ThirdRailForum

• July 20, 2018, 11:50:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annihilation  (Read 148 times)

plus minus reset

MechaTopic starter

• Censor
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.Mecha knows what they are talking about.
  • Awards: 100 Reply Thread - Why does nobody ever mention that..
Annihilation
« on: March 02, 2018, 01:44:00 AM »

I just saw this movie and I'm instantly obsessed by it. I highly recommend it to anyone that isn't a dumbdumb. So many layers to this even beyond the sights and sounds that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

It's too much to say it might be the next 2001 A Space Odyssey, but I'd say if there ever is such a thing, this would be a contender.

Trump impersonations are redundant

Damage.INC

• Killing them all
  • Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Sinister and Feral go fishing500 Replies - Top 10 Flamers/Trolls of all time-2018300 Replies - Top 10 Flamers/Trolls of all time-2018200 Replies - Top 10 Flamers/Trolls of all time-2018100 Replies - Top 10 Flamers/Trolls of all time-2018 100 Replies - Flea, yuo truly are an asskissing pathetic cunt500 Replies - Question for JooDog300 Replies - Question for JooDog200 Replies - Question for JooDog100 Replies - Question for JooDog300 Replies - Why wont the admin at Pissed-off forums..200 Replies - Why wont the admin at Pissed-off forums..100 Replies - Why wont the admin at Pissed-off forums..
  • I will fucking destroy yuo
Re: Annihilation
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:05:39 AM »

I just saw this movie and I'm instantly obsessed by it. I highly recommend it to anyone that isn't a dumbdumb. So many layers to this even beyond the sights and sounds that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

It's too much to say it might be the next 2001 A Space Odyssey, but I'd say if there ever is such a thing, this would be a contender.

I would suggest reading the book first. I forget who the author is, but from what I remember I do believe the books are a trilogy.

your Lord and Master

• and don't you ever forget it
  • Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • your Lord and Master embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Banned!
  • Awards: 100 Replies - MESSAGE FOR THE MOR0N200 Replies - On this day in history100 Replies - On this day in history
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:47:34 PM »

I haven't read the book(s), though I did watch the movie around a month ago and finding myself particularly unimpressed on a number of unexplained incongruities. Like an alien which apparently mirrors its prey's actions up to and including unconsciousness when its prey is knocked out, yet breaks character to keep doors closed and hold grenades. The mouthy latrina had me rolling my eyes in disgust, the special effects were nothing to write home about and reminded me of the same level of cheese they was employed in Altered States and the whole bit about the duplicated boyfriends was riddled with continuity errors. Overall the acting seemed flat and the direction sloppy in the extreme.

I give the movie half a star out of five and sincerely hope the books did a better job of telling the story than this cinematographic abortion.
Speaking of being full of shit, you're the main fanboi idiot who droned on here ad nauseam fervently making the case that Trump would win the election. You should stop reading your own worthless drivel considering your incredibly consistent penchant for not knowing what the fuck you are talking about and being proven wrong.

Damage.INC

• Killing them all
  • Senatore
  • Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.Damage.INC is one of the better posters here.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Sinister and Feral go fishing500 Replies - Top 10 Flamers/Trolls of all time-2018300 Replies - Top 10 Flamers/Trolls of all time-2018200 Replies - Top 10 Flamers/Trolls of all time-2018100 Replies - Top 10 Flamers/Trolls of all time-2018 100 Replies - Flea, yuo truly are an asskissing pathetic cunt500 Replies - Question for JooDog300 Replies - Question for JooDog200 Replies - Question for JooDog100 Replies - Question for JooDog300 Replies - Why wont the admin at Pissed-off forums..200 Replies - Why wont the admin at Pissed-off forums..100 Replies - Why wont the admin at Pissed-off forums..
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:27:38 PM »

I haven't read the book(s), though I did watch the movie around a month ago and finding myself particularly unimpressed on a number of unexplained incongruities. Like an alien which apparently mirrors its prey's actions up to and including unconsciousness when its prey is knocked out, yet breaks character to keep doors closed and hold grenades. The mouthy latrina had me rolling my eyes in disgust, the special effects were nothing to write home about and reminded me of the same level of cheese they was employed in Altered States and the whole bit about the duplicated boyfriends was riddled with continuity errors. Overall the acting seemed flat and the direction sloppy in the extreme.

I give the movie half a star out of five and sincerely hope the books did a better job of telling the story than this cinematographic abortion.

Jeff Vandermeer is the author of the Southern Reach Trilogy.  I believe Annihilation is the first book.

