ThirdRailForum

• September 26, 2017, 03:30:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The VC Consensus Experiment  (Read 846 times)

plus minus reset

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
The VC Consensus Experiment
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:28:54 AM »

This weekend was bittersweet. After a year of intense focus on the presidential candidates and politics in general, in roughly a day and a half, my preoccupation will obviously have to shift drastically and I will have to find something else to bitch about if things go my way. There is a teeny part of me that is almost tempted to continue my republican voting legacy and vote for John McCain tomorrow morning, just so I have a literary muse for the next 4 years!  :vc: :vc: Yeah, I said it!

As most of you are probably aware by now, I work in a hospital setting. This is not only rewarding on many levels, but it affords me exposure to a vast array of "social characters". By "social characters" I mean, I am privileged to interact with varying degree's of people who come from almost every walk of life. From the janitor to the neurosurgeon and all of the many cultural, ethnic, economical, religious, and societal degrees above, between, and below.

That said, I took advantage of this exposure and feigned political indecision with the public so I could gather a general consensus of who they were voting for and why.

I kept a running tally of the numbers of people I encountered and who were willing to speak about their political inclinations. I spoke with 114 characters in all, each were eager to voice their opinions. Once they established they were a supporter of either party, I challenged them with exactly what policy or policies they identified with, more or less opening the door for them to convince me of who to vote for.

Not surprisingly, 108 of them were confident about voting for Obama, 4 were vociferous about why they were not going to vote for Obama, 1 was still undecided, and 1 was aggressively vehement about voting for McCain. 

I tried to start out my conversations while people were watching political conjecture on CNN, by saying something to the effect of "Wow, I am still so conflicted about who to vote for, how about you?". As I mentioned, the Obama supporters were quite confident in their decision.

The Obama supporters were more "middle class" and seemed to have education beyond a high school level. They were insightful and quite a few tried to be objective while discussing their reasons, in that they would compare both parties and identify the points they agreed or disagreed with.

A lot of Obama supporters voiced their concerns for our nations need for change. A few examples;

A geriatric gentleman, of Italian ethnicity stated that he was confident in Obama's judgment, his educational background, and his ability to surround himself with the type of experience needed to help him make decisions that would be in the best interest of "the people". He felt that the political indiscretions in the recent past were not geared to society and that needs to "change".

I spoke with a middle aged Caucasian woman who stated she was an educator in a private school setting. She was supportive of Obama's ideas for educational reform, wasn't really aware of any of McCain's plans to change education for the better, and was sickened and insulted by the McCain decision to appoint Palin as a VP candidate. She was disheartened by the negative path the McCain campaign was so desperate in taking, and she too felt the nation needed a political "change".

I spoke with an older "executive" gentleman who expressed his Republican background but was dismayed and embarrassed that McCain was running a race based on the same scare tactics that the Republican party has implored for the past 8 years. He was disgusted that his support of the Republican party and their "deregulative" ways cost both his wife and him their retirement savings. He stated that even during the onset of this "financial crisis", the Republicans had no qualms about instilling fear into our hearts and minds about how the situation should be handled before they even took the time to properly analyze the situation and the ways it should best be handled without as much detriment to society economically. He felt that Obama's demeanor in approaching the situation was far superior to McCain's farcical attempts at using such a travesty to further his political agenda. He said without "change" and a new outlook in the White House, our nation would continue to spiral out of control.

I spoke with an older retired couple. The older woman was the "undecided" I mentioned above. The husband was a self labeled Republican who "has had enough!". His sentiments revolved around the lack of substance of McCain's campaign, his fear that Sarah Palin could very well become our leader in the next 4 years, and his disappointment that John McCain has spent the majority of his campaign time talking about what he doesn't like about Obama, what he feels you shouldn't like about Obama, and the fact that nothing he promises to change has been backed up with a reasonable strategy to actually change our situation.The wife was undecided because she was till unsure of Obama's "experience", but she acknowledged that McCain's tactics to attack Obama's character were bothersome because she felt McCain had nothing else to talk about that mattered to him.

What I found most unusual was not a single person I spoke with, with either perspective voiced one concern about how TAXES would be changed.

The most interesting part of my experiment was the differing opinions and my interactions with the McCain "supporters". I will admit I was biased in interacting with these folks and challenged their statements more than I did with the Obamians, but only because their ignorance was astounding.

