retarded population by paying bin laden to attack you (with an all Saudi terrorism team trained by the CIA) falsifying evidence of the attacks, flying all the Saudi royal family out of the usa the next day under everyone's noses, hiding the fact that bush has been in bed with them for decades and blaming the Iraqis and Taliban for the attack so you can invade them and perpetuate the game.   And your dumbfuck righteous predominantly hypocritical religious population suck it all up like the retards they are.    I mean.. fer fucks sake.. look at the evidence of how stupid you cunts are... you have the highest per capita percentage of brain dead christians in the world. (remembering that all religious twats are brain dead)

Nothing personal, but I will not feel any sorrow when they fuck usa up some more and tens of thousands of you are made to suffer.  I hope you all live in fear for every waking second of your putrid existence, as retribution for having been so morally bankrupt that you voted for then stood by and watched as your criminal leaders have carried out their abhorrent crimes against humanity.

Fuck it's gonna be funny watching to see whether it will be the jews or saudis that end up owning all your financial institutions and what little there is left of your industry... you will be slaves to sand niggas :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 11:15:40 PM »

This reminds me of a little song....

double helix

• down and out
  • Aedile
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • double helix probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 12:39:36 AM »

When I was a military spouce, I knew a lot of people that joined just to have a secured income, medical, and housing for their families. Not sure that's what you meant, but it definitely is used in that way for a lot of soldiers. Not as many as you'd like to think are there for the love of their country or wanting to defend the citizens. There definitely are some soldiers that are there because they love it, but I met more that weren't than were.
And, there you go! Lots of people joined up in peace time just to get the free bennies, education money and an easy paycheck. Since the Iraq war reasons have changed for a percentage of enlistees but, watch as the economy continues to bottom out, how the enlistees will be young men with starter families and twenty somethings that haven't been able to get a decent job.
Will we need as much of a military in the future? Will auto technology eliminate the need for many of the ground forces?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 42 queries.