ThirdRailForum

• July 26, 2017, 02:47:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NFL Free Agency  (Read 3605 times)

plus minus reset

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 363
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
NFL Free Agency
« on: February 25, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »

Just read that the Bucs cleaned house and ditched something like 4-5 vets including Derek Brooks and Warrick Dunn. Stunning! It seems to me like they are going to make a run at Haynesworth but i have to seriously question that move.  First, they got rid of Gruden and now this. Say hello to 4-12.

Deuteronomy 13:6-16

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.
  • Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football ChampWin vs Caskur
Re: NFL Free Agency
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:22:52 PM »

imo they were due to rebuild. They weren't a bad team, but realistically they had no shot at winning the super bowl with the team they fielded last season. The only logical thing to do when your team is in limbo like that is either sign some big money free agents to put them over the top or rebuild. They chose to rebuild. Can't really fault them for it.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »

I dont know about that. Especially if they did it to go after one player - Haynesworth. Derek Brooks was a franchise player who can still play at a pro bowl level. That would be like the Ravens cutting Ray Lewis. They both may have lost a step but they can still bring it.

I cant believe all the big names who are out there this year. Lavenous Coles also got turned loose by the stinkin' Jets. It's going to be interesting to see where these players end up. A team the sucked last year can make a big turn around if they sign a few of the big names that are available.

It's much harder for a team which was already good to get rid of 4-5 starters and "rebuild". Chances are they will be taking a few steps down rather than a step up. How many years have your Chiefs been rebuilding now?

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
  • OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.OMFG It's TOE! yearns for more subjective praise.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »

2 years and I expect one more year of misery and then a steady climb back into contention after that. 3 years of being shit and drafting high, coupled with the amount of money you can spend on free agents at the end of that 3 years thanks to having a young team that doesn't get paid much is a fairly reasonable way to rebuild.

If the Bucs did cut 4 players to try and get 1 player to put them over the top then they aren't rebuilding. They just seem to unrealistically think that they're a player like Haynesworth away from competing for a Super Bowl. That's delusional imo.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Augustus
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:08:44 PM »

Yeah, we'll find out soon enough if they are going to make a run at Haynesworth. To me, the only thing to make sense of their move today was to clear cap room to battle with the Redskins in an effort to sign him. And that's not to say that makes much more sense too, it's just that at least they had a reason for doing what they did.

Otherwise they could have drafted some players first or at least signed some younger free agents before cleaning house of respected vets like that. I saw a clip of their coach having a press conference today on espn trying to explain the move and he sure didnt come across to me as someone with a plan. I just cant believe they would shitcan Gruden for someone like that. Looks like London is going to get another dog of a team for the game this year.

On top of all the players already released we might soon see Ray Lewis and LT available. Not to mention Larry Johnson and Q Boldin.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:30:33 AM »

You never know how it could go- another thing I love about NFL Football. I tell you what IU thought Coughlin was a tard signing Eli thining he would be the next great thing being Peyton's brother, but once he got his confidence we saw him shine. (Then saw him REALLY pissed a LOT last season! was kinda cute even if it pissed me off) Point is - you may not be seeing what the coach is seeing and what his reasons are. If they are your team, all you can do is hope he knows wtf he's doing. Of course I'm the biggest fan of an underdog team so you may not want to listen to my theories!

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Augustus
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »

Dang, the Skins don't waste any time in locking up Haynesworth (for $100 million) and the Bucs move to acquire Kellen Winslow. Great moves by both. Looks like Ray Lewis is running out of options aside from the Cowboys.

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »

Bucs resigned Antonio Bryant too. With him and Winslow, how good would the Bucs be with Matt Cassel throwing the ball? It could happen because I heard they're done with Garcia.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Augustus
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »

It's funny you mention Cassel because I just read that Scott Pioli and your Chiefs are striking a trade with the Pats for Mike Vrabel.

The first thing that entered my mind was how much sense would it make for Pioli to go after Matt Cassel considering how much the Chiefs need a QB? I'm not sold on Matt Sanchez with the third or fourth pick that they have. Too much of a risk when you can get a proven player at the same position for about the same price.

It's also funny how new coaches and GM's always look to surround themselves with people they worked with in the past, even to the point of overspending and placing too much value in them. I look for the Jets to try and raid the Ravens of a few players and the Chiefs to do the same with the Pats.

thekid65

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »

Holy shit..100 mil from da'skins to Haynesworth..including a 41 mil signing bonus? Thats some serious cash right there.

Edit: And why da'fuck do the Patriots want ole Glass Knees Taylor? Jone's Drew fantasy stock just went up quite a bit.

