ThirdRailForum

• September 26, 2017, 03:40:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NFL Football in London  (Read 3207 times)

plus minus reset

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 377
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
NFL Football in London
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:33:45 AM »

I'll tell you what, I got goose bumps Sunday hearing God Save the Queen being sung in a jammed packed and rocking Wembley Stadium followed, not by England vs France, but by America's game - NFL football between two of the most high powered offenses in the league, the Chargers and Saints. The game didn't disappoint either despite missing one of the most explosive players, Reggie Bush.

Theyre talking about maybe having two games in London next year or the one after that and I have to think that Manchester Utd owner Malcolm Glazer would love to bring his Bucs there to put on a defensive show. Actually, I have to ask how any league owner wouldn't want to play in London and open the door to new country of disposable income fans.

Im interested in hearing what our limey friends from across the pond thought about the game and the entire idea/event of bringing American football to London. The commissioner said during the telecast that doesn't rule out a team in London in the future.

I think it makes plenty of sense because the money that the owner would generate by penetrating a new market in the UK including merchandising and tv rights across Europe would be huge. The old fart NFL owners need to get their head out of their arse, think beyond their continental US glass bubble and embrace this as a golden opportunity to grow the game and generate significant revenue instead of bitching about the overseas flight and losing a home game.

Deuteronomy 13:6-16

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Contestation probably just rolled in here.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The American Health system100+ Reply Thread - Addiction is it a disease
Re: NFL Football in London
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:46:20 PM »

Its a good attempt to take a game that effectively an American only sport off shore and give it exposure. Sure its played else where but only in a very limited capacity. 

I doubt it will get much of a following as Football is a religion to the Brits and most European countries. Those that don't follow that path are rugby followers and in England are generally what are considered the upper class, Cambridge and Ethan types.

It has always amused me how America has a world series for sports like Baseball yet its only contested by American teams? How can you be a world champ when you are not playing an international competition? 

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »

Proud to say that I was at the first ever NFL match at the old Wembley between the Dolphins and the Vikings back in the 80's when the great Dan Marino was playing.

NFL first started being broadcast in the mid/late 80's and I was hooked straight away and became a Redskins fan.  How could I not get hooked watching legends like Darryl Green, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Montana, Elway and Marino.

You'd be surprised how many NFL fans are over here, the NFL certainly ain't stupid.  Us Brits are sports mad, we fucking love it !

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »

That's pretty cool to hear when I have only heard negative words toward the NFL and the idea that we call something Football that isn't Futbal or soccer.

Also- we get it - the world series title shouldn't be called WORLD - that's old news too. Yawn.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 201
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

I went to the second one ever held about 25 years ago with a friend. The first year their was 30,000 the second when I was there there was 15,000 and a hell of a lot of that was US Servicemen and their families. Both at wembley.

I didn't buy into it, 3 hours plus for an hours play was to much like watching fishing but it was a good day out and met some very nice people there.

About 8 months later it was really hyped up and wembly was packed out for the next one.
My mate went again as he was nuts about it, I took the piss a bit as friends do but admired him for having an interest in the off-beat. We were both sports mad anyway so didn't need much of an excuse to go to an event.

Think it was Dallas v Phillidelpia.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:22:49 PM »

Rugby is more a rural game than a class based one, I and my friend played for the local town team and neither us are braying toffs.

The thing is with footie, rugby, cricket etc etc sports players are spread a lot thinner, and fans so there will always be a welcome for new sports but as for taking of thats unlikley.

More likly is English football league games in US cities as well as SE asia where the fan base is massive.

Google the 39th game if your interested, I would say if Gridiron wishes more of a global impact it should head out there.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Your Mom
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »

Speaking of football..er NFL... Giants. Just saying. I'm really REALLY happy again this season.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »

That's pretty cool to hear when I have only heard negative words toward the NFL and the idea that we call something Football that isn't Futbal or soccer.

Also- we get it - the world series title shouldn't be called WORLD - that's old news too. Yawn.

Well I think ive given NFL or gridiron a fair chance, its just not for me. I'd go again with friends but it would be for the day out.

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »

Who cares what those Englisher think.  If Cricket was to come here, we would all be..WTF?

Oh, and btw....GO BIG BLUE!  :snack:
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 10:20:58 AM »

u talking to me girly?

