ThirdRailForum

• August 20, 2018, 03:13:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Should We Ditch the Shoutbox?  (Read 2408 times)

plus minus reset

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
Re: Should We Ditch the Shoutbox?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure when the forum was logging me off all the time, I couldn't see the SB when I wasn't logged in. I'll try it out in a minute. I'm voting keep it. I rarely have time to sit in a chat room and have a conversation, but have a couple minutes here and there and like checking it out in between reading threads. Chat rooms are obsolete imo. I need to be doing something else besides waiting for a response from people.

Fipronila

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.Fipronila makes good points.
  • Fan of: your mom
  • Awards: 2012 Death Pool Winner
  • Your Mom
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »

I just tested it and logged out, there is no shout box.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• learning Finnish
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 320
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Attn caskurt500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »

What i gather from this is the following:

1. The SB turns off new posters who may sign up and view such material as "you're a fag/nigger/I want to pork cardy". To this end, I have changed the settings to where you now need 25 posts to view the shoutbox.

2. The SB negatively impacts posting. To this end, the SB hours of operation will be changed in the near future from open 24/7 to open on certain days and times. Details to be determined based on feedback.

3. The SB content needs to improve and should not be extended conversations. I agree with the former and will encourage mods to more actively prune shouts which offend sensibilities and generally serve no conversational purpose. Repeat offenders may be temp banned.

On the other hand, if SB users are carrying on an engaging and entertaining conversation with others (as opposed to a monologue with themselves) then there is no reason why we should suppress that on grounds of lack of posting or lack of intellectual content. Nothing says that people should have to entertain themselves and others by posting rather than chatting.

The better approach, i believe, is striking a balance between the two by closing off the SB during certain times in order to encourage posting while keeping it as option during off peak posting times.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

caskur

• Chop Champ
  • TRF's Flame Champion
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • caskur embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: Win vs BlandscapeTRF Flame ChampionWon - Title Event 2018100 Replies - Is Bra1n a Poofter?100 Replies - Bra1n200 Replies - Bra1n or Vixen100 Replies - Bra1n or Vixen500 Replies - Old Poo300 Replies - Old Poo200 Replies - Old Poo100 Replies - Old Poo100 Replies - Remembering AW aka Lisa - Bra1n100 Reply - Citizen E100 Reply Thread - Mr Pickles Hawaiian Budget VacationTRF ChampionWin vs Pickles 200 Reply Thread - New TRF Survivor Poll100 Reply Thread - New TRF Survivor Poll100 Reply Thread - Darling Sweet Gorgeous Sexy Bra1n100 Reply Thread - Sinister100 Reply Thread - Should caskur Leave TRF 4 Good?100 Reply Thread - Sum Cun'T's Never Change 100 Reply Thread - Bra1n's Bottom Teeth Challenge100 Reply Thread - Bra1ndead Up to Old Tricks100 Reply Thread - Open Call Out100 Reply Thread - Dear USA100 Reply Thread - Rose West200 Reply Thread - Bra1ndead100 Reply Thread - Bra1ndead100 Reply Thread - TTR Nail Challenge100 Reply Thread - Missing NSFW100 Reply Thread - The Prowler vs Vodafone..3rd Rail Weight Watchers Award200 Reply Thread - Big Willagee Swamp Event100 Reply Thread - Big Willagee Swamp Event100 Reply Thread - Where is Brain? 300 Reply Thread - Craving Cream Doughnuts200 Reply Thread - Craving Cream Doughnuts100 Reply Thread - Craving Cream Doughnuts100 Reply Thread - Cyclone Ita 100 Reply Thread - Callout NSFW100 Reply Thread - Big Willagee Swamp Event100+ Reply Thread - I Felt Lucky100+ Reply Thread - JFK The Lost Bullet100+ Reply Thread - Lightning - Addicted to..100+ Reply Thread - Lamenting V-Agent100+ Reply Thread -State Government to save $51m...200+ Reply Thread - Best Forum Poll100+ Reply Thread - Best Forum Poll100+ Reply Thread - caskur ~v~ V-Agent200+ Reply Thread - Callout Toefactor100+ Reply Thread - Callout Toefactor100+ Reply Thread - Nigger in New Zealand
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 09:38:55 PM »

the reason I post a smilie only now is

1. it shows me the last posts that are out of my sight
2. and to test if I can post.

that is why you're seeing me post a smilie... I don't want to go to effort of writing something intelligent and witty only to have it eaten up by the cyber-poltergeist that infects this forum.

I am coping but I am saddened by the fact I can no longer have immediate interaction with my troll friends and enemies...

that is my say, and that is all

tyia.

Vixen

• Administrator
  • Vixen embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Flea says she earns $175k100 Replies - Flea says she earns $175kWin vs Team Scoundrel200 Reply Thread - Anyone care that it was100 Reply Thread - Anyone care that it was100 Reply Thread - Flame Town dead?100 Reply Thread - Missing Malaysian airline100+ Reply Thread - Are we atheists?
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »

I don't think we should get rid of the shout box all together, but we should use it for quick chats, not hold whole conversations in it.  We should use the chat box for lengthy convos.

btw, my 10 other alts will be around later to vote.  Maybe we'll mix it up in the voting, who knows. ::)

Demoted? Or spat your dummy out to prove a point - again?  :lol:
(European Commission president Jean Claude Juncker warned Britain not to expect an 'amicable divorce,' adding: 'It was not exactly a tight love affair anyway.')

