ThirdRailForum

• October 23, 2017, 08:20:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dream Answered  (Read 2021 times)

plus minus reset

RizenPhoenizTopic starter

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RizenPhoeniz probably just rolled in here.
  • Relentless, Focused, Determined
Dream Answered
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:48:51 PM »

Martin Luther King Jr.  -August 28, 1963

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languished in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. And so we've come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the "unalienable Rights" of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note, insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."

But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. And so, we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.

We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. And those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. And there will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.

We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.

We cannot turn back.

There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities. We cannot be satisfied as long as the negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one. We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their self-hood and robbed of their dignity by a sign stating: "For Whites Only." We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until "justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream."?

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. And some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive. Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.

With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

And this will be the day -- this will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning:

My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.

Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim's pride,

From every mountainside, let freedom ring!

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true.

And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire.

Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.

But not only that:

Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

• Quaestor
Re: Dream Answered
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:49:27 PM »

America November 4, 2008

Sorry we took so long

Johnny Storm

• Model Citizen, Zero Discipline!
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 285
  • Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: TRF Flame ChampWin vs feral, Breakfall100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is so gay..100+ Reply Thread - My thoughts on Jorge Zimmerman2008 Fantasy Football Champ
  • WOOO WOOO!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 05:25:15 AM »

Try and catch a cab in NYC....keep dreaming.

You hate us because you ain't us, son!

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »

I never have a problem catching a cab.

Thanks for the post RP. I couldn't be more effing happy about this country than I am today. That speech makes me cry every single time I read it or hear it.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 08:06:56 AM »

I'm not entirely sure if this is a racist view or a bigoted statement, but there is a part of me that feels this man winning the highest power in this country should squelch the the portion of the african american population from being able to say they are oppressed by the white man.
I'm not trying to make light of the obvious ways african americans were actually oppressed for so many years, nor am I saying that racial bias has been eliminated; but am I wrong in saying we've closed a horrible chapter in American history?

• Quaestor
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:27:09 AM »

I'm not entirely sure if this is a racist view or a bigoted statement, but there is a part of me that feels this man winning the highest power in this country should squelch the the portion of the african american population from being able to say they are oppressed by the white man.
I'm not trying to make light of the obvious ways african americans were actually oppressed for so many years, nor am I saying that racial bias has been eliminated; but am I wrong in saying we've closed a horrible chapter in American history?

I think your right, Obama being elected shows that if you work hard enough and have enough ability, you can be whatever you want to, regardless of what skin you where born with. It doesn't magically fix anything though, look at the states that McCain did well in - Idaho, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas. In many parts of those states the N word is still used openly in public.

BTW storm, LA cabbies don't stop for 6'5" white guys with tattoos so I know what you mean.  :grin:

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »

"And so it came to pass that on November 4, 2008, shortly after 11 p.m. Eastern time, the American Civil War ended, as a black man -- Barack Hussein Obama -- won enough electoral votes to become president of the United States."  New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 10:54:25 AM »

This will put the skids under a lot of leftwing arguements.

America is fundementally racist.

Blacks oppressed.

Reperations for slavery(Will Obama be taxed and compensated).

When thatcher came in you had leftists arguing that thatcher was really a man, seriously, i had it said to my face, so expect accusations that Obama of being white from those who are now praising him for being the Black president.

Truth is electing a mullato fucks up arguments as sure as bringing up Bi-sexuals in arguments over gay rights  and choice.

You will find that racists like things clearly in black and white avoiding grey areas and that includes the swarths of racists on the left.  And of course you will get some blacks and whites claiming if he fucks up its because he doesn't have pure blood, is a mongral.

Personally i just want to debate his policies and fuck up the lefties on uk boards as they indulge in rounds of race worship.

Finally Thatcher, theres been many claims of what she has and has not done for women but next to no research from Sociologist academics etc(commies).

Some say she raised womens expectations but again theres no hard evidence. And again leftists in UK still moan about sexism in the work place(usually using loaded data), that the UK is still patriacal even we had a queen for yonks.

A malcontent is still a malcontent so expect some of the perceived xhange to be hollow and whats left to be denied.

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »

"And so it came to pass that on November 4, 2008, shortly after 11 p.m. Eastern time, the American Civil War ended, as a black man -- Barack Hussein Obama -- won enough electoral votes to become president of the United States."  New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman.

lol wtf?

