ThirdRailForum

• November 22, 2017, 02:01:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Parents oppose end of care for brain-dead son  (Read 2853 times)

plus minus reset

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
Parents oppose end of care for brain-dead son
« on: November 09, 2008, 10:36:56 PM »

I know, I KNOW...not another kid story; but while looking for an update on the Arizona boy, I came across this "atrocity"...

Initially when I read the article, I thought to myself, this is atrocious! These people are fucking religious zealots!! But then I got to thinking outside of the box and I sometimes have to check myself over things of this nature because I've become a bit desensitized from working in the medical field...

What if this was my child? Are orthodox beliefs really why the parents don't want treatment to stop? Maybe they just can't let go yet??

Considering the child is "dead" and his brain tissue is necrotic already and the machines are "living" for him, should the doctors even fight the wishes of the parents? I mean, as long as the family is willing to pay for the child's "care", why even argue the point of letting machines do the living? It's not like the child is in pain or is even able to suffer.

Family cites religious beliefs in refusing hospital's request to stop treatment

updated 11:28 p.m. ET, Sat., Nov. 8, 2008
NEW YORK - A Washington hospital has asked a judge for permission to stop treating a brain-dead 12-year-old cancer patient, even though his ultra-religious New York parents want to keep him on life support.

Motl Brody of Brooklyn was pronounced dead this week after a half-year fight against a brain tumor, and doctors at Children's National Medical Center in Washington say the seventh-grader's brain has ceased functioning entirely.

But for the past few days, a machine has continued to inflate and deflate his lungs. As of late Friday afternoon, his heart was still beating with the help of a cocktail of intravenous drugs and adrenaline.

That heartbeat has prompted Motl's parents, who are Orthodox Jews, to refuse the hospital's request to remove all artificial life support.

Under some interpretations of Jewish religious law, including the one accepted by the family's Hasidic sect, death occurs only when the heart and lungs stop functioning.

That means Motl "is alive, and his family has a religious obligation to secure all necessary and appropriate medical treatment to keep him alive," the family's attorney wrote in a court filing this week.

The family has asked the hospital to leave the breathing machine on and keep administering drugs until the boy's heart and lungs no longer respond.

Disagreements between families and medical providers over when to end care for terminally ill patients are common, experts say, but this case wound up in court with unusual speed.

Unlike Terri Schiavo or Karen Ann Quinlan, who became the subjects of right-to-die battles when they suffered brain damage and became unconscious, Motl's condition has deteriorated beyond a persistent vegetative state, his physicians say. His brain has died entirely, according to an affidavit filed by one of his doctors.

His eyes are fixed and dilated. His body neither moves nor responds to stimulation. His brain stem shows no electrical function, and his brain tissue has begun to decompose.

"This is death at its simplest," the hospital's lawyers wrote in a court filing.

The hospital said it would help the family move what it called the boy's "earthly remains" to another medical facility, but has found none willing to accept a brain-dead child.

The dispute wound up in court Sunday, when the family asked a federal judge to block the hospital from doing any further tests for brain activity.

The hospital responded by asking a District of Columbia Superior Court judge for permission to discontinue treatment.

Jeffrey I. Zuckerman, the attorney for Motl's parents, says they have been "utterly shattered" by the hospital's actions.

He stressed that the family's demand for continued life support was based on their obligations under religious law, not an unrealistic hope that their boy will recover.

"You can always hope for a miracle, but if you are asking if they are in denial about their child's medical condition, no, they are not," Zuckerman said.

A hearing was scheduled for Monday, but Children's National Medical Center said it would ask for a postponement until Wednesday.

"We respect the family's beliefs, and have tried since the patient's arrival in June to work closely with them in a spirit of mutual respect," the hospital said in a written statement.

It added, however, that attempts to discuss end-of-life issues with the family had been complicated.

Motl's mother and father, Eluzer and Miriam Brody, haven't been to the hospital since July. The medical center says its requests to speak directly with them have been rebuffed, and in recent days, hospital employees "have been inundated with harassing and threatening calls" regarding the case.

A substantial delay in resolving the disagreement may render it moot. The hospital suggested in legal filings that the boy's remaining body functions will cease within weeks, if not days.

Dr. Edward Reichman, an associate professor of medicine at Albert Einstein Medical College in New York, said the question of how to accommodate religious beliefs regarding brain death comes up occasionally in New York, where there is a large population of Orthodox Jews.

While there is intense debate over whether to accept brain death as the spiritual end of life, hospitals usually find a way to work through it, he said.

"More often than not, the medical team ... will accept the wishes of the family, especially if cardiac death is anticipated in a short window of time," he said.

Arthur Caplan, a professor of bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania, said physicians aren't obligated to provide care that can't possibly be medically helpful.