The Scoundrel

• Lover, Hero, Good Guy
  • Emperor
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.The Scoundrel has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Liverpool FC, Healthy food, Free Healthcare
  • Awards: 100 Reply Thread - The reg rep fuck up100 Reply Thread - As Usual. Rumours are rumours200 Reply Thread - Flamersaurus Rex100 Reply Thread - Flamersaurus Rex300 Reply Thread - Its 2014 guys200 Reply Thread - Its 2014 guys100 Reply Thread - Its 2014 guysWin - 4 x 4 Challenge match100 Reply Thread - Vicky dearest100 Reply Thread - Callout. Caskur and Serafina100+ Reply Thread - Put up Yer Dukes100+ Reply Thread - If your childs name was on ..
  • Breaking the hearts of spammers since 2000
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »

I don't want to go to effort of writing something intelligent and witty

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:   Stop! You're killing me!!
Our country will, I believe, sooner forgive an officer for attacking an enemy than for letting it alone

That, of course, depends on who you ask around here.

"Oh where will the homeless go when the bridges no longer have room for humanity?"

Johnny Storm

• Model Citizen, Zero Discipline!
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 279
  • Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - Names for cdub’s stag forum100 Replies - What are you having for Thanksgiving?100 Replies - Match the cars/vehicles to the membersTRF Flame ChampWin vs feral, Breakfall100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is so gay..100+ Reply Thread - My thoughts on Jorge Zimmerman2008 Fantasy Football Champ
  • WOOO WOOO!
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »

I got to disagree with kid.  This forum doesn't need more threads started....it needs more replies for the threads started.  I think a sb filters out things not threadworthy and a realtime convo is the happening thing (twitter, for instance).  I've heard the arguments for what kills forums, but having a good thread drop off the front page because uninteresting things are getting posted 20x a day will kill the forum faster than anything.

Vixen

• Administrator
  • Awards: 200 Replies - Flea says she earns $175k100 Replies - Flea says she earns $175kWin vs Team Scoundrel200 Reply Thread - Anyone care that it was100 Reply Thread - Anyone care that it was100 Reply Thread - Flame Town dead?100 Reply Thread - Missing Malaysian airline100+ Reply Thread - Are we atheists?
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:48 PM »

I got to disagree with kid.  This forum doesn't need more threads started....it needs more replies for the threads started.  I think a sb filters out things not threadworthy and a realtime convo is the happening thing (twitter, for instance).  I've heard the arguments for what kills forums, but having a good thread drop off the front page because uninteresting things are getting posted 20x a day will kill the forum faster than anything.

I didn't want to comment on that myself, but  :rotf:
(European Commission president Jean Claude Juncker warned Britain not to expect an 'amicable divorce,' adding: 'It was not exactly a tight love affair anyway.')

cardtrick

• Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 56
  • cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.cardtrick has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Reply - You Morons100 Reply Thread - Donald Trump100 Reply Thread - Evil Blood
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »

The SB is fun. I get bombarded with serious news all day, and, while in the past I liked to talk about elections and stuff, I find now that I come here for lighter fare, and to describe my clubfoot to Johnny and Fez.

JimmyBlonde

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »

Though, I have to ask why members of your management would want to deny the board the very thing that has helped to maintain a level of activity here?

I agree, you need something to keep the board ticking over until the next terrorist leader gets gunned down by a SEAL team. Keep it.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti

Vixen

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »

I agree, you need something to keep the board ticking over until the next terrorist leader gets gunned down by a SEAL team. Keep it.

(Presumably the punch line will be forthcoming .. ?

Cookie Monster

• Champion Flamer
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 171
  • Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Cookie Monster has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100 Replies - This is Yuo 2100 Replies - Once upon a time in MikeTXs bunghole200 Replies - The Perfect Photo100 Replies - The Perfect Photo100 Replies - Hey Benzover200 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Hurricane Irma gonna kill fags100 Replies - Question for the Mods ref alts100 Replies - Not that I am one to spread malicious gossip..100 Replies - So why is flea banned?100 Replies - 1,2,3,4 I declare a meme war100 Replies - To be blunt100 Replies - I have retired the Pufferfish100 Reply Thread - What occured at The Furnace100 Reply Thread - Gentlemen, I'm going to be needing your cock measurements100 Reply Thread - RIP Casker100 Reply Thread - any chance of unbanning flea?300 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse200 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - Vixens panel abuse100 Reply Thread - CO has been hackedTraffic Magnet Award - Most Online Ever: 374300+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread200+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - tHE official CAcker art thread100+ Reply Thread - attention useless fucktards100+ Reply Thread - Is it legal?
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »

Your hairy upper lip will do Growler.

JimmyBlonde

• Internet Gypsy
  • Imperator
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.JimmyBlonde has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread -   	 Globalisation and the effect on timber equines
  • Textual Mercenary
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »

(Presumably the punch line will be forthcoming .. ?

No punchline. The SB keeps people active. There comes a time when most of the big issued have already been flogged to death by all and sundry so a forum needs something light to keep people posting something until the next controversial topic comes along. I'd probably headline one of the flash games on the front page too and put up a monthly scoreboard just to get some rivalries and commentary going.

By the way, did you ever manage to beat Bra1n at chess Vix?
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

-Michael Parenti
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 42 queries.