ThirdRailForum

• December 14, 2017, 09:47:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Olympics...... Are you ready?  (Read 1937 times)

plus minus reset

The ScoundrelTopic starter

• Lover, Hero, Good Guy
  • Emperor
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Liverpool FC, Healthy food, Free Healthcare
  • Awards: 100 Reply Thread - The reg rep fuck up100 Reply Thread - As Usual. Rumours are rumours200 Reply Thread - Flamersaurus Rex100 Reply Thread - Flamersaurus Rex300 Reply Thread - Its 2014 guys200 Reply Thread - Its 2014 guys100 Reply Thread - Its 2014 guysWin - 4 x 4 Challenge match100 Reply Thread - Vicky dearest100 Reply Thread - Callout. Caskur and Serafina100+ Reply Thread - Put up Yer Dukes100+ Reply Thread - If your childs name was on ..
  • Breaking the hearts of spammers since 2000
2012 Olympics...... Are you ready?
« on: March 18, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »

I'm sat here watching a programme about the land being used for the Olympic Village in 2012. Jeez this ground is fucked! It's taking them a year to remove all the chemical and industrial waste from the area before they can hand it over to the builders  :confused:

www.london.gov.uk/mayor/olympics/benefits-environment.jsp

This story doesn't go into it very much but i can smell a fuck-up waiting to happen. The Olympics over the past 20 years or so have made a good profit and improved the areas in which they're held for the general populace to use afterwards, but just watch England send the games back to the old days of bankrupting the city and putting on a show more akin to a televised Punch and Judy fest than the biggest sporting event in the world.

Am i a pessimist? No, I'm just right.  :objection:

Our country will, I believe, sooner forgive an officer for attacking an enemy than for letting it alone

That, of course, depends on who you ask around here.

"Oh where will the homeless go when the bridges no longer have room for humanity?"

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
Re: 2012 Olympics...... Are you ready?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 05:35:06 PM »

The Olympics over the past 20 years or so have made a good profit and improved the areas in which they're held for the general populace to use afterwards, but just watch England send the games back to the old days of bankrupting the city and putting on a show more akin to a televised Punch and Judy fest than the biggest sporting event in the world.

Am i a pessimist? No, I'm just right.  :objection:

You were wise to limit your statement to the past 20 years and im not even sure about that. Montreal, Los Angeles and Moscow got raped. I think it took regal mountain Montreal something like 10 years to pay off the debt from hosting the 76 games.

Engerland better hope that some shit doesnt happen from now til 2012 to cause a boycott. I think its chances greatly improved after Blair and Bush added "former" to their respective former head of state titles. But you never know.

Someone like Jimmy Carter might vie for PM of Britain, Russia is making noise again and there is already a huge concern about terrorist attacks being planned for the games. Something like that can cause the Olympic gamble to turn into a nightmare.

I share in your pragmatism.
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

thekid65

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 05:37:56 PM »

Ya gotta feel for Vancouver in 2010...sounds like, mostly due to the floundering economy, theyre already fucked, and having to cut events.

JimmyBlonde

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »

The Olyimpics are retarded. I can see how they would have been fun for the ancient Greeks but do we really need a multi billion dollar three week contest to see who can swim/run the fastest?
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »

The Olyimpics are retarded. I can see how they would have been fun for the ancient Greeks but do we really need a multi billion dollar three week contest to see who can swim/run the fastest?