As for his impact on racism it could go either way, its a big gamble.

Mrs C

• Censor
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Mrs C seems dazed and confused most of the time.Mrs C seems dazed and confused most of the time.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - A reasonable answer to the Death Penalty
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:25:22 AM »

All we hear is that America has elected it's first black president, but what I see is vastly different.

I see a young man with a young family (and therefore someone invested in the future for those children). I see the most powerful man on earth who views his country as a community and the world as a series of interlinking communities, diverse and valuable in themselves. The most powerful man on earth would rather talk first and shoot later, but is a man who thought nothing of traversing barriers that were viewed as insurmountable.

I see a man who has inspired hope and changed it into action on a very grass roots level and a man who has a calm disposition and a clear vision, who chooses his advisers according to their talent, not their political affiliation. I see a man that the rest of the world is happy to see take the lead.

America is the only superpower and as a Brit, I for one and glad to see it has chosen a measured leader who has reinstated worldwide respect for it.

Congratulations are in order.

Oh and he is black too

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 383
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Trolltunga
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »

When thatcher came in you had leftists arguing that thatcher was really a man, seriously, i had it said to my face, so expect accusations that Obama of being white from those who are now praising him for being the Black president.

Since yesterday I have heard about a half-dozen ignorant fools on c-span and some random talk radio station say that Obama shouldnt be president because he is lying about being a Christian and wasnt born here in the U.S. and that he had no birth certificate, obviously not aware of the two Constitutional requirements that one needs to verify in order to run for president. I can only imagine where they got that crap from. Probably a Twap thread.  :lol:

This discussion reminds me of the poignant answer that Christopher Hitchens says when he is asked if he can ever see an atheist president being elected. Something to the effect of if you asked people in the 40's if a Baptist peanut farmer or a second rate divorced actor would ever be president they would probably say no. The reason being is because the question doesn't get past the stereotypes and prejudices that people have and they haven't conceived of a leader like Ronald Reagan, the person.

When the right person comes along, people can start to put aside their prejudices and break barriers. Obama is the right person to break the race barrier. Leading to election, most of us around here who supported him wrote mostly about his policies and ideas and hardly anything in depth about his race aside from the prejudices of voters. I didnt even give it much thought until last night. The symbolism of what his election means to the country and the rest of the world with regards to race is certainly a topic worthy of discussion.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 01:43:47 PM »

America is fundementally racist.

Blacks oppressed.

Reperations for slavery(Will Obama be taxed and compensated).

Truth is electing a mullato fucks up arguments as sure as bringing up Bi-sexuals in arguments over gay rights  and choice.

You will find that racists like things clearly in black and white avoiding grey areas and that includes the swarths of racists on the left.  And of course you will get some blacks and whites claiming if he fucks up its because he doesn't have pure blood, is a mongral.

Personally i just want to debate his policies and fuck up the lefties on uk boards as they indulge in rounds of race worship.

Finally Thatcher, theres been many claims of what she has and has not done for women but next to no research from Sociologist academics etc(commies).

Some say she raised womens expectations but again theres no hard evidence. And again leftists in UK still moan about sexism in the work place(usually using loaded data), that the UK is still patriacal even we had a queen for yonks.

A malcontent is still a malcontent so expect some of the perceived xhange to be hollow and whats left to be denied.

WOW! Excellent points! A LOT to think about. Thanks you blue furry fuck.  :vc:

The few black people I've come across in the past months that expressed their malcontent for Obama, never voiced their disdain over him being mixed. However, the black people who are very near and dear to me did express that any black person against Obama is against him because they are jealous of his success and they will never admit that him being "mixed" is an extreme issue for them and that those black people themselves are the racist ones.

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 01:51:20 PM »

All we hear is that America has elected it's first black president, but what I see is vastly different.

I see a young man with a young family (and therefore someone invested in the future for those children). I see the most powerful man on earth who views his country as a community and the world as a series of interlinking communities, diverse and valuable in themselves. The most powerful man on earth would rather talk first and shoot later, but is a man who thought nothing of traversing barriers that were viewed as insurmountable.

