ThirdRailForum

• June 23, 2018, 06:13:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUND FORGE Pro 11  (Read 209 times)

plus minus reset

TheProwlerTopic starter

• Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 104
  • TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Myself
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Trip to Boston100 Replies - Every 5 years..100 Replies - Is this PI?500 Replies - Who dumped whom?300 Replies - Who dumped whom?200 Replies - Who dumped whom?100 Replies - Who dumped whom?100 Replies - True Love100 Replies - CTS with a 3.6 litre engine100 Reply Thread - Guess who this is!100 Reply Thread - Hey, I gotta get to sleep!100 Reply Thread - So, the Holidays are Almost Here!100 Reply Thread - So...when a troll fails100 Reply Thread - Fat Danny Bailed100 Reply Thread - Jam Session Today100 Reply Thread - Ask The Expert: flea200 Reply Thread - flea.s Husband Left Her100 Reply Thread - flea's Husband Left Her100 Reply Thread - Going on another Western Carribean Cruise100 Reply Thread - Alberta100 Reply Thread - Vicious Rumour - The Tongue100 Reply Thread - Street Fight Fuckfest100 Reply Thread - Vicious Rumour - Two Heads100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is ruining..100 Reply Thread - Cosmic Outpost - Censorship Capital..100 Reply Thread - My dog got sprayed by a..
SOUND FORGE Pro 11
« on: March 07, 2018, 12:54:56 AM »

Is that long-haired guy that was stalking flea still around here?

Could someone ask him to pop in here and let me know if he knows if this software is a good option to do some recording and mixing of music at home?

The Official Cosmic Outpost Ambassador to The Third Rail Forum

Treat me right, or Cosmic Outpost will crush this site.

da scrotum wot teabags ya

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • da scrotum wot teabags ya embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
Re: SOUND FORGE Pro 11
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:21:25 AM »

Obvious troll is obvious.
Oh lookie... women with smaller titties than Siouxsie Sioux.... better get a cum wrangler in here to tell us how MANLY they look....  :snick:

TheProwlerTopic starter

• Dictator
  • TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.TheProwler has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Trip to Boston100 Replies - Every 5 years..100 Replies - Is this PI?500 Replies - Who dumped whom?300 Replies - Who dumped whom?200 Replies - Who dumped whom?100 Replies - Who dumped whom?100 Replies - True Love100 Replies - CTS with a 3.6 litre engine100 Reply Thread - Guess who this is!100 Reply Thread - Hey, I gotta get to sleep!100 Reply Thread - So, the Holidays are Almost Here!100 Reply Thread - So...when a troll fails100 Reply Thread - Fat Danny Bailed100 Reply Thread - Jam Session Today100 Reply Thread - Ask The Expert: flea200 Reply Thread - flea.s Husband Left Her100 Reply Thread - flea's Husband Left Her100 Reply Thread - Going on another Western Carribean Cruise100 Reply Thread - Alberta100 Reply Thread - Vicious Rumour - The Tongue100 Reply Thread - Street Fight Fuckfest100 Reply Thread - Vicious Rumour - Two Heads100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is ruining..100 Reply Thread - Cosmic Outpost - Censorship Capital..100 Reply Thread - My dog got sprayed by a..
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 02:22:31 PM »

Obvious troll is obvious.

Haha!!

Nope.  I have no knowledge of this software, and very little about recording/mixing/producing music.  I've recorded jam sessions, party gigs, and open mics with my little Zoom handheld recorder just for my own use/memories.  But I've never tried to record anything where I can mix it and produce it to sound like a clean studio version of a song.  I've never even messed around with those little 4 track Tascam recorders in the 80's.

I don't even know how to interface between my instruments and the computer.  Do I need a special sound card?

This is why I'm asking right now:  https://www.humblebundle.com/software/magix-sounds-of-music-software?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_1

I can just spend $30 and give it (and a bunch of other software) a try, but I thought I would ask you to know if there are a lot more things I'd need to buy or consider.

• Senatore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:19:18 PM »

Haha!!

Nope.

This...

Is that long-haired guy that was stalking flea still around here?

...is why your troll is obvious. To all here in fact.

And this is before I bother to remember the nature of the business you and your wife run. Not interested in playing your games, son.

I have no knowledge of this software, and very little about recording/mixing/producing music.  I've recorded jam sessions, party gigs, and open mics with my little Zoom handheld recorder just for my own use/memories.  But I've never tried to record anything where I can mix it and produce it to sound like a clean studio version of a song.  I've never even messed around with those little 4 track Tascam recorders in the 80's.

I don't even know how to interface between my instruments and the computer.  Do I need a special sound card?

This is why I'm asking right now:  https://www.humblebundle.com/software/magix-sounds-of-music-software?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_1

I can just spend $30 and give it (and a bunch of other software) a try, but I thought I would ask you to know if there are a lot more things I'd need to buy or consider.