"Doctors are well within their rights to say, 'We are stopping,'" he said. "I don't think medicine can become subservient to religious, spiritual or mystical hopes and beliefs concerning how to manage death."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27611868/

RizenPhoeniz

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RizenPhoeniz probably just rolled in here.
  • Relentless, Focused, Determined
Re: Parents oppose end of care for brain-dead son
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:14:28 PM »

I'm pretty heartless on this subject, the kids dead pull the plug and free up the equipment/room for the living. Then again, I have no tolerance for people that live their life based on a fairy tale written by other people to keep them in line and not thinking for themselves.

• Senatore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:36:39 PM »

Well, yes..I agree. As morbid as it sounds, the kids brain is rotting in his skull, there really isn't any sense in keeping him alive artificially.

BUT, he was diagnosed and died within 6 months. They haven't even seen him since July, it sounds very much like they can't let go.

I usually see a few people die every couple of months and I'm no stranger to the morgue at the hospital, but when someone I love or care about is dying or dead, I can't bring myself to go see them laying in a hospital bed or in a casket. It sounds insensitive or maybe even selfish, but I don't want to remember them sickly or all made up like a formaldehyde plumped fucking clown.

If they're willing to pay the hospital to keep the kids heart beating, I don't see what the problem is.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:54:29 AM »

The problem is- if they really thought he was still alive why would they want him to feel alone for 4 months? BECAUSE HE CAN'T FEEL. Get some closure and end it man. I cried reading it because I have two boys, but when I got to the "Haven't visited him since July" part I have to agree with the hospital. If they gave a shit they would be there.

When my son's face was split open and gross healing from a dog attack you can bet it hurt to look at him but he never knew it. I was with him.

If he was in a coma with a chance to come out of it, you bet I would be there as much as I could. If his brain was decomposing and not functioning, he would be dead and we would have a funeral and I honestly don't know what would happen to me mentally without him (jeez i'm going to cry thinking about it- hormones blow ass!) but it's something that needs to be taken care of and hiding reality behind religion is no excuse. What if your child needed that room and equipment but the hospital was full of dead patients with deluded parents?

• Senatore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 02:39:23 AM »

Well, you've made excellent points Fippi and I empathize with each and every single one of them and feel the very same way about my own children. As you're probably aware I deplore any sort of religion, god, or set of rules imposed by a fictitious character to keep the sheep in order; But, we live in a country where we're supposed to be free to believe in whatever we want to believe in, take Tom Cruise for example. Who am I to implose my scientific beliefs on others?

If these people believe that because the heart is still beating and the lungs are capable of respiration (even if it is by artificial means) their son is "alive" spiritually- Why should their beliefs be condemned or belittled just because we don't share the same ideas surrounding death?

RizenPhoeniz

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RizenPhoeniz probably just rolled in here.
  • Relentless, Focused, Determined
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 04:00:55 AM »

Well, you've made excellent points Fippi and I empathize with each and every single one of them and feel the very same way about my own children. As you're probably aware I deplore any sort of religion, god, or set of rules imposed by a fictitious character to keep the sheep in order; But, we live in a country where we're supposed to be free to believe in whatever we want to believe in, take Tom Cruise for example. Who am I to implose my scientific beliefs on others?

If these people believe that because the heart is still beating and the lungs are capable of respiration (even if it is by artificial means) their son is "alive" spiritually- Why should their beliefs be condemned or belittled just because we don't share the same ideas surrounding death?

Because our ideas are part of reality not superstition, oops, there I go thinking facts matter again.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 08:04:30 AM »

I find it interesting that the hospital is so vehement about turning off the life support; generally speaking the medical profession is on the other side of this battle.

The whole "haven't been to the hospital in 4 months" issue is really sticking in my craw. They're having difficulties "letting go?" Perhaps if they actually went and physically saw the boy it would make it easier for them.

It's not my place to judge any parent's actions; no one but them knows what is going on in their minds and hearts. But I'm having a really hard time believing any of this matters to them on any but the shallowest level because they haven't been anywhere near the child apparently since they were told he was going to die (I suck at math so I could be wrong on that).
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

• Senatore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 09:05:36 AM »

I find it interesting that the hospital is so vehement about turning off the life support; generally speaking the medical profession is on the other side of this battle.

The whole "haven't been to the hospital in 4 months" issue is really sticking in my craw. They're having difficulties "letting go?" Perhaps if they actually went and physically saw the boy it would make it easier for them.

It's not my place to judge any parent's actions; no one but them knows what is going on in their minds and hearts. But I'm having a really hard time believing any of this matters to them on any but the shallowest level because they haven't been anywhere near the child apparently since they were told he was going to die (I suck at math so I could be wrong on that).

That was perhaps the most compelling reason for why the article intrigued me the most and I was moved to post it for discussion. It's quite an unusual set of circumstances and debatable on a few different levels.

As adults, we have the privilege of a "living will". I suggest everyone look into establishing one regardless of age, unless you're comfortable with someone else determining when your plug should or shouldn't be pulled.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 05:23:11 PM »

I set mine up when I went into the hospital to have my firstborn.

