ThirdRailForum

• June 19, 2018, 02:39:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The NIMO Tube: Rarest And Most Dangerous Digital Display Of All Time  (Read 110 times)

plus minus reset

your daily reality enemaTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • your daily reality enema embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - John-John and Benzover were snuggling

A bit tech heavy for the layperson, interesting nonetheless. Thought I'd share.

rancidmilko

• Supreme Ruler
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.
  • Fan of: Nunya
Re: The NIMO Tube: Rarest And Most Dangerous Digital Display Of All Time
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »

A nice piece of old tech, but not that much interesting

• Senatore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »

A nice piece of old tech, but not that much interesting
Perhaps not to you. I've just finished watching a bunch of her other vids on different display elements from the same era, (Nixies, VFD's, one plane projectors et al); learning how each one works fascinates me.

rancidmilko

• Supreme Ruler
  • rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.rancidmilko is finally starting to make some sense.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:50:09 PM »

Perhaps not to you. I've just finished watching a bunch of her other vids on different display elements from the same era, (Nixies, VFD's, one plane projectors et al); learning how each one works fascinates me.

I couldn't help but skipping the last 15 mins

I saw a video of some guy making DOOM run on an old digital camera's LCD, that was one cool hack

I was hoping she would try to make it show something other than numbers 

• Senatore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »

She did. About halfway through the vid she started trotting out schematic diagrams of the electronics she designed to run it. She also made a bunch of comparisons to other lower voltage TTL based technologies that were being developed alongside the NIMO at the same time and within the same company... technologies that I recognised seeing used in movies like THX 1138.

* your daily reality enema shrugs

I guess I'm driven to learn stuff for its own sake. It's not as if I'm ever expecting to have a practical use for the knowledge, but I could say the same for the workings of foreign political establishments too and I already know pretty much enough of that shit backwards to be bored with it.

rancidmilko

• Supreme Ruler
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:27:51 AM »

She did. About halfway through the vid she started trotting out schematic diagrams of the electronics she designed to run it. She also made a bunch of comparisons to other lower voltage TTL based technologies that were being developed alongside the NIMO at the same time and within the same company... technologies that I recognised seeing used in movies like THX 1138.

* your daily reality enema shrugs

I guess I'm driven to learn stuff for its own sake. It's not as if I'm ever expecting to have a practical use for the knowledge, but I could say the same for the workings of foreign political establishments too and I already know pretty much enough of that shit backwards to be bored with it.

Adjusted brightness and such, that's it

she didn't play DOOM in it

rancidmilko

• Supreme Ruler
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:30:31 AM »

It does remind me of something out of Fallout, though

• Senatore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:31:41 AM »

Adjusted brightness and such, that's it

she didn't play DOOM in it
Preobably because it wasn't designed for Doom. This is after all 1969 technology we're talking about.

You can't play Doom on a Howitzer either. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Breakfall

• "Breaky"
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Breakfall has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 300 Replies - Very seldom thread...200 Replies - Very seldom thread...100 Replies - Very seldom thread...100 Replies - I bought a little tinny today..200 Replies - What is wrong...too scared to..100 Replies - What is wrong...too scared to..100 Replies - Why is Johnny Storm such a..100 Replies - And so begins the dismantling of..
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 06:20:10 AM »

There‚Äôs nothing more funnier than dumb folk trying to colonic irrigate! 🤣
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 2.081 seconds with 35 queries.