One African American woman who stated she was voting for McCain, suggested that we do not know the "REAL" Obama. He is a dishonest con-man with a hidden terrorist agenda. When I delved into exactly what gave her the impression that over the past 2 years, the secret service and the FBI certainly would have uncovered and unveiled such a maniacal plot to take over our country by now and would have likely incarcerated Obama if that were actually the case, she asked me what the word "maniacal" meant.

That pretty much was the case with the other McCainian's, but the whopper, essentially the "coup de grace" was the very last person I spoke with before wrapping up my day.

This person was a middle aged Caucasian gentleman whose career is somewhat lower level and he earns a living carting patients around the hospital. His job title is "transporter". The gist of his position is he aimlessly wheels people from floor to floor for testing or when they're coming or going.

I've shared light conversation with this individual in the past and though a little simple minded, he always seemed like a reasonably pleasant individual. HOWEVER, when he arrived in my department to "pick up" a patient and return them to their room, I made the mistake of questioning who he planned on voting for.

At that very moment, McCain was on the television giving one of his gollum like speeches where he asserts that Obama is the most liberal man on earth out of one side of his mouth and out of the other touts he is some sort of terrorist communist who kills babies. The "Transporter" pointed to the television and in an almost hitler-esque zeig heil salute, proclaimed aggressively "HIM!".

He must have immediately picked up on my look of disdain because he became very volatile with me right off the bat by asking "What? You want that black communist in charge?". To say the least, I was taken aback. I uttered that I was undecided, but thats about all he would let escape me as he proceeded to verbally bash Obama with a culmination of the slanders McCain has been blathering about for the past few months!

He began the "who is Barack Obama?" spiel. "Do we REALLY know who Obama is?" I countered with "You don't know who he is? He's been canvasing the United States and has been prominent in the media for the past 2 years, what DON'T you know??".

To this the transporter answered "Where was he REALLY educated, why won't he show us his records?!".

I explained that Obama went to Harvard and Columbia and was even a civil rights law professor.

The transporter became upset at this and gesticulated wildly saying "How do we know this for sure!?"

I was amazed and dumbfounded at his ignorance. He then proceeded to question where Obama's real birth certificate was. I cited that the matter of his birthplace has been dispelled by legitimate sources since the primaries and that if someone was born on foreign soil, it was John McCain because he was birthed on a base in Panama. This only escalated the tension of the conversation.

As he was stifled and cofused at this bit of knowledge, I quickly suggested the transporter compare the two health care policies both candidates have presented.

The transporter replied "The president doesn't make the laws, you know McCains healthcare policy..", this is where I interrupted with "Wait, if the president doesn't make the laws then how come McCain has been running around saying he has plans to change healthcare in a drastic way?? Is he lying?!".

Sensing this was going to be a losing argument, the transporter looked at the clock. I wasn't going to let his insipid ignorance off the hook that easily.

I told him to look at McCain's judgment in choosing Sarah Palin who obviously has no working clue as to the actual meaning of the Constitution or the Amendments or what the VP position actually entails.

To this the transporter replied "That Ni--er doesn't even know how many states we have, he thinks there are 57, everyone knows there are 52!!!".

At that point all I could do was shake my head and say "You're just as racist as McCain and we'll see how things turn out on Tuesday, have a great night", then I retreated to my office.

In closing, it was an intriguing experiment. I was reassured by most of what I heard. All I can do now is hope that there are enough people in our country who are fed up with the current state of affairs and are not sheep like, complacent, and eager to embrace the skewed viewpoints of that ogre John McCain.

Johnny Storm

• Model Citizen, Zero Discipline!
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 274
  • Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: TRF Flame ChampWin vs feral, Breakfall100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is so gay..100+ Reply Thread - My thoughts on Jorge Zimmerman2008 Fantasy Football Champ
  • WOOO WOOO!
Re: The VC Consensus Experiment
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:51:43 AM »

Obama has sit faithfully in the pews of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church for twenty years which only proves one thing......he's Muslim. 

On the other hand, John McCain didn't go to church...so, that proves he Christian
-Bill Maher

People believe what they want to believe, but the fact that most people are willing to at least listen to Obama's proposals is a testament that the big desegregation social experiment is working. 

You hate us because you ain't us, son!

• Senatore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »

Obama has sit faithfully in the pews of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church for twenty years which only proves one thing......he's Muslim. 

On the other hand, John McCain didn't go to church...so, that proves he Christian
-Bill Maher

People believe what they want to believe, but the fact that most people are willing to at least listen to Obama's proposals is a testament that the big desegregation social experiment is working.

