ThirdRailForum

• July 23, 2017, 11:05:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Constitutional Convention  (Read 567 times)

plus minus reset

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
Constitutional Convention
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:14:16 PM »

Tomorrow, when I go to vote, the first entry on my ballot will be this YES or NO question;

"Shall there be a Constitutional Convention to amend or revise the Constitution of the state?"

According to the Constitution of my state, Connecticut, every 20 years this question will be placed on the ballot for public consideration.

If the yes vote wins, then it will be incumbent upon the state legislature to convene a state Constitution Convention. An "Initiative Referendum" will be implemented to amend the states constitution.

From what I can gather so far and I may be totally incorrect in my understanding; this means that delegates of the state can place ordinances and other issues on an agenda to be discussed and voted on by the public in order to ratify laws and amendments proposed or implemented by elected officials. This would in turn change the constitution of the state depending on how the citizens voted. 

This is the first I've heard of this as 20 years ago, I was 17 and couldn't give a rats ass about the constitution of my state. My limited knowledge of this topic has left me yet to determine if this would make for a divisive situation.

I'm assuming that such a convention would be open to radicals and groups with "special interests" and there would be plenty of lobbyists involved, plus I am not clear on how delegates are appointed.   

Is anyone else aware of their own state having such a constitutional convention law? If so, do you know how it "works"?

Regardless of if your state has one or not, suppose it did; Would you vote YES or NO to have your legislature open your constitution for revision?

Deviouz1

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.
Re: Constitutional Convention
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 02:10:30 AM »

Regardless of if your state has one or not, suppose it did; Would you vote YES or NO to have your legislature open your constitution for revision?

i dont know enough about it to respond very well to the rest but this last question really has me torn. on the one hand the inability to change the US constitution could lead to having to wait or being unable to say, abolish slavery for example. but on the other hand i hate the idea of mutilating it beyond repair and have my kids living in a world where there is literally a law against everything.

the founding fathers had a pretty good idea going, granted it simply couldnt predict what changes would NEED to be made for future generations but i think that  in general they conveyed the spirit of what they were attempting to do and how do you keep that spirit alive when youre changing it every few years? i also think its very important that people making changes like that are people who truly have the fate of the country at heart and in mind and how can you really gauge that especially when youre talking about politicians? its a question of who you want wielding a very sharp double edged sword with your head within range.

now i know you were specifically referring to state constitutions but i think its all related and applies universally. i dont live in feudal europe and id like to keep it that way.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.  This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
Re: Constitutional Convention
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »

TY for your opinion D1! it was very helpful  :applause:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 36 queries.