ThirdRailForum

• November 24, 2017, 10:04:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ayers FINALLY speaks out publicly!  (Read 589 times)

plus minus reset

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
Ayers FINALLY speaks out publicly!
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »

WOW! Is it too little, too late though?? Why the delay?

Quite frankly, I'm surprised. I didn't think he would give the issue a second glance as it was clearly as he states- basically a fear tactic manipulated and blown up by buffoons to generate discord for the Obama campaign.

I wonder what compelled him and if it was Sarah Palin's recent post election bipolar discourse that finally did the trick??  :rotf:

Ayers lashes out at 'dishonest' attacks
By ANDY BARR | 11/14/08 10:48 AM EST

Former anti-war radical William Ayers lashed out Friday at ?dishonest? attacks over his prior association to President-elect Barack Obama during the 2008 presidential campaign.

In his first post-election interview, Ayers said on ABC's "Good Morning America" that he became an issue in the campaign "unwittingly and unwillingly," and he accused Republicans of promoting a ?profoundly dishonest narrative.?

"This idea that we need to know more, like there's some dark, hidden secret - some secret link - is just a myth," he said. "And it's a myth thrown up by people who wanted to kind of exploit the politics of fear. And I think it's a great credit to the American people that those politics were rejected."

The former leader of the Weather Underground, a radical group that bombed the U.S. Capitol, Pentagon, New York City Police Department and other targets in the early and mid-'70s in protest of the Vietnam War, said his association with Obama was overstated during the campaign.

"I knew Barack Obama, absolutely," Ayers said. "I knew him probably as well as thousands of other Chicagoans and like millions and millions of other people worldwide. I wish I knew him better right now."

"I was asked by the state senator to have a coffee for Barack Obama when he first ran for office. And we had him in our home. And I think he was probably in 20 homes that day as far as I know. But that was the first time I really met him," Ayers said. "But the assumption is that if two people share a cup of coffee or take a bus downtown together or have a thousand other types of associations, that that somehow means they share politics, outlook, policy or responsibility for one another's actions."

Republican presidential nominee John McCain often seemed hesitant to attack Obama over the association, although he questioned the relationship. But GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin frequently attacked Obama for his association with Ayers, accusing the Democrat of "palling around with terrorists."

Palin continued to assail Obama over the issue on Wednesday, saying in an interview on CNN, "I still am concerned about that association with Bill Ayers."

"If anybody still wants to talk about it, I will, because this is an unrepentant domestic terrorist who had campaigned to blow up, to destroy our Pentagon and our U.S. Capitol," Palin said. "That's an association that still bothers me."

Ayers rejected the idea that his association to the president-elect is worth further examination and defended the actions taken by the Weather Underground during the 1960s.

"Let's remember that what you call a violent past, that was at a time when thousands of people were being murdered by our government every month. And those of us who fought to end that war were actually on the right side," Ayers said.

"I don't really agree with the premise that this is somehow worthy of really exploring because I don't buy the idea that guilt by association should be any part of our politics."

Still, Ayers said he recognized his controversial status, and he credited Obama for his willingness to talk with people that present potential political risk. And he praised voters for not punishing the Illinois Democrat for his association.

"Far from being a demerit on his record, the fact that he's willing to talk to a lot of people from a lot of different walks of life, listen to a lot of opinions, and still have a mind of his own is something we should honor and admire," Ayers said.

"As much as this was created as an issue in the campaign, it appears that for most people, it had no traction."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15626.html

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
Re: Ayers FINALLY speaks out publicly!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »

I didn't take it all that seriously when Ayers was brought into the election as a tactic to smear Obama, and I honestly don't take it seriously now.

The whole thing was as Ayers said it was -a fear tactic, and it didn't work. I'm quite sure that for the most part the American people realize that we've all got associations in our pasts that may not shed us in the best light in the present, but Oh My God that was what? Thirty years ago? The entire non-issue was a smear tactic on McCain and Palin's part and it backfired nicely, tyvm.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
Re: Ayers FINALLY speaks out publicly!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »

Everything IP said. When Obama retorted during that last debate I was cracking up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 32 queries.