Happy chap ain't ya  :wheelchair:

The Olympics will be a right royal fuck up, they couldn't even build a glorified tent without making a balls of it.  Its already massively over budget and by the time its finished it will most likely equal California's budget deficit.  The only way that this disaster can be avoided is to scale the whole shebang down to an international tiddly winks match down the Blind Beggar on Mile End Road  :wheelchair:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

Deviouz1

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »

The Olympics will be a right royal fuck up, they couldn't even build a glorified tent without making a balls of it.  Its already massively over budget and by the time its finished it will most likely equal California's budget deficit.  The only way that this disaster can be avoided is to scale the whole shebang down to an international tiddly winks match down the Blind Beggar on Mile End Road  :wheelchair:

ive gotta go with jimmy on this one, the olympics at one point in time actually meant something. nowadays its really nothing more than a glorified publicity stunt.

on a side note, i only regret a few things in my life. but one of them is that i wasnt born wrapped in the Union Jack. i dont suppose theres any chance an american mid level pc tech could defect to britain is there? fuck me every time i see you fuckers post i cant help but see one of the faces from lock stock and two smoking barrels.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.  This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:47:46 AM »

I used to love watching the Olympics when they were for amateurs, people who loved to compete in the sport they loved.  Then the Olympic Committee started to allow professional athletes into the venue, due to complaints from the US.  It seemed the Communist countries were able to train all year round and dedicate their athletes to the sport, and other countries didn't have the resource...yet the only country that actually got anything out of this was the US (who could afford the same)..go figure...and that changed the scope of things (to me anyway).  But it seems, since the collapse of these same communist countries, we still see these same highly paid professionals competing, and winning.  WTF, where is the competition there? 

Maybe we should go back to pure amateur athletics.  I think we would see a resurgence of interest in the Olympics.
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

JimmyBlonde

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 09:51:12 AM »

I didn't mean the 'special' olympics mate. It's amazing what the so called 'disabled' can achieve.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »

I used to love watching the Olympics when they were for amateurs, people who loved to compete in the sport they loved. Then the Olympic Committee started to allow professional athletes into the venue, due to complaints from the US. It seemed the Communist countries were able to train all year round and dedicate their athletes to the sport, and other countries didn't have the resource...yet the only country that actually got anything out of this was the US (who could afford the same)..go figure...and that changed the scope of things (to me anyway). But it seems, since the collapse of these same communist countries, we still see these same highly paid professionals competing, and winning. WTF, where is the competition there?

Maybe we should go back to pure amateur athletics.  I think we would see a resurgence of interest in the Olympics.

That's a nice thought but the reality was that many of the Soviets really were career amateurs playing at a professional level with no professional leagues to play in. That's on top of all the doping. I still remember the jokes and spoofs about the East German Women's weightlifting team. They probably all have thicker beards than Chuck Norris now.

The really sad part was that USA would keep sending teams of college kids to get their asses kicked in sports like basketball and hockey. It's like no one gave a shit. I'm a believer that in sports, there is no higher honor than representing your country in an international competition and that a country should at least try to send their best athletes to a comp and not just a college all star second team to represent it. Pro athletes should have been jumping at the opportunity to represent their country in the sport that they do the best.

When it comes down to it, is shouldnt matter whether an athlete plays for money or not due mainly to the country they live in or form of government they represent. It's all about sending the best to compete against the best from other countries.

I think the worst plague in sports right now is all the attempts at cheating going on. Whether it's the Chinese team lying about the ages of gymnasts or people taking HGH and steroids. There seems to be no end to people who will take short cuts and try to cheat to win a medal.

• Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »

I still remember the jokes and spoofs about the East German Women's weightlifting team. They probably all have thicker beards than Chuck Norris now.

One of the cunts was on TV the other day, shot putter, some shit about the wall, she is now a bloke called Jurgen because the roids tipped her over to full on geezer, should have seen the 2 & 8 of it  :rotf:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened

• Lover, Hero, Good Guy
  • Emperor
  • The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Reply Thread - The reg rep fuck up100 Reply Thread - As Usual. Rumours are rumours200 Reply Thread - Flamersaurus Rex100 Reply Thread - Flamersaurus Rex300 Reply Thread - Its 2014 guys200 Reply Thread - Its 2014 guys100 Reply Thread - Its 2014 guysWin - 4 x 4 Challenge match100 Reply Thread - Vicky dearest100 Reply Thread - Callout. Caskur and Serafina100+ Reply Thread - Put up Yer Dukes100+ Reply Thread - If your childs name was on ..
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 09:14:37 AM »

I think the worst plague in sports right now is all the attempts at cheating going on.  people taking HGH and steroids. There seems to be no end to people who will take short cuts and try to cheat to win a medal.