Stiff. Go Google the answer or go fuck yourself.
Oh lookie... women with smaller titties than Siouxsie Sioux.... better get a cum wrangler in here to tell us how MANLY they look....  :snick:

TheProwlerTopic starter

• Dictator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 04:15:18 AM »

Holy cow, that was a severe over-reaction!!!

Hahahahahahaha!!!

No hard feelings?   :rotflmao:

• Senatore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »

None whatsoever here. :snack:

TheProwlerTopic starter

• Dictator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 01:40:01 PM »

I went ahead and bought it.

$40.01 CDN with the exchange rate.

Over $1100 USD of legit software for under fifty bucks.

I love a deal.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!

• Senatore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »

I'm not surprised they're that desperate to take what they can get for it.

Let's see how long it takes for you to figure out why.

TheProwlerTopic starter

• Dictator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »

Just about every review I`ve seen gives 5 out of 5 stars, so we`ll see.

Shit, here`s a list of the Top 20 DAWs out there at the end of 2017 and 2 of them are in this bundle!   :yay:

I`m thinking of picking up a Shure MVI-LTG Portable Digital Audio Recording Interface tomorrow....just to get started.

I have way too many hobbies.

• Senatore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:00:19 AM »

Just about every review I`ve seen gives 5 out of 5 stars, so we`ll see.
I've already seen. So did Sony, who found it so not worth their while to maintain, much less develop, that they sold it to Magix in 2016 along with a large share of the rest of their similarly underperforming software. Five stars or no five stars (and I've yet to see it listed in a 2018 comparison at all), a $40 dollar license fee for software that not so long ago would have cost you a four figure sum ought to have told you something. Clearly it did not, nor did even the most cursory of Google searches reveal to you what even the novices of Flametown have known for years; that there is free software for the asking that will do the exact same job that you have indicated you are embarking upon.

You'd have been better served downloading one of those and blowing your 40 quid on a cheapie second hand 8 channel sound card off Kijiji. The last time I saw Sound Forge being used in a professional capacity was in the early 2000's, though I've demoed a few of the more recent releases in the interim just on the offchance I might be handballed some project that requires a working knowledge of it. I'm not expecting it any time soon though; there are literally dozens of other DAW's I am more likely to encounter by virtue of finishing off other peoples projects and for my money, more intuitive, scaleable and flexible into the bargain.

* da scrotum wot teabags ya shrugs

I'm sure you will be back to extoll the virtues of your white elephant; well and good for you if you do, but I've been screwing about with studio related equipment for over 40 years now, 25 of those incorporating digital equipment and figure I've a far better working knowledge of the field than some hillbilly computer tech/salesman who apparently doesn't know enough to do what I would consider even the most cursory of background homework before he went out and blew his dough. Maybe you really are that stupid; my sincerest condolences to you and your wife if you are, but from your opening comment I am inclined to think otherwise. As indicated earlier, I find it hard to believe that someone who spends as much time as you do in and around computers would not have at least made the attempt to approach any of the more recognised forums that professional and domestic conduct such discourse as what you are pretending to seek here.

TheProwlerTopic starter

• Dictator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 01:51:41 AM »

Hahahaha!!

Magix are still selling the software for four figures.  They are coming out with a new version in 2018, so they probably want people to try out this version and hopefully some of them with buy the new version when it comes out.

That's the beauty of Humble Bundle.  I got game bundles there with $200, $300, $400 worth of top rated games for as low as a couple of dollars.

Here's an example...if you cough-up and whole dollar, you get 3 games that are selling on Steam right now for over $45.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/brawler-bundle?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_3

They aren't my kind of games, so I won't be buying that, but for people who are into those kinds of games, it's a great deal.

One of the problems with free software is that nobody is really accountable.  Plus, the most complex functionality will use algorithms that will be difficult to develop, and the guys making the free software just don't have enough incentive (and/or talent) to put in the work to get it done.  There are many highly talented developers like me who will not contribute to open source software because programming is our profession and we will not work for free.

I've been using some free CAD/3D Modelling software lately for a small personal project.  There's a design edit that I have to do every once in a while in a pretty manual way.  I looked at some forums talking about it and all the "free software" people just say to do what I have been doing, or they suggest a technique (that I already thought of and used with earlier prototypes) that is quicker, but is flawed for more complex models.  But I've already been formulating an algorithm to perform this functionality, so I know it is something that could be programmed and therefore should be in professional software.  I looked it up and it is a simple function in Autocad.  A couple of clicks and it is done.  How much is an Autocad subscription?  CDN$1,915.00 /year.

Free software is free for a reason.

• Senatore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 03:23:11 AM »

Hahahaha!!

Magix are still selling the software for four figures.  They are coming out with a new version in 2018, so they probably want people to try out this version and hopefully some of them with buy the new version when it comes out.
The key word being "hopefully". Sony found their pigeon 18 months ago, that pigeon is currently selling licenses at a loss to other pigeons. It's only a matter of time before Magix is looking to divest themselves of the responsibility of maintaining it, more than likely by rendering it abandonware.