I see a man who has inspired hope and changed it into action on a very grass roots level and a man who has a calm disposition and a clear vision, who chooses his advisers according to their talent, not their political affiliation. I see a man that the rest of the world is happy to see take the lead.

America is the only superpower and as a Brit, I for one and glad to see it has chosen a measured leader who has reinstated worldwide respect for it.

Congratulations are in order.

Oh and he is black too

I couldn't agree with this more. If you had asked me about my opinion of Obama last year at this time or if you were to research my commentary about him at FC, you will find that my sentiments were neither a black man or a woman will be president in our lifetime. It was a very narrow minded POV.

I am astounded at how after following him and reading his books, listening to him speak during interviews and debates, and his inspirational speeches that he totally reversed my mindset and outlook.

It is that charisma and that certain jena se qua that he has that makes one look beyond the superficiality of skin color. If he wasn't able to make you see past that, you're an ignorant individual with a racist heart.

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »

This discussion reminds me of the poignant answer that Christopher Hitchens says when he is asked if he can ever see an atheist president being elected. Something to the effect of if you asked people in the 40's if a Baptist peanut farmer or a second rate divorced actor would ever be president they would probably say no. The reason being is because the question doesn't get past the stereotypes and prejudices that people have and they haven't conceived of a leader like Ronald Reagan, the person.

I think that our next biggest barrier aside from race, is RELIGION. The sooner the hypocrisy of "god loves EVERYONE except those that don't share your point of view or way of living" is stifled and placed in the interminable round file, the sooner we can all be excepting of each others differences and be cohabitants on a more equalled field.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 02:07:14 PM »

It's not just a USA happening, but a global phenomena. For the first time in a long time, there is real hope that the world will be a better place in the near future. This article says it all..

Obama victory sparks cheers around the globe

By JOHN LEICESTER
The Associated Press
Wednesday, November 5, 2008; 1:37 PM

PARIS -- Barack Obama's election as America's first black president unleashed a renewed love for the United States after years of dwindling goodwill, and many said Wednesday that U.S. voters had blazed a trail that minorities elsewhere could follow.

People across Africa stayed up all night or woke before dawn to watch U.S. history being made, while the president of Kenya _ where Obama's father was born _ declared a public holiday.

In Indonesia, where Obama lived as child, hundreds of students at his former elementary school erupted in cheers when he was declared winner and poured into the courtyard where they hugged each other, danced in the rain and chanted "Obama! Obama!"

"Your victory has demonstrated that no person anywhere in the world should not dare to dream of wanting to change the world for a better place," South Africa's first black president, Nelson Mandela, said in a letter of congratulations to Obama.

Many expressed amazement and satisfaction that the United States could overcome centuries of racial strife and elect an African-American as president. "This is the fall of the Berlin Wall times ten," Rama Yade, France's black junior minister for human rights, told French radio. "America is rebecoming a New World. "On this morning, we all want to be American so we can take a bite of this dream unfolding before our eyes," she said.

In Britain, The Sun newspaper borrowed from Neil Armstrong's 1969 moon landing in describing Obama's election as "one giant leap for mankind."

Yet celebrations were often tempered by sobering concerns that Obama faces global challenges as momentous as the hopes his campaign inspired _ wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the nuclear ambitions of Iran, the elusive hunt for peace in the Middle East and a global economy in turmoil. The huge weight of responsibilities on Obama's shoulders was also a concern for some. French former Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin said Obama's biggest challenge would be managing a punishing agenda of various crises in the United States and the world. "He will need to fight on every front," he said.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said he hoped the incoming administration will take steps to improve badly damaged U.S. ties with Russia. Tensions have been driven to a post-Cold War high by Moscow's war with U.S. ally Georgia. "I stress that we have no problem with the American people, no inborn anti-Americanism. And we hope that our partners, the U.S. administration, will make a choice in favor of full-fledged relations with Russia," Medvedev said.

Europe, where Obama is overwhelmingly popular, is one region that looked eagerly to an Obama administration for a revival in warm relations after the Bush government's chilly rift with the continent over the Iraq war. "At a time when we have to confront immense challenges together, your election raises great hopes in France, in Europe and in the rest of the world," French President Nicolas Sarkozy said in a congratulations letter to Obama.

Poland's Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski spoke of "a new America with a new credit of trust in the world."

