ThirdRailForum

• November 20, 2017, 06:29:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOLY SHIT! I'm SOOO glad I didn't go for this!  (Read 1176 times)

plus minus reset

princess of ptTopic starter

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
HOLY SHIT! I'm SOOO glad I didn't go for this!
« on: December 05, 2008, 12:04:42 AM »

At FC, I mentioned the price of home heating fuel way back when and how it cost me over 1000 to put fuel in my tank and how my oil company was offering contracts to "lock in" prices. Looks like all the people who went for it are fucking screwed!  :sad:

Consumers want out of fuel oil contracts

HARTFORD -- Call it locked-in remorse.

State officials have received about 1,000 complaints from people who locked into home heating oil contracts last summer, when prices were pushing up against $5 a gallon.

Now, with prices at about half that amount, Department of Consumer Protection Commissioner Jerry Farrell has fielded 700 complaints and Attorney General Richard Blumenthal's office has gotten several hundred reports from customers who believe they're now being gouged.

Connecticut oil dealers say -- and Blumenthal agrees -- that state law required them to commit to higher contracts with wholesale distributors at the same time consumers signed their winter delivery deals last summer, months before the historic plummet in oil prices.

Blumenthal said Wednesday that there's little or nothing that locked-in customers can do, unless their contracts are flawed or inadequately drafted.

He said that some contracts may be invalid or unenforceable, especially if the price was not disclosed in advance or in writing, along with method of delivery and penalties in case a contract was broken.

"There is a limit on what they can charge when a contract is terminated," Blumenthal said. "The dealer will have to prove he bought futures for a prepaid product."

Complainants should calculate how much product they used heating their homes last year, multiply that by the difference in the current market rate versus the contracted rate, then calculate whether that amount exceeds the potential contractual penalty, he said.

"That has to be done family by family, consumer by consumer, how big the house is and how much heating oil is used," Blumenthal said.

...more

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
Re: HOLY SHIT! I'm SOOO glad I didn't go for this!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:47:12 AM »

That;s funny, they have the same thing for gasoline and i was thinking about this a couple of days ago. I dont know what these people think. They get to lock in the price if it goes up but if it goes down they get their money back?? What idiot is going to offer that kind of deal and make money at it? That's like buying a stock and complaining when the price goes down instead of up.

Too fucking bad. That's the chance they take. In another 6-8 months the price will probably be back up again anyways.
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

• Senatore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 01:05:38 AM »

I wish i saved the paperwork they sent offering the lock in damnit!! It was actually pretty funny stuff! I laughed about it, tore my identifying information off of it and threw it in the trash. I'm actually a little surprised that so many people went for it.

What still blows my mind is that home heating fuel is literally the bottom of the barrel and the next step up is diesel and how both are still up in price over gasoline, at least around here.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:15:44 AM »

Well, you shouldnt be surprised the way the prices were going up as we chronicled in that FC gas thread. Im sure a lot of people were thinking that it was just going to keep rising and now maybe the opposite - that it will keep falling or stay this low. All it takes is a major terrorist attack to send it back through the roof and there are enough warnings about a subway/train attack again this holiday season. I think right around now would be a good time to sign up for that program.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them

• Senatore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 01:26:25 AM »

Nah, I don't doubt the prices will go up a bit, they always do during the holidays, but it's so unstable right now, I'm not signing shit and taking that risk. It's too much of a gamble.

It's fucking crazy that oil companies can get away with pricing like they do. Especially in such fucked up economic times. I think I said this once before, but the elderly and the fixed income folks are the ones who are really getting the shaft and it's just not right.

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 01:48:29 AM »

The oil companies set the price according to the market which they do not control. If oil company A's cost to buy and refine gasoline is 1.00 per gallon and they decide to sell it at the market for 2.50, oil company B which has similar costs will come along and sell it for 2.00. Thus, people will flock to company B to buy gasoline instead of A. If A wishes to stay in business, they will have to lower their price to compete with A.

That's the way that free markets work. If A and B were to agree to sell it for 2.50 so that they can both profit more, that would be collusion/ price fixing and would be highly illegal. Yet another aspect of pure capitalism which failed miserably in the early 1900s and had to be reformed by the Sherman Anti-Trust Act once again proving that pure capitalism is as flawed as pure communism. Let's hear it for that goofball John McCain!

• Senatore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 06:33:57 AM »

Well, you shouldnt be surprised the way the prices were going up as we chronicled in that FC gas thread. Im sure a lot of people were thinking that it was just going to keep rising and now maybe the opposite - that it will keep falling or stay this low. All it takes is a major terrorist attack to send it back through the roof and there are enough warnings about a subway/train attack again this holiday season. I think right around now would be a good time to sign up for that program.

OH! you know what i noticed lately? THB's 10 cent rule doesn't seem to apply half as much any more! i noticed that all three price grades are erratically scattered about more often than not. i'll have to try to remember to take a pic at the pump next time i fill up.

did you see that asshole andy rooney on the sunday before last (i think)? he was boasting about filling half his tank with premium and the other half with regular to make super and save himself 6 cents or something equally as asinine! i cant find the clip, but this one is just as annoying  :rotf: :rotf:

i really dislike this guy!!!  :lol:

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 216
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:19:28 AM »

They bought into what was effectivley a "futures" or "Forwards" contract no different than playing the derivertives market.

They gambled and lost thats tough. The time to sign up is whne the market is artificially low, like now, not when the markets ballooning.

Why do you think these companies offer(or advertise) lockins when the price is high? It gives them a virtual win/win position.

Wait to the recession bottoms out, thats the time to buy into shit. Not understanding markets makes people poor. Crying about it makes em stooopid!

Persephone

• Turboslut
  • Legatus
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.Persephone makes good points.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The Death Penalty
  • Sex and Candy
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 09:03:47 AM »

I love people, I really do. It never ceases to amaze me how they throw themselves around on the floor in a tantrum when a "deal" doesn't go their way.  :sad:
And I'll dance with you in Vienna, I'll be wearing a river's disguise. The hyacinth wild on my shoulder, my mouth on the dew of your thighs. And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook, with the photographs there, and the moths and I'll yield to the flood of your beauty my cheap violin and my cross.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 12:53:13 PM »

I remember all you Yanks getting into a bit of a tizz over the petrol prices but this shows that it threw you'all into blind panicking insane pandemonium  :rotf:

Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 01:00:29 PM »

That's BS. It's like buying a box of cheerios and wanting money back when you see it go on sale a week later. Already been said here, but that's the chance you take when you decide to opt for a fixed rate.

Fixed rate mortgage not fixed rate gas! Geez! lol (kidding)

THE BRA1N

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »

That's BS. It's like buying a box of cheerios and wanting money back when you see it go on sale a week later.

Hehe, well put. I dont get the Rooney video, it appears to be the first and last few seconds of his tripe edited together with the bulk of the rest omitted. Probably for the better. I dont have any explanation why that old coot is still on tv.

• Senatore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »

I dont get the Rooney video, it appears to be the first and last few seconds of his tripe edited together with the bulk of the rest omitted. Probably for the better. I dont have any explanation why that old coot is still on tv.

editing out all his blather was supposed to be the funniest part i guess. the rant where he spoke about mixing fuel to save a few cents was during that bit, i can't find it tho. i nearly wet myself when he explained how he mixed the two fuels and there was even a math example flashed up on the screen and he was all giddy about the pennies he saved!  :vc: i swear they let him put those together just so we can laugh at how pathetic he is!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 2.43 seconds with 37 queries.