Here's a question for ya, Is taking drugs to improve sporting ability necessarily cheating? After all we're looking for people to perform at their best and all athletes have access to the same drugs so why not let them get on with it?

Some sports, eg cycling are already past the point of no return in that the only way to compete at the top levels of the tour etc is to take epo or something like. I for one do not believe that there is a clean cyclist left at the top of the pile cos the human body isn't designed to go through what they put it through without help of some sort so you either ban professional cycling altogether or be more realistic and accept that drugs are an integral part of the game nowadays.
Our country will, I believe, sooner forgive an officer for attacking an enemy than for letting it alone

"Oh where will the homeless go when the bridges no longer have room for humanity?"

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:06:35 AM »

at least Leyton Orient might get a decent stadium out of it  :wheelchair:

• Lover, Hero, Good Guy
  • Emperor
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »

And the celebrations will be endless.  :rotf: :rotf:

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »

Here's a question for ya, Is taking drugs to improve sporting ability necessarily cheating? After all we're looking for people to perform at their best and all athletes have access to the same drugs so why not let them get on with it?

Some sports, eg cycling are already past the point of no return in that the only way to compete at the top levels of the tour etc is to take epo or something like. I for one do not believe that there is a clean cyclist left at the top of the pile cos the human body isn't designed to go through what they put it through without help of some sort so you either ban professional cycling altogether or be more realistic and accept that drugs are an integral part of the game nowadays.

Fair point but the fact remains that we've all agreed not to take certain substances which are harmful to the body in order to enhance athletic performance thus people who do so are cheaters. If we start allowing that, there's no end to the lengths that people and some governments would go to, especially during a Soviet cold war or Hitler era where governments use the Olympics to make political statements about the superiority of their system and to brainwash their own people about master races.

I remember a sketch i think was on SNL that was called the steroid Olympics where the weightlifter attempted to pick up an ungodly amount of weight and as he was leaning over to pick it up, both his arms just ripped out from his torso and blood started spewing out while he stood there looking disappointed.  :rotf:

What cycling has become has to be the most pathetic thing to happen to a sport. Despite all the punishments, drug testing, destroyed careers and publicity, people still dope! And not just any rider but people at the very top levels and entire cycling teams.

I think if we go down the road you mention, sports will cease to be sports and will instead become something of a science lab. The next logical step would be genetic engineering to make people faster, hearts and lungs bigger, muscles stronger and all other kinds of stuff. I dont think we want to go down that path as a society for the sake of winning an athletic contest.

• Lover, Hero, Good Guy
  • Emperor
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 11:13:05 AM »

All true Bra1n but the fact remains that we are pushing the boundaries of sport beyond that which is humanly possible so the only way to satisfy the desire for "faster,higher,stonger" is doping of some sort or as you suggest some form of genetic engineering to create "super humans".

Not ideal but i reckon that it's the future whether we agree to it or not.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 11:14:02 AM »

Here we go. Live from Bogota..

<a href="http://www.hulu.com/myspace/http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehulu%2Ecom%2Fwatch%2F4090/embed/SX1NU3DYknwC6EuBZxdH_Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.hulu.com/myspace/http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehulu%2Ecom%2Fwatch%2F4090/embed/SX1NU3DYknwC6EuBZxdH_Q</a>

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 11:17:42 AM »

and the London transport system will grind to a halt...thousands of brandy snaps suffocating on the tube  :rotf:

• Lover, Hero, Good Guy
  • Emperor
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »

Yeah, fuckin play something we can see in this country Bra1n ya Yankee snob  :goatse:

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus

• Lover, Hero, Good Guy
  • Emperor
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 12:03:59 PM »

Sheesh!

Second one doesn't work. Hulu streaming only works in the US.

Like i said, snobs  :goatse:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.748 seconds with 38 queries.