ThirdRailForum

• November 20, 2017, 06:33:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I Support Obama Over McCain  (Read 2670 times)

plus minus reset

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 390
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Fan of: Robert Mueller
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
Why I Support Obama Over McCain
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:47:58 PM »

Let's start with the most basic reason. The latest polls show that around 90% of Americans think that the country is headed in the wrong direction (i.e., we're in the shit tank). It's no wonder why both Obama and McCain have been staking their campaign on change. The question is who is most likely to deliver on that promise and who is most likely just saying that to get elected?

Look no further than their records. Despite McCain's bitter tirade to Obama in the final debate that he isnt George Bush and futile efforts to run through the list of the 10 percent of the times that he voted against the Bush administration in Congress, the unavoidable fact is that he agreed with Bush's policies 90% of the time.

To this day he still champions Bush's war in Iraq started over WMDs that didnt exist despite our country's economy being in a downward tailspin and not having a clue that the 9-11 attack and multiple terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center were economic attacks on the U.S. as much as anything designed to paralyze our economy.

Like the myopic idiots that they are, Bush and McCain are playing right into it, pissing away over a trillion dollars from our economy into an over the top reactionary war that is sucking money from schools, roads, transportation systems, energy solutions, cures for diseases and a host of other things we desperately need.

When McCain and many others thought it was politically expedient to invade a country that had nothing to do with terror attacks, Obama had the sense to go against the popular sentiment and oppose it. Seven years, 4000 dead soldiers, 30,000 wounded soldiers and a trillion dollars later with no end in site under Bush/McCain, he was proven right. If anyone deserves to fly a Mission Accomplished banner as a publicity stunt, it's al-qaeda after what they got these goofballs in charge to do to our own country.

McCain also supports the Bush tax cuts for the rich and it's no wonder considering that it just came out this week that his wife made over $4 million last year and over $6 million the year before and paid over 1 million in taxes. Meanwhile, the Bush tax cuts for those who can most afford to pay for their war and everything else have increased our national debt to a staggering 10 trillion dollars. I read that works out to something like $400,000 for every man, woman and child in order to get it to near zero.

This, as Exxon makes $40 billion a year as profit after their tax lawyers use every legal loophole possible to cut their taxes. Why the hell not, let's let them make even more money under McCain! I don't understand how anyone can support that kind of corporate greed to the detriment of our country's economy.

When Bill Clinton left office and Bush took over in 2001 (and obviously before the Bush tax cuts), the projections of the Government Accounting Office were that we were on track to have a $5 trillion SURPLUS in ten years! But no, McCain thinks raising taxes for anyone is a bad idea. Even when you have a 10 trillion dollar debt that we have to pay interest on like a maxed out credit card to the detriment of other necessary things that we can no longer afford and despite wanting to keep spending $2.5 billion every week in an Iraqi bog "to win" the war which he knows how to do, my friends. What exactly it is we get by winning, I still dont know.

I can keep going on and on about this like McCain/Bush's not meeting with adversaries policy, "the surge", energy, ect because as I said before, he likes to talk about the 10% of the times he didnt go along with the program, well I can go on 9 times longer on the 90% of the times when he did. Those are just two critical issues in the past 8 years dealing with foreign policy and domestic policy which has landed us where we are today. It goes without saying the Obama supports neither. McCain still does.

So who is more likely to change course from the disaster of the last 8 years? Unless youre a retard, that's a no-brainer. Who is more likely to be able to handle complex issue which might arise? The Harvard Law and Columbia grad who graduated at the top of his class and made history in the process or the fool who graduated 894 out of 899 in his class and his PTA mom sidekick who despite running for the highest office couldnt name a single publication which she reads or cite a single Supreme Court decision other than Roe?

The way they have conducted their campaigns speaks volumes about the choices, their decision making, their judgment and their ability to deal with issues. McCain's campaign has been nothing short of a disgrace. In perhaps the defining moment of his campaign, he plucked an obscure political neophyte to be his running mate for nothing more than to appease the conservative whack jobs of his party and get their votes as well as some undecided Hillary supports. To hell with the country if he chokes on a pretzel and dies. Machiavelli would have been proud.

For all the hoopla about her in the Republican Convention, it turns out that the suspicions were right - she has no fucking business even being mentioned for national office. She knows little to nothing about most issues and cant even talk about them competently without looking down at her index cards as was painfully demonstrated in her interviews with Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson. Is it any wonder why her campaign has not allowed her to have a single news conference or made her available for more than 2-3 legit interviews while Joe Biden has done over 100 in the same periond? What a farce.

Putting aside the attack speeches and worn slogans she repeats every day without understanding their meaning, the fact remains that McCain chose someone who is more qualified to host Entertainment Tonight than be Vice President or President of the U.S and commander in chief of anything more than the Mayberry Police Dept. Or better yet, the one in Wasilla.

On the other hand, from the beginning Obama was viewed as an upstart with fresh ideas who had an uphill battle to unseat the prohibited favorite Hillary Clinton. He fought a tough campaign with the help of a good staff and demonstrated an impressive ability to raise funds and outlasted Clinton.

Throughout it, he showed eloquence and a firm grasp of the issues. He never once committed any major stumbles or had to apologize about something he said. He didn't have frantic moments when the pressure was turned up where he announced he was going to suspend his campaign to tackle another problem. No, he was able to handle multiple issues unlike McCain. He has appealed to voters of all races, religions and party affiliations including me - Im still a registered Republican.

In fact, he has appealed to people all over the world as his speech in Germany where he drew over 200,000 people showed during a time when American prestige abroad is at an all-time low thanks in no small part to Bush and the policies which McCain agreed with 90% of the time. Can anyone imagine a European running for Prime Minister drawing over 200,000 Americans for a speech in the U.S.? That's how they view him in Europe.