Angelica

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 66
  • Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Angelica has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2009 Death Pool Winner100+ Reply Thread - Obama Inaugaration
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 10:45:55 AM »

u talking to me girly?

*looks around*...yes, I guess I am!
"I'll believe that corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »

OK, Cricket is played in th US. Its played in LA by teams of ex-offenders and is credited with reform and its played by jamacan and Indian immigrants, The english dont seem to bothered.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 12:38:25 AM »

Yeah that's the beauty of different countries. We have our own thing so who gives a shit? That's the question.

Holy crap I'm going to shit my pants if the Giants go to the Super Bowl again this year. YAY!

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 02:39:28 PM »

Theyre talking about maybe having two games in London next year or the one after that and I have to think that Manchester Utd owner Malcolm Glazer would love to bring his Bucs there to put on a defensive show. Actually, I have to ask how any league owner wouldn't want to play in London and open the door to new country of disposable income fans.

Indeed...

Pats to play Bucs in London in 2009

LONDON (AP) -The New England Patriots will play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next season at Wembley Stadium, the third straight year the NFL will stage a regular-season game in the British capital. The game will be played Oct. 25. The Bucs will be listed as the home team, giving up a game in Tampa. "Over the past two years, we have seen firsthand the excitement that exists for our sport in the UK," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday in a statement. "The games have helped us to deepen our connection with our UK fans as well as create new ones. We are looking forward to another outstanding game in 2009."

Five weeks ago, the New Orleans Saints beat the San Diego Chargers 37-32 before 83,000 fans at Wembley. Last season, the New York Giants defeated the Miami Dolphins 13-10. Both games were sold out. The NFL is also expected to play a regular-season game in London in 2010.

The Buccaneers are owned by the Glazer family, the same group that runs defending Premier League champion Manchester United. "The Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization is extremely excited and honored to be chosen to participate in the NFL international series," Buccaneers executive vice president Joel Glazer said. "We look forward to being part of the NFL?s global outreach and playing our great game in front of Buccaneers fans overseas."

The Patriots and Buccaneers have combined to win four of the past seven Super Bowls, although New England lost to the Giants in last season?s title game. The Patriots won the Super Bowl following the 2001, ?03 and ?04 seasons, while the Bucs won the championship after the '02 season. "We have had a lot of memorable moments in recent years,"  Patriots chairman Robert Kraft said. "I think it is fitting that New England?s first game to be played outside of North America will be in England. I know that the UK is home to some of our most passionate Patriots fans and we look forward to the experience."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfl-londongame&prov=ap&type=lgns

There's your chance to see Tom Brady, assuming he recovers from his knee surgery in time for the game.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »

I'm glad that you Yank cunts don't play with the rest of us in the World.

My biggest fear is you fuckers getting into football...I can almost see it coming but I pray that you fuckers continue playing in your very own little sandbox and calling your league winners "World Champions".

Here's my worst nightmare.

Football takes off like wildfire in the USA...Major League Soccer attracts huge crowds and HUGE TV contracts...the entire US sports marketing machine (which is unequaled in the World) swings in behind the game...ALL of the VERY BEST players in the world swarm over to the USA attracted by the Yankee dollar...every single World Cup is won by the USA from 2014 onwards marking the beginning of a global footbal domination that lasts 500 years.

FUCK THAT for a game at Soldier Field.

You cunts stick in your own little fishbowl eh...we're OK over here...we're doing just fine   :snack:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 08:27:38 AM »

...however...on the other hand...as a sports fan...my sporting heart is somewhat saddened that you stupid insular Yank cunts NEVER get a taste of what its like for your national team to beat a bitter rival.

You twats have got no idea what that feels like and for a sport obsessed nation like the USA it leaves you somewhat sportingly bankrupt.

As a Brit...I would turn down a night of torrid sex with Kate Moss for a 1-0 football win over Germany...I would blank a 5 hour blow job off Pamela Anderson for a last minute Rugby World Cup winning drop goal by Johnny Wilkinson against our hated enemy Australia...I could go on and fucking on, chuck matches in against Scotland, Wales or France that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

As awesome as American sport is, and there is no doubt that its at the top of the tree, you cunts are really missing out on the pure essence of what sport is all about....nationalistic, jingoistic, fervent national pride.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »

...however...on the other hand...as a sports fan...my sporting heart is somewhat saddened that you stupid insular Yank cunts NEVER get a taste of what its like for your national team to beat a bitter rival.