Skepticism, however, was high in the Muslim world. The Bush administration alienated those in the Middle East by mistreating prisoners at its detention center for terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and inmates at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison _ human rights violations also condemned worldwide.

Some Iraqis, who have suffered through five years of a war ignited by the United States and its allies, said they would believe positive change when they saw it. "Obama's victory will do nothing for the Iraqi issue nor for the Palestinian issue," said Muneer Jamal, a Baghdad resident. "I think all the promises Obama made during the campaign will remain mere promises."

In Pakistan, a country vital to the U.S.-led war on the al-Qaida terrorist network and neighbor to Afghanistan, many hoped Obama would bring some respite from rising militant violence that many blame on Bush. Still, Mohammed Arshad, a 28-year-old schoolteacher in the capital, Islamabad, doubted Obama's ability to change U.S. foreign policy dramatically. "It is true that Bush gave America a very bad name. He has become a symbol of hate. But I don't think the change of face will suddenly make any big difference," he said.

Obama's victory was greeted with cheers across Latin America, a region that has shifted sharply to the left during the Bush years. From Mexico to Chile, leaders expressed hope for warmer relations based on mutual respect _ a quality many felt has been missing from U.S. foreign policy.

Venezuela and Bolivia, which booted out the U.S. ambassadors after accusing the Bush administration of meddling in their internal politics, said they were ready to reestablish diplomatic relations, and Brazil's president was among several leaders urging Obama to be more flexible toward Cuba.

On the streets of Rio de Janeiro, people expressed a mixture of joy, disbelief, and hope for the future. "It's the beginning of a different era," police officer Emmanuel Miranda said. "The United States is a country to dream about, and for us black Brazilians, it is even easier to do so now."

Many around the world found Obama's international roots _ his father was Kenyan, and he lived four years in Indonesia as a child _ compelling and attractive. "What an inspiration. He is the first truly global U.S. president the world has ever had," said Pracha Kanjananont, a 29-year-old Thai sitting at a Starbuck's in Bangkok. "He had an Asian childhood, African parentage and has a Middle Eastern name. He is a truly global president."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/05/AR2008110501108.html

• Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 02:21:03 PM »

Reading that gave me a huge chill. Are the expectations tooooo HIGH?? Can one man possibly foster and follow through with such amiability world wide?

Imagine if McCain were to have won? I truly feel, very deep in my heart, if that man won we would be paving the road to a third world war all in the name of Halliburton and Blackwater.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

No, I dont think they are. They are the real world problems that a President has to deal with and I think he is up to the task. People like him who excel at most everything they do are at their best when the challenges are great. It forces him to utilize and make the most of his considerable talents.

That's why Im so adamant about a president needing to have a first rate mind and sound judgment over experience. Experience of being an executive in a state larger than most countries, having a father who was potus, a grandfather who was in Congress and a brother who was governor didnt help a buffoon like W any.

Give me the Illinois State Senator with no experience who was bright enough to analyze and see before it happened that a war with Iraq would be a disaster and prolonging it with a surge would just make things worse, as my president any day.

Deviouz1

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »

im looking forward to his next real speech. usually political speeches are dull and seem manufactured. but during that victory speech i cant remember seeing him look at any notes or do anything that detracted from what he was saying. he has a way of engaging you and making you believe again. when i hear him speak i hear ghostly whispers in the background saying things like "ask not what your country can do for you" and "four score and seven years ago" and "i have a dream" and now "yes we can".

This election had many firsts and many stories that will be told for generations.  But one that's on my mind tonight is about a woman who cast her ballot in Atlanta.  She's a lot like the millions of others who stood in line to make their voice heard in this election except for one thing - Ann Nixon Cooper is 106 years old.

She was born just a generation past slavery; a time when there were no cars on the road or planes in the sky; when someone like her couldn't vote for two reasons - because she was a woman and because of the color of her skin.

And tonight, I think about all that she's seen throughout her century in America - the heartache and the hope; the struggle and the progress; the times we were told that we can't, and the people who pressed on with that American creed:  Yes we can.

At a time when women's voices were silenced and their hopes dismissed, she lived to see them stand up and speak out and reach for the ballot.  Yes we can.

When there was despair in the dust bowl and depression across the land, she saw a nation conquer fear itself with a New Deal, new jobs and a new sense of common purpose.  Yes we can.