I have mixed reviews about the movie. I thought Natalie Portmans character was portrayed in the right light. After her husband leaves for a top secret mission to investigate the shimmer, himself and his team disappear for almost a year. Portmans angst and uncertainty about her husband is successfully highlighted in her acting.

I thought the special effects were kept to a bare minimum as this wasn't a shootem' up action movie per say, though there were some scenes with guns blazing. I believe this movie was meant to be a contemporary thriller,  with undertones of science fiction and fantasy. My favorite scene is the when the giant bear sneaks through the fence and drags one of Natalie Portmans team members out of the perimeter, to what we can only assume to her death. In that scene the audience sees none of this, relying only on the sound effects of the movie.

I really liked Natalie Portmans portrayal of her tough as nails character, looking for an answer to her husbands death. She was gritty, strong, and open-minded to what her and her team encountered in the shimmer.

With that being said....

I thought Jennifer Jason Leighs character was flat and boring. It's such a shame as Leigh is one of my favorite actresses. Though,  I can't hold her 100% responsible, I also blame the scriptwriter. Leighs character is supposed to be the head of the team,  but in the later stages of the movie her character begins to unravel like a ball of string,  making the audience look more to Portmans character.

I really was underwhelmed with the "ending", but I expected that because it's being billed as a trilogy. Overall the movie left more questions than answers. The casting of actresses was made to attract a larger female base as strong female protagonists are quite popular now days. The movie itself was sub-par at best, a little boring if I say so myself.

I may or may not read the books, as after seeing the movie,  I have a feeling the books will be more cerebral much like the book to movie "Arrival".

your Lord and Master

• Senatore
  • Banned!
  • Awards: 100 Replies - MESSAGE FOR THE MOR0N200 Replies - On this day in history100 Replies - On this day in history
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »

"I believe this movie was meant to be a contemporary thriller"

I wasn't particularly thrilled. Had they been more effective at building suspense this might have been different, but really the closest I came to "being on the edge of my seat" was when the bear returned and was roaming about the three tied up women and only because it was a bigass bear against three people who were incapable of flight. The potential was there to really ramp the suspense and thriller aspect up, particularly given that it had supposedly taken on enough of its previous "meal" to use it to hunt the remainder of the party, but sadly this was absent.

If there is to be a part two and three then I sincerely hope they do better. I had anticipated something much superior based on the trailer that I saw and was disappointed.
Speaking of being full of shit, you're the main fanboi idiot who droned on here ad nauseam fervently making the case that Trump would win the election. You should stop reading your own worthless drivel considering your incredibly consistent penchant for not knowing what the fuck you are talking about and being proven wrong.

Damage.INC

• Killing them all
  • Senatore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:23:36 PM »

I wasn't particularly thrilled. Had they been more effective at building suspense this might have been different, but really the closest I came to "being on the edge of my seat" was when the bear returned and was roaming about the three tied up women and only because it was a bigass bear against three people who were incapable of flight. The potential was there to really ramp the suspense and thriller aspect up, particularly given that it had supposedly taken on enough of its previous "meal" to use it to hunt the remainder of the party, but sadly this was absent.

If there is to be a part two and three then I sincerely hope they do better. I had anticipated something much superior based on the trailer that I saw and was disappointed.

I agree with you in regards to when the "possessed" bear comes into the room,  that might be the most "thrilling" and most chaotic scene of the movie along with the alligator by the water bit.

As you said,  if the director or producer or screenwriter could have built up the suspense to a crashing crescendo, and fluidly dotted them throughout the entire movie, I believe like yourself that this would have been a better movie and more of a success at the box office.

Hopefully,  in future installments this trilogy will improve.Thank god, the writer didn't preface this movie with America being a dystopian society.

your Lord and Master

• Senatore
  • Banned!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:17:29 AM »

I suspect Hollywood's ability to turn a decent movie is going to be significantly debilitated due to the whole #metoo shitshow of the past few months. While it can be argued that the movie industry was long overdue for a clean up in terms of its behavioural mores, it is perhaps proper to note that in terms of entertainment the real stars are the ones with glaring deficits in what "normal people" might consider "acceptable behaviour". It therefore follows that the blacklisting of the more abhorrent examples that have been made in recent months has depleted the ranks of some otherwise stellar talent and the sanitised schmaltz we are left with is the legacy bequeathed to the moviegoing public.

We need a fresh crop of weirdos with a few skeletons in the closet. Maybe some Ronald Reagan types jerking off into pot plants in front of chimpanzees is in order; with Hollyweird's penchant for reboots, perhaps they might have some success updating movies like "Bedtime for Bonzo" et al.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.833 seconds with 36 queries.