Version 12 is already out by the way, albeit in beta. I'm not excited by what I've seen of it and don't anticipate an imminent need for purchase.

Here's an example...if you cough-up and whole dollar, you get 3 games that are selling on Steam right now for over $45. They aren't my kind of games, so I won't be buying that, but for people who are into those kinds of games, it's a great deal.
Well I guess that rules both of us out, doesn't it. The difference being that you are more likely to throw money at it to find that out for yourself... the hard way.

One of the problems with free software is that nobody is really accountable.  Plus, the most complex functionality will use algorithms that will be difficult to develop, and the guys making the free software just don't have enough incentive (and/or talent) to put in the work to get it done.  There are many highly talented developers like me who will not contribute to open source software because programming is our profession and we will not work for free.
None of which really applies to the topic of which DAW is going to do the job you want it to since pretty much anything capable of recording multiple wave files is going to do the exact same job at the tracking stage (ie: capturing data from a soundcard and writing it bit perfect to a hard drive) and pretty much anything capable of looking at a VST directory will serve you for anything from the most basic of audio processing to the most advanced.

Plenty of free DAW's offer that essential feature set which Magix expects you to pay for; indeed I can think of two off the top of my head which offer features that Sound Forge does not and which would prove most useful to a novice hell bent on getting their feet wet in the world of recording.

Free software is free for a reason.
Mmmmm, and unless you are planning on setting up a high end or even a project studio to attract the Alan Parsons and Quincy Joneses of this world, such reasons which might apply simply do not in your case. You haven't even bought a sound card yet and the one you've earmarked to put your hard earned cash down on is manufactured by a crew who isn't exactly known for them. I doubt you'd know the first thing about accoustically treating a control room, the notion of accousticly flat/neutral monitoring likely escapes you, as would microphone selection and placement. From previous discussions you've given me to understand your hearing is largely untrained anyway, you couldn't A/B/X a set of interconnects to save yourself then and everything you've told me here confirms your deficiencies. Above all, you appear to have completely missed the most fundamental rule of recording which is this: unless you are a George Martin getting paid top dollar to find new and inventive ways of butchering some mop top's performance in new and exciting ways, the less you do to the performance you've captured, the better.

All in all, a basic system is what you're best served by. Less confusing for you, less to learn, more time to do the actual musicianship. Buying software simply based on the name attached to it smacks very much of the sort of attitude we saw in Japan (or was it China) when more copies of Windows 95 were being sold in the wake of its launch than people had computers. "Because is Best".

Except we all know what a dog of an operating system that was. In that respect alone Sound Forge is no different. Caskur your way through this thread all you like, in the end you're only shooting yourself in the foot by throwing good money after bad.

TheProwlerTopic starter

• Dictator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »

It'll be so funny when you buy my album.

• Senatore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 10:26:46 PM »

There's only two reasons I buy an album.

• The production and engineering values interest me enough to give it a close listen
  • Supporting local artists

Pretty sure you're in no immediate danger of satisfying either requirement.

cw

• > you
  • Global Moderator
  • cw embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Match the member to the smiley500 Replies - This is yuo300 Replies - This is yuo300 Replies - Freuds Dick200 Replies - Freuds Dick100 Replies - Freuds Dick200 Replies - This is yuo100 Replies - This is yuo
    • Flame Truth
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 11:10:01 PM »

Thumbs Up:
Excellent De-Clipper
 Automatically adjusts the sample rate for playback to one that your soundcard can support when you are using an ASIO device.

Thumbs Down:
No multitrack capabilities

• Senatore
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 12:23:44 AM »

You know, I recently had to restore some seriously clipped vocal channels from a multitrack session of a live recording. Sounded.... foul. There's really no other way of classing it. Someone had fucked up on the capture and it was my task to drag it kicking and screaming back to something approaching a set of natural sounding vocals.

Now ordinarily, if it were a studio recording, I'd just re-record the affected takes, but this was from a live performance and the vocal monitors had bled into a number of the other stage mics. Re-recording the lead and backing vocals was therefore not an option, I needed to restore the integrity of what was already there and I figured I'd put the declipper of my copy of iZotope RX-6 through its paces to see if it mightn't reduce my workload on this particular project.

It handled the entire three hour performance without so much as a hiccup on all three vocal lines with more or less the default settings. I don't mind telling you, I was impressed. I really thought I was in for an extended stint of mangulating the channels syllable by syllable, but RX-6 pulled workable takes out or the fuzz with no muss and no fuss. I wont pretend the end result was as pristine as takes that had never suffered that level of extreme clipping in the first place, but it was damn close and the client was extremely grateful for the result. Two or three days worth of work nailed in under 40 minutes.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/repair-and-edit/rx.html

Well worth the scratch. A stand alone editor which also has a variety of other plugins aimed at repair and restoration of damaged audio (its vinyl restoration alone cannot be beat for the price) and plays nice with DAWs that enjoy VST, VST3 and RTAS support.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 35 queries.