And I gotta tell you, my ex was a LITTLE TOO INTERESTED in what I considered "extreme measures..." :uhuh:
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Your Mom
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:32:18 PM »

I agree- Even though I can't fathom letting some cockamamie religion fairy tale run how I live realistically, I understand people have beliefs and this couple's belief is that the heart is beating still.

But really... does it count if as soon as you turn the machine off they won't be alive anymore? And part of the body is decomposing! The BRAIN part! Shiz man!

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »

WHY is my avatar a red X? Eff! I'm MSing (Notice no P) so I am not in the mood for this shit. Be back.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »

Ok all better - I will fix my sig, anyway -

I also, having two kids, understand not wanting to let go either but just like IP - seriously... not visiting since July is not even comprehensible to me.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 11:19:04 PM »

Hospital administrators care about about one thing - the hundreds of thousands of dollars it is going to cost them to continue life sustaining procedures when there is no hope and little chance that the family will pay any of the medical bills. Even if the kid had insurance, I bet they stopped paying long ago. Hospitals deal with these type of cases all the time and they have a protocol that they follow.

Maybe thousands of years from now, religious people will figure out that all the countless of hours of praying to their god for supernatural intervention has never once resulted in the regeneration of dead tissue and science will in turn find a way to make an organism come back to life again by cloning or some other method.

But as of now, once tissue is dead, it's dead for good. Bacteria will begin to feast on it and turn it back to amino acids and simple chemical elements like nitrogen, hydrogen, and CO2 which may eventually bond into other living tissue or matter or become fuel like methane for us to burn thus continuing a cycle.

If scientifically ignorant people could somehow peer inside a dead warm body and see the scale of bacteria devouring and reproducing upon the dead tissue of their loved one, that might be the slap in the face they need to get them over the acceptance hump. Even if they couldnt see it, the smell would be more than enough. If I were the hospital administrator, I would cut off the a/c to that room ever so slightly every day until the family cant stand to go into the room from the smell. There's nothing that says the hospital has to provide a brain dead patient on life support with a/c.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

• Senatore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 12:53:58 AM »

ditto brian above  :vc:

as far as them not seeing the child since july, i believe they are hasidic jews. i'm sure there is some ridiculous religiously esoteric reasoning regarding the mitsvot pertaining to why they haven't  ::)

if you ask me personally, it's just another reason for the VC list of why all religion should be abolished.

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 06:20:19 AM »

The a/c idea is a good one except for one thing: THE FAMILY HASN'T BEEN THERE SINCE JULY. :hammer:

• Senatore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »

Nothing newsworthy on the Motl Brody front; Just a brief from the Washington Post

Thursday, November 13, 2008; Page B04
SUPERIOR COURT

Hearing on Boy Delayed; Family, Hospital Talk

A hearing scheduled for today in the case of a 12-year-old boy who was declared dead by Children's Hospital was postponed until Wednesday as attorneys for the hospital and the boy's family meet.

The parents of Motl Brody were scheduled to testify today about their son, who remains in the hospital's intensive-care unit. The hospital is asking D.C. Superior Court Judge William Jackson to affirm its judgment that the boy can be taken off life-sustaining equipment, arguing that nothing more can be done.

The boy's parents, who are Orthodox Jews from Brooklyn, don't want the hospital to remove life support because their faith does not define death based on absence of brain activity.

In an e-mailed statement, the hospital said that "due to the evolving nature of this situation, Children's National and the Brody family have jointly requested a postponement of the hearing. We remain hopeful that we can come to a resolution out of court."

-- Keith L. Alexander
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/12/AR2008111203064.html?sub=AR

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »

I still don't understand what these people don't get about the difference between "lack of brain activity" and "brain quietly decomposing in dead boy's skull."  It's not that hard.

• Senatore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »

Nope. It really isn't.

Like I said, just another reason to abolish religion. It's a man made institution regardless of what faith or denomination. It was well intentioned in the beginning no doubt, but the stronghold it places on peoples intellect is fucking scary.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 05:36:12 PM »

The a/c idea is a good one except for one thing: THE FAMILY HASN'T BEEN THERE SINCE JULY. :hammer:

Then WTF are they even doing asking the hospital to keep pumping o2 into their dead son? If they want to preserve him like a modern day mummy then let them buy THEIR OWN life sustaining equipment to keep pumping o2 through his body.

In fact, let all these fucking churches and religious groupies band together and open a care center for brain dead people whose family refuses to accept lack of brain activity as death. Then we can ship all the dead bodies to them and THEY can pay from their church donations for the costs to keep them breathing artificially until 'god' finds the time to answer their telepathic prayers.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Your Mom
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 10:46:54 PM »

Then WTF are they even doing asking the hospital to keep pumping o2 into their dead son? If they want to preserve him like a modern day mummy then let them buy THEIR OWN life sustaining equipment to keep pumping o2 through his body.

EXACTLY!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 37 queries.