When the bombs fell on our harbor and tyranny threatened the world, she was there to witness a generation rise to greatness and a democracy was saved.  Yes we can.

She was there for the buses in Montgomery, the hoses in Birmingham, a bridge in Selma, and a preacher from Atlanta who told a people that "We Shall Overcome."  Yes we can.

A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination.  And this year, in this election, she touched her finger to a screen, and cast her vote, because after 106 years in America, through the best of times and the darkest of hours, she knows how America can change.  Yes we can.

America, we have come so far.  We have seen so much.  But there is so much more to do.  So tonight, let us ask ourselves - if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see?  What progress will we have made?

This is our chance to answer that call.  This is our moment.  This is our time - to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes We Can.

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.  This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

princess of pt

• Senatore
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 04:14:16 PM »

No, I dont think they are. They are the real world problems that a President has to deal with and I think he is up to the task. People like him who excel at most everything they do are at their best when the challenges are great. It forces him to utilize and make the most of his considerable talents.

That's why Im so adamant about a president needing to have a first rate mind and sound judgment over experience. Experience of being an executive in a state larger than most countries, having a father who was potus, a grandfather who was in Congress and a brother who was governor didnt help a buffoon like W any.

Give me the Illinois State Senator with no experience who was bright enough to analyze and see before it happened that a war with Iraq would be a disaster and prolonging it with a surge would just make things worse, as my president any day.

The "experience" concerns surrounding Obama was nullified with his judgments undoubtedly. That was never a huge concern of mine, with him. After all, unless someone is running for re-election, what genuinely qualifies as "POTUS experience"?

What is really bothering me is this almost "post coital bliss" we are  witnessing and reading about. In comparison to Bush and the GOP, Obama is certainly a huge contrast. His perseverance and intellect are definitely noteworthy and exactly what this nation is starving for. There is no denying that he is essentially the b12 we have been greatly neglected and are so deficient of.

The eight year crescendo of colossal issues that Obama will face can't realistically be assuaged entirely in a four year term. This troubles me because the general consensus seems to be that he is a messiah of sorts and there is not yet a real perceptibility of the actual bastion of circumstances he will face and be challenged with.

I worry that our nation was a complacent slumbering beast roused by this magnificent man and regardless of race, color, or creed, in a society where we tend to expect things to be done NOW or even yesterday, will the anticipation of his actions and his ensuing decisions be enough?

What I mean is you and I grasp what lay ahead and are confident in his ability and judgment, but the general view, the world view, are the expectations too high?  If significant change is not brought about immediately, how will perceptions be affected? And how will those perceptions effect outlooks and confidences?

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »

The "experience" concerns surrounding Obama was nullified with his judgments undoubtedly. That was never a huge concern of mine, with him. After all, unless someone is running for re-election, what genuinely qualifies as "POTUS experience"?

Unless youre a former First Lady or a Chief of Staff or someone who actually has day to day knowledge of what a President goes through, nothing. It's a red herring. I still want to know what all this superior experience that McCain has is how exactly it was that he was "tested"?

Was he tested by getting his ass kicked by 120 lb gooks every day for 5 years? Is that the test that he was clinging to as passing in the presidential campaign? Because for the life in me, I cant see anything else in his record which would distinguish him from being 'tested' more so than Obama.

And what's all this experience that is suppose to be relevant? Was he touting his 26 year experience for sitting on his ass and working either passing or rejecting new laws in the Senate? That would be relevant and helpful to a President who did the same thing for 4 years exactly how? Nothing but unadulterated horseshit extracted and processed into Kool Aid to give to the supporters who never dare to question a party line.

As to the second part, it is a lot easier to govern when you have a Congress on your side and a mandate from the people. In that sense, it should be much easier for him to employ his programs and ideas. The economy and many other matters arent going to get fixed overnight but he has plenty of time to make progress that he can point to four years from now.

People voted for change and that is what he has to deliver. If four years from now, everything is still the same - i.e., we're still in a needless war in Iraq, we have no health care, no immigration reform, nothing done to ameliorate the energy crisis, prison camps to torture enemies, eroding constitutional liberties and the national debt soars to $20 trillion, then maybe he shouldnt get a second term. But if he works to CHANGE some of those things for the better, then he would have done what he was elected to do.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 41 queries.