ThirdRailForum

• November 17, 2017, 09:29:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I would be interested to know what you think  (Read 692 times)

plus minus reset

Mrs CTopic starter

• Censor
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Mrs C seems dazed and confused most of the time.Mrs C seems dazed and confused most of the time.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - A reasonable answer to the Death Penalty
I would be interested to know what you think
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:29:27 AM »

I was reading an article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/3374250/View-From-The-Lab-The-mathematics-behind-US-election.html

If you get past the initial paragraphs, there is a small part about Charles Dodgson theory on voting.

It is a source of wonder to me that after the whole Gore debarcle, there doesn't seem to have been a concerted effort to examine the voting methods in the US.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
Re: I would be interested to know what you think
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:09:45 PM »

Most of the voting problems that we have arent because of the voting methods, but because of the PEOPLE. They are too fucking stupid to follow directions.

Instead of drawing a straight line when they are suppose to, they draw an X or a circle. Instead of punching through a ballot card, they barely apply enough pressure to make a dent on a chad. Other people show up without bothering to register, at the wrong polling place or without an ID and expect to be allowed to vote. Is it any wonder why we use to just make people draw an X through a donkey or elephant next to a name?

It's easier to assume everyone follows the proper procedure and blame the machines or the state than to point the finger at the dimwits out there and insult the intelligence of the audience. Especially if youre a politician.

As for the unfairness of the Electoral College, there are pros and cons for both sides. It was a much debated topic by the founding fathers over 230 years ago and part of an overall compromise between the federalists and the anti-federalists.

Obviously, they couldnt envision a state like California with 37 million people at the time so a good argument can be made that we should re-examine the entire system including the wisdom of a state like Maine have as many Senators (ie., representation) as a state like California and the fairness of a candidate getting all of California's 55 electoral votes if s/he wins 51 to 49%.

The mistake would be to single something out like the Electoral College and not look at the entire system because it is all part of a framework which was the subject of compromises between a strong federal government and those who favored state's rights.

If you tinker with one thing and not the others, it will tip the scales in favor of one side and that can have drastic effects that people can't even think about right now. Suffice to say that our form of government may not exist today if there were major changes to it but the Constitution is horribly outdated, utterly ambiguous and in bad need of a textual facelift.

I would like to see a committee of the top constitutional scholars perhaps chaired by Laurence Tribe of Harvard and Ken Starr of Pepperdine, along with some top retired judges and history professors study these issues and make recommendations as to what we should do, if anything. Just keep the partisan politics out of it and do what is best for the country.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:59:29 PM »

Yeah I'm not going to quote - but everyting you said up there Brain, I agree.

I think another thing people forget is we are a Republic not a Democracy. Should we actually be? I don't know I need to research it but that is the fact of the matter.

I think it was fair this time.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »

As far as the whole "idiots being allowed to vote" thing goes, for the life of me I can't understand why they don't just have standardized voting booths. The ones we have in New York are relatively simple: the lever is under the name, pull down the lever and you've voted. There's no drawing lines or punching holes - for the love of God, everything else is automated in this country but when we're voting for the President of the United States we're still using pencils? :hammer:
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 12:15:52 AM »

I used a pen.  :grin:

and I still won some! Not 8 though =-( :tissue:

Lrd. Greymure

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Lrd. Greymure probably just rolled in here.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 08:18:08 AM »

Hopefully now that Bush is on his way out President Obama could order an investigation on what reallly happened. You didn't think Bush would order an investigation on himself did you? He was just pleased as punch that his daddy and bro were able to steall the election for him.
Greymure
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 38 queries.