I really, really hope so. It's time for the United States to show the rest of the world that we can look past ethnic and cultural differences and work together.

Not only do I just identify and agree with most of what Obama stands for, but I truly feel that because of his diverse background, his intelligence, and his genuine ability to instill hope with such a positive outlook during these dismally uncertain times; he will be an inspiration not only to black children, but to all children and hopefully to other countries that allow or encourage aberrational human proclivities.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 201
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:53:28 AM »

What concerns me about Buckwheat is there is a total shutdown on his university work, he had no published papers. Hes like all image and charm.

Johnny Storm

• Model Citizen, Zero Discipline!
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 274
  • Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: TRF Flame ChampWin vs feral, Breakfall100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is so gay..100+ Reply Thread - My thoughts on Jorge Zimmerman2008 Fantasy Football Champ
  • WOOO WOOO!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:21:42 PM »

What concerns me about Buckwheat is there is a total shutdown on his university work, he had no published papers. Hes like all image and charm.

You mean like Bush's DUI and cocaine abuse?  It's nothing new in high politics.  What until the real spicy stuff comes out about McCain's health.

You hate us because you ain't us, son!

• Senatore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »

Huh?? WTF are you talking about?? What do you mean by no published papers? The man has published several books and was and editor of and the first African American president of the Harvard Law Review**  :hammer:

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance (1995).

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream. (2006).

Barack Obama in His Own Words (2007)

"Renewing American Leadership" Foreign Affairs (2007)

Barack Obama: What He Believes In - From His Own Works. (2008)

Change We Can Believe In: Barack Obama's Plan to Renew America's Promise (2008)

a few others

**Obama entered Harvard Law School in late 1988. At the end of his first year, he was selected, based on his grades and a writing competition, as an editor of the Harvard Law Review. In February 1990, in his second year, he was elected president of the Law Review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the Law Review's staff of eighty editors. Obama's election as the first black president of the Law Review was widely reported and followed by several long, detailed profiles. During his summers, he returned to Chicago where he worked as a summer associate at the law firms of Sidley & Austin in 1989 and Hopkins & Sutter in 1990. After graduating with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) magna cum laude from Harvard in 1991, he returned to Chicago.

What a Law Review Does

Law reviews, which are edited by students, play a double role at law schools, providing a chance for students to improve their legal research and writing, and at the same time offering judges and scholars a forum for new legal arguments. The Harvard Law Review is generally considered the most widely cited of the student law reviews.

The Harvard Law Review, generally considered the most prestigious in the country, elected the first black president in its 104-year history today. The job is considered the highest student position at Harvard Law School.

• Senatore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 02:45:44 PM »

What until the real spicy stuff comes out about McCain's health.

This isn't juicy enough??  :confused:

It was the size of a dime and as thick as a nickel?a discolored blotch on John McCain's left temple. He didn't pay it much mind during the heat of the 2000 Republican primary campaign. But after losing the nomination to George W. Bush, the Arizona Senator found himself with time to spare. So as Bush celebrated victory, McCain headed to the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., to have the spot checked out.

Less than three weeks later, McCain endured 5? hours of surgery to remove a patch of skin including the blemish, roughly 5 cm (2 in.) wide. The diagnosis: Stage 2A melanoma, an invasive form of skin cancer that claims the lives of up to 34% of those diagnosed within 10 years. Doctors also made an incision down his left cheek to remove lymph nodes in his neck in case the cancer had spread; they found it had not. The surgery left a large scar, and for weeks McCain retreated from public view to recover.

Eeeks!

Mrs C

• Censor
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Mrs C seems dazed and confused most of the time.Mrs C seems dazed and confused most of the time.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - A reasonable answer to the Death Penalty
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:50:26 PM »

In any other context the conspiracy theories touted would be fun, but we are talkingf about the election of the most powerful person in the world.

Personally I have decided to spread it around that John McCain actually died of a heroin overdose on the same night as River Phoenix died at the Viper room. What you are actually watching is a well crafted comic satire played by Steve Martin in a latex face mask.

It worked until people started to point out that Steve Martin wouldn't know satire if Stephen Colbert personally tutored him.

• Senatore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »

I'm still fighting with my inner person over McCain actually being the Tolkien Gollum or the Peter Jackson Gollum.

He encompasses the sinister darkness and deviousness of the written Gollum but aesthetically, he could be the Jackson Gollums' doppleganger, right down to those herky-jerky mechanical arm gestures!
I swear!  :vc: 

:rotf:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 38 queries.