• October 18, 2018, 08:03:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY TRF!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bullshit Jobs  (Read 77 times)

plus minus reset

MechaTopic starter

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.
  • Awards: 100 Reply Thread - Why does nobody ever mention that..
Bullshit Jobs
« on: May 25, 2018, 02:09:21 AM »

This book floored me. I knew it was a thing but this book has its number. A lot of people I know admit they are in this situation.
This is why some people get angry when teachers demand living wages, because in some insane mental gymnastics, a meaningful job should be its own reward while people loafing around in a useless bureaucracy deserve a reward. This is why I see so many murican version of the salaryman with a 1000 year stare. This is why middle office managers have the same plastic expression on their faces.

https://www.amazon.com/Bullshit-Jobs-Theory-David-Graeber/dp/150114331X

Trump impersonations are redundant

your Lord and Master

• and don't you ever forget it
  • Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • your Lord and Master embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Banned!
  • Awards: 100 Replies - MESSAGE FOR THE MOR0N200 Replies - On this day in history100 Replies - On this day in history
Re: Bullshit Jobs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:54:08 AM »

I believe Don Kwijibo already posted the essay they book is based on; at least I remember reading something similar a few years ago. Much of the "meaningless jobs" were created to keep an increasing population busy, so in that sense they are not entirely meaningless until you consider that a rethink of the status quo could very well result in ten hour working weeks (or less) with the same kind of real value in the paychecks at the end of it.

This would floor a lot of people, having so much more disposable time. Most people here have been conditioned into the belief that it's not a decent job until you're busting your arse just to remain in the same place. Stepping outside of that equation and finding something that is not only personally fulfilling, but which also enriches the lives of those around you is a hard thing to do if you don't know it can be done. This book (if it holds true to the original essay I read) is as good a place as any to start from, but only for those who are ready for the consequences of such an act.

It is sad to recognise that for most, this would prove a wasted effort.
Speaking of being full of shit, you're the main fanboi idiot who droned on here ad nauseam fervently making the case that Trump would win the election. You should stop reading your own worthless drivel considering your incredibly consistent penchant for not knowing what the fuck you are talking about and being proven wrong.

The Mrs

• tamám shud..
  • Dictator
  • The Mrs embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Whats your story?100 Replies - Whats your story?100 Replies - Oi caskur...200 Replies - H.C.Trouble..100 Replies - H.C.Trouble..200 Replies - Why did flea retire...100 Replies - Why did flea retire...200 Replies - Who is TRs favourite Scapegoat?100 Replies - Who is TRs favourite Scapegoat?100 Replies - Bra1n..in case you were not aware..100 Replies - Why was flea banned?
  • #unbotheredbitch
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 07:03:41 AM »

Does your job make a meaningful contribution to the world? In the spring of 2013, David Graeber asked this question in a playful, provocative essay titled “On the Phenomenon of Bullshit Jobs.” It went viral. After a million online views in seventeen different languages, people all over the world are still debating the answer.

I agree that any one who is not doing what they consider to be their ideal job, is in a bullshit job.

And there are millions of people in that situation.

It's a minority who find their ideal job and are happy in it.

However, I also disagree that people being employed in bullshit jobs are wasting their life. If bullshit jobs didn't exist there would be more unemployment and more stress on the government and tax payer with providing welfare.

MechaTopic starter

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.Mecha is one of the better posters here.
  • Awards: 100 Reply Thread - Why does nobody ever mention that..
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 02:33:33 PM »

However, I also disagree that people being employed in bullshit jobs are wasting their life. If bullshit jobs didn't exist there would be more unemployment and more stress on the government and tax payer with providing welfare.

The subject goes beyond the self-actualization of the individuals involved. For example, one thing the book mentions is that aggression and conflict ramp up when people in a work field realize their job is meaningless, compared to a job that people understand to be helpful and valuable, where there tends to be more harmony and cooperation for the sake of achieving goals. Bullshit jobs also breed uncertainty, when the participants are constantly worried that someone will figure out their job is unnecessary, which only builds more aggression. (This is the cornerstone of 'they dook r jerbs' effect).

Another opposing implication is that resources are a zero-sum game, including human resources. When you pour people into basically adult daycare centers, it means a lot of other spots that would be helpful are not being filled. That ends up resulting in a lot of essential "caretaker" jobs being erroneously bureaucratized (as in, more paperwork than actual work), and the cost of that industry ballooning, creating a rolling inflation and reduced standards of living. Healthcare in the US is the poster child of this phenomenon.

Trump impersonations are redundant

The Mrs

• tamám shud..
  • Dictator
  • The Mrs embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Whats your story?100 Replies - Whats your story?100 Replies - Oi caskur...200 Replies - H.C.Trouble..100 Replies - H.C.Trouble..200 Replies - Why did flea retire...100 Replies - Why did flea retire...200 Replies - Who is TRs favourite Scapegoat?100 Replies - Who is TRs favourite Scapegoat?100 Replies - Bra1n..in case you were not aware..100 Replies - Why was flea banned?
  • #unbotheredbitch
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »

The subject goes beyond the self-actualization of the individuals involved. For example, one thing the book mentions is that aggression and conflict ramp up when people in a work field realize their job is meaningless, compared to a job that people understand to be helpful and valuable, where there tends to be more harmony and cooperation for the sake of achieving goals.

To be honest, Im not understanding the conflict...

If one is not happy in their current position then they apply for a different position..

If one feels they are not achieving the goals they want to achieve, then apply for another position in that company or look for another job..

I'm in a corporate work environment, and yeh people get frustrated with their job ( as I have ) but it is what it is.  It's a job and it pays the bills and I'm fairly certain the majority of all people around the world think the same way.

Maybe this book is more for people who are seeking to have a career in a company or a field in which they feel passionate about?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 36 queries.