You twats have got no idea what that feels like and for a sport obsessed nation like the USA it leaves you somewhat sportingly bankrupt.

As a Brit...I would turn down a night of torrid sex with Kate Moss for a 1-0 football win over Germany...I would blank a 5 hour blow job off Pamela Anderson for a last minute Rugby World Cup winning drop goal by Johnny Wilkinson against our hated enemy Australia...I could go on and fucking on, chuck matches in against Scotland, Wales or France that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

As awesome as American sport is, and there is no doubt that its at the top of the tree, you cunts are really missing out on the pure essence of what sport is all about....nationalistic, jingoistic, fervent national pride.

Those are good points. We arent big on the international sports scene for some reason and we dont have a national sport where people are willing to kill other people, go to jail or die for. Only in cities like Detroit AFTER they win a title of some sort do people overturn cars and set garbage cans on fire.

The closest we have to that are certain rabid rivalries in college football - Michigan - Ohio St, Alabama - Auburn, Oklahoma- Nebraska and a few others where people talk about the last game year round and build up to the next one. To those people, nothing is bigger in sports and perhaps life than beating the rival. Any of their real fans would give up creaming Kate Moss's face or anyone else's for a victory against the hated opponent but it only pertains to a relatively tiny cross-section of America and most other people who live outside the geographical area don't even have a clue of what it's all about. For other U.S. fans, they would have to be there and experience it to understand it.

I guaranty you that if you start a poll this week in any random Crimson Tide forum or any Gators forum about getting sucked off by (insert pornslut name) or beating the other team for the SEC championship on Saturday, the responses will be over 90 percent for the win. But overall, we're still light years behind in the fan devotion and loyalty department compared to most of the rest of the world.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 03:44:35 PM »

I hear what you are saying  :rotf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mor3ZBsKINI&eurl=http://www.college-football-sports.com/portable/sports/src/viewvideo_src.php?id=16777491&sp=1&plid=1&newfb=1iurl=http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/Mor3ZBsKINI/hqdefault.jpg

Its not like I'd ever accuse you cunts of not taking your sport to heart its just that you are sorely missing out on that one time when you ALL band together across State lines to ALL communally support a team that represents you ALL.  Like I've said up ^^^^ there...maybe thats not such a bad thing because if y'all did the rest of the World would be looking at a sporting hegemony that could most likely ever be rivalled.

White Rabbit

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • White Rabbit needs to post more to get noticed.White Rabbit needs to post more to get noticed.White Rabbit needs to post more to get noticed.
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 04:06:04 PM »

I'm not a fan of NFL as a rule.

It's OK, but too stop start for my liking, i don't like Rugby much either, i get a sense that a lot of American sports are built around spectator snack breaks.

But as regards the NFL at Wembley.

It's horseshit, it has nothing to do with attempting to break the sport in the UK, this isn't midget lobbing and we are not hunched in caves oohing over stick figures on walls.

As bauch mentions, there is an American football fanbase here and has been for years, since late night with Gary Imlach, or what ever his name is, on Channel four attracted all sort of insomniac unemployable drug addicts back towards the event horizon of the 80's.

There are plenty of American football teams in the UK, but they get no money and these matches at Wembley will supply them with nothing either.

It's a purely financial exercise to do absolutely anything to pay for the hugely runaway costs incurred when they totally fucked up the new national stadium and paid millions of pounds for loads of contractors to stand around taking sharp intakes of breath and mentioning how they needed to nip to Jewsons for parts for the North stand, then fucked off for a breakfast for three months.

It's all about the money, if they thought they could fill the place they would invite that Fritzl bloke over for a family reunion and a "surprise surprise", We have had to turn down the studio lights because she's sensitive, this is Gwen she's a Morlock and she's your daughter, ITV special.   

On the other hand, Cricket is a fine game, unless you happen to be barricaded into your Mumbai Hotel room wondering why Room service haven't bought your Bowler hat back from the dry cleaners.

I say
I don't like cricket oh no
I love it

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »

The ryder cup is is the closest to a Team event the USA have and it takes a certain type of arsehole to obsses about it.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 40 queries.