ThirdRailForum

• April 19, 2018, 10:47:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk 401K's  (Read 448 times)

plus minus reset

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
Let's talk 401K's
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:38 PM »

Let's talk real money for a change in this section, eh?

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp when it comes to this shit. As a matter of fact when my company first offered this benefit some years ago, I pretty much just threw a dart at what type of funds that I chose to invest my savings in.

My company doesnt do much as far as matching goes, 3% of salary, max.  I know from what I've read that I should be putting away a min of 10% of my salary....probably could do that, but it would cut into my fun money a bit. So right now I'm at 7%.

So, in looking at my #'s for the year, which is about to come to a close, my rate of return is at 12.5%...which from what I've read on the interwobble isnt bad at all. The problem is, is that the shit I'm reading is kind of dated...so I really dont know if that's a decent rate of return or not.

During this year I've moved some monies from a conservative fund, to a more risky one, and it's paid off fairly well for me....just not sure whether to continue to move a bit more into that, or stay where I'm at and be satisfied with my current rate of return, and hope it stays steady, or rises.

Is 12.5% pretty solid?

On the plus side, my rate of return is 42.5% since my company first offered this benefit :whig:

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
  • Dyslexics Against Fishism
Re: Let's talk 401K's
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 06:17:50 PM »

Anything above 10% is mighty fine and don't let any cunt tell you anything different.  My advice would be if you havent got much of a scooby about markets or can't be arsed with tracking and regularly switching funds, or if the switch fee is high, stick it all in a fire and forget managed fund.  That will give you a balanced spead of investments which will mean less risk but a lower return.  Or you could play Gordon Gecko like I've done with my pension fund and slap it in higher risk specific funds like a Far Eastern fund where I got fucked up during the Tiger economies meltdown but she's rallied like a beauty since.

A lot obviously depends on the choice of funds that you have but the simple rule is..the more specific or narrow the fund type is the higher risk but possibly greater rewards.  Good fucking luck George Soros  :wheelchair:
Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened
"You made three spelling mistakes"

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
  • thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.thekid65 has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 2012 Fantasy Football Champ100+ Reply Thread - Honestly, who here has a problem being scanned?100+ Reply Thread -   	 Somebody please explain why the Obama administration
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »

Appreciate the advice, bro...my plan offers about 20 or so funds I can invest in...right now I'm only in two. The fees arent too bad, unless you're constantly switching back and forth..if you let shit sit for 90 days, there is no fee. I guess where I struggle is..I look at all these different funds, click on them, and see a bunch of #'s and past histories, and projected rates of returns over numerous time periods...and man,,,it's just fucking confusing.

I kinda thought 12.5% for the year was cool, but wasnt sure.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
  • deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.deBauch has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Eddie Snowden trolls..100+ Reply Thread - Syria....100+ Reply Thread - Frack You100+ Reply Thread -The New York mosque thing100+ Reply Thread - Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:51:25 AM »

20...nice, thats a plenty.

Therefore what you should have, for example, is a Managed Fund, Fixed Interest Fund (govt guilts etc), Property Fund, American Fund, Far Eastern Growth etc etc so another solid piece of advice I could give you if you have that degree of choice is to go for a spread investment.....

75% "Safe" - Managed Fund/Fixed Interest

15% "Moderate" - Property Fund (used to be in safe lmfao)

10% "Risky" - Emerging Markets type funds

You can fuck around with the percentages as much as you want but you'll see the general investment style/philosophy.  The thing is, it does or can pay big time to take an interest.  I only worked for the man for 10 years in the City of London but by wheeling and dealing with my fund and taking a proper interest I've now got the same sized pension fund as if I'd worked there for 30 years.  I've been lucky / used my knowledge and taken some ridiculous risks but even if you take more than a passing interest in your investment you should be able to make up for the input shortfall that you mentioned in your OP.
Quote from: Marquis deBlois after reading his death sentence before being guilloteened

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »

I totally understand the philosophy that you're writing. I guess what I'm struggling  with is how to know which is which? Here's a cap of what I'm presented with on my 401K investment choice page (cant get them all in there, I guess theres about 30 or so.

Clickity-click-click-click

So lets say I click on one of those funds to learn more about it, here's what I see (theres a lot more info than what I can get in a cap)...but nothing really addresses risk and the like (other that the typical disclaimer)

Clickity-click-click-click

I dunno the fucking difference between a Small/Mid/Large cap fund...fuck, I dunno what the hell "cap" means in regards to funds. I'm tellin ya, I'm pretty fucking stupid when it comes to this shit. I dont want you to have to explain everything to me, do you know of a good, basic, tutorial website I can go to in order to learn? I guess the older I get, the more I really need to understand this shit.

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:11:12 PM »

Smal cap or large cap this side of the water refers to the market capitalisation of a company or how many shares are in the market or basically whether its a big or small company.  UKside we also have rules about the amount of shares that big institutions like pension funds can buy in small cap companies but that may be different Stateside.

OK, you say you're "stupid" about this kind of shit..thats because you've never been arsed or havent had the passion to get stuck into it.  Its no fucking different to playing Fantasy Football dude..its all about knowing your stats, judging the future performance based on past indicators, getting a good balance at times and taking a risk at others, using as much inside or read up upon info as you can get your hands on and at the end of the day..its all a fucking gamble and in the lap of the Gods.

thekid65Topic starter

• Imperator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »

lol...when I made that last post, I was gonna say "I should put the same effort into this shit as I do my FF leagues".  :tard:

deBauch

• Textual Interahamwe
  • Dictator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »

Yeah well. looks like you've now got a rocket up your arse having found your first grey pube or whatever the fuck it is thats made you think of endless golf days and false teeth.

Gotta say though mate, that shit that they give you is about as comprehensible as Stephen Hawking in a wind tunnel   :uhuh:

WTF is a "Freedom Fund" ?!?  Don't tell me they're raising funds Stateside for another invasion  :confused:

Anyway, I've got years of experience with all that bollocks so just PM me with any shit you need advice on
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 33 queries.