Borndragon

• Aedile
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Borndragon probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 12:53:05 PM »

Just read that the Bucs cleaned house and ditched something like 4-5 vets including Derek Brooks and Warrick Dunn. Stunning!

Derek Brooks had 73 tackles in 2008 whereas Ray Lewis had 117.
Lewis, who is two years younger than Brooks, is still playin' at the franchise level and Brooks who is showing his age will get a 2 year mid-money deal with someone to end his career and the Buc's really don't own it to him to hang onto an aging player.

Warrick Dunn, with 786 yards and 2 TD's in 2008, at age 34, is not a featured back and the Buc's recognized that after it took Dunn the first 6 games to have a 100 yard game.

The moves to release these players to make room for new talent may have been the best for the Buc's.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 01:46:10 PM »

100m and only working for 7 years. If I ever wished I was a man before this is why!

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 06:53:54 PM »

100m and only working for 7 years. If I ever wished I was a man before this is why!

Tell that to Oprah. if someone told her she was only going to make 100 million over the next 7 years she'd probably throw herself out of a window and slash her own throat on the way down.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Augustus
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 07:43:52 PM »

Derek Brooks had 73 tackles in 2008 whereas Ray Lewis had 117.
Lewis, who is two years younger than Brooks, is still playin' at the franchise level and Brooks who is showing his age will get a 2 year mid-money deal with someone to end his career and the Buc's really don't own it to him to hang onto an aging player.

Warrick Dunn, with 786 yards and 2 TD's in 2008, at age 34, is not a featured back and the Buc's recognized that after it took Dunn the first 6 games to have a 100 yard game.

The moves to release these players to make room for new talent may have been the best for the Buc's.

Yeah, I think Ray Lewis is still one of the top LBs in the game and even though he and Brooks may have lost a step, good luck finding someone better than either to replace them. The problem I have with Tampa is that they have no one at this stage.

They got rid of their franchise player with no warning along with 4 other potential starters who are also team leaders. They had more cap room than any other team before the moves so it wasnt about money.

As a result, they broke up their team chemistry and purged themselves of several playmakers and team leaders. What are the chances they find enough "young players" to plug all those holes and improve on the team they had last year which was playoff bound until their DC decided to retire?

They would have been better served by signing some new people and getting them into training camp first before going with the youth movement. That way if it didnt work out, at least they still had quality starters. Now, they have nothing.

On top of that, Haynesworth said in his press conference yesterday that he was considering Tampa and Washington but after weighing what Tampa just did to the vets and his age, he decided to sign with the Skins.

Hey, how bout what Scott Pioli and the Chiefs did in landing Cassel today, huh? What a surprise!

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Augustus
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »

He'll never see the 100 million because in year 5, he's owed something like 30 million which no team would pay in this day in age so he would get cut. Still, he should make about 50 million in 4 years. Not bad for someone from Tennessee.

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 10:14:51 AM »

How bout them Chiefs? Looks like they just sped up their rebuilding process significantly with the acquisition of Matt Cassel. Now they can grab a linebacker or O-linemen with their #3 overall pick. This was a great move imo, and great news for the league as it obviously means that Tom Brady will be ready for the start of the season.

I was expecting another 3 win season from the Chiefs, now I'm thinking 6-7 is more likely, especially if they keep Gonzalez and L. Johnson which by the sounds of it they will be doing unless someone blows them away with a trade offer.

thekid65

• Imperator
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »

Who's Cassel gonna throw to..they have one credible WR in Bowe, but thats about it. Who's gonna run the ball...and most importantly, who's gonna block for the QB and RB? You're right about an O-lineman...but they need a helluvalot more than Cassel to turn that train wreck around.

Edit: I think 6-7 wins is an overestimate..I'd be surprised to see them win 4-5.

Edit #2: Johnson was done 2 years ago.

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 10:27:20 AM »

Of course they do, but they're still instantly better now that they have Cassel then they were last season. I never claimed that they were done rebuilding, just that the process has been sped up and that they'll get 6-7 wins in the second weakest division in football.

Bowe and Gonzalez are better options to throw to than a lot of teams have. If they can grab a WR in free agency their offense will be fine, and LJ can still run the ball, the Chiefs just had no O-line for the last 2 years because they lost 2 of the best O-linemen in the league at the same time. How do you lose Will Shields and Willie Rolf in the same off-season and not have it affect your running game?

thekid65

• Imperator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 10:29:55 AM »

I think you're giving Cassel way too much credit. He was inserted in to (arguably) the best system in the NFL..with plenty of great coaching, and great players. No way in hell he has a repeat performance, IMO.

OMFG It's TOE!

• Governor
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »

Who said anything about a repeat performance? All I said is that Cassel is an upgrade for the Chiefs, and I don't think you'll find anyone who would dispute that.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 37 queries.