Much has been made about Obama's inexperience and thin resume from the same people who think that Pain is a wonderful choice but to me what counts more than experience is skill, intelligence, analytical ability, being able to handle and make difficult choices in pressure situations. Hell, George Bush has more experience than either of them. Experience doesnt do any good if youre a fucking idiot who thinks that god wants you to invade a country or just can't see though the haze of your own stupidity and ineptness.

Obama has exhibited more than enough qualities to indicate competency, success and mastery over whatever he tackles to erase any red herring about needing a wealth of experience to do the job. He has had to fight and claw every step of the way to get to where he is and there is no way he would have accomplished what has if he wasn't an outstanding individual with special talents.

Just the fact that he is black and was poor and the challenges that brings to get an education, to get into and succeed in law school and excel in them and graduate near the top, higher than others who are among the brightest in this country is an outstanding achievement that 99 percent of people in his shoes would not be able to accomplish. It's hard enough doing that being white and rich.

He also is smart enough to align himself with bright people in areas which arent his strong suit - like picking foreign policy guru Joe Biden to be his running mate instead of Marge the church secretary/school board member or Irving the mohel /Mayor in order to appeal to a segment of the population.

He's indicated the willingness to have people with different points of view in his administration or at least work with them, as he did when he put presidential politics aside a couple of weeks ago to support Bush's bailout plan which McCain turned into a frantic side show by suspending his campaign, wanting to cancel the debate, doing nothing constructive, going back to the debate despite no agreement, voting for it when it finally passed, then saying he hoped the President would veto it. Not to mention that a few weeks prior, he was telling his Kool Aid drinking friends that the fundamentals of the economy were sound while they all nodded and applauded.

Nice leadership, John. During that polical circus, Obama remained cool and calm about the plan, flew to Washington and got a majority of his party to back the President (unlike McCain and the Replicants who only got about 33% to support it), insisted on having the debate, and didnt need to act like a drama queen to get the job done.

Hopefully Obama's willingness to work with knowledgeable Republicans will be underscored by General Colin Powell on Meet the Press, Sunday. Something that we havent had in the past 8 years.

That, my friends, is why I support Barrack Obama and think he will make a great president. Actually, it's only a few of the reasons. Even if I didn't like him and thought he'd be a horrible choice like say, John Kerry, I'd still vote for him like I did John Kerry last time because we just need to make a U-turn from the direction we're headed in and head in the opposite direction faster than a bat out of hell. We need to try something drastically different than the last 8 years and a 10% change from it just isn't going to cut it.

Please vote!

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
  • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
  • Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Needing constant admiration from others
  • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  • Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  • Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  • Pompous and arrogant demeanor

KingChile

• Yellowbeard
  • Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • KingChile probably just rolled in here.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Projectile Vomit vs Caskur voting100+ Reply Thread - Flametown : past it's used by date?
Re: Why I Support Obama Over McCain
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 04:12:34 PM »

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
  • THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.THE BRA1N has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: 500 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..300 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..200 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - Eisbaer the drifter..100 Replies - My Field Trip to Flame Truth100 Replies - Countdown to Fleas Ban Expiration200 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - So what did I miss100 Replies - An ultimatum from Sting2016 Fantasy Football Champ100 Replies - Anyone else miss V-Agent?100 Replies - Lets Get Mr.Pickles Hyped to Post Again100 Replies - ATTN: Mini/NA300 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..200 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Jan 1 is Use Your..100 Replies - Dullard of the Year Final - Goats vs Sting100 Replies - Forum Dullard Poll, The Finals100 Replies - TR Forum Dullard Poll100 Reply Thread -  	TRF MVP Poster Ratings - March100 Reply Thread - Caskur PM Dump Thread100 Reply Thread - Is Cookie a Potential Serial Killer?100 Reply Thread -Lets Have Lunch100 Reply Thread - Posters youd like to hear from..200 Reply Thread - Another war is..100 Reply Thread - Another war..200+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Happy New Year100+ Reply Thread - Im Going to London2010 World Cup Picks Winner2012 NFL Picks Champ100+ Reply Thread - Question: Should Prostitution be Legalized?100+ Reply Thread - Heres what the right wing rhetoric does to people
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:37:58 PM »

As was feared by the McCain people, Gen Colin Powell endorsed Obama Sunday on Meet the Press. I'm amazed at how he touched on many of the very same points that I touched on here but then again, we're very close in the political continuum. Here are some excepts from what he had to say:

In the case of Mr. McCain, I found that he was a little unsure as to deal with the economic problems that we were having and almost every day there was a different approach to the problem.  And that concerned me, sensing that he didn't have a complete grasp of the economic problems that we had.  And I was also concerned at the selection of Governor Palin.  She's a very distinguished woman, and she's to be admired; but at the same time, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president.  And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Senator McCain made.

On the Obama side, I watched Mr. Obama and I watched him during this seven-week period.  And he displayed a steadiness, an intellectual curiosity, a depth of knowledge and an approach to looking at problems like this and picking a vice president that, I think, is ready to be president on day one. And also, in not just jumping in and changing every day, but showing intellectual vigor.  I think that he has a, a definitive way of doing business that would serve us well.  I also believe that on the Republican side over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party and Mr. McCain has become narrower and narrower.  Mr. Obama, at the same time, has given us a more inclusive, broader reach into the needs and aspirations of our people. He's crossing lines--ethnic lines, racial lines, generational lines.  He's thinking about all villages have values, all towns have values, not just small towns have values.

And I've also been disappointed, frankly, by some of the approaches that Senator McCain has taken recently, or his campaign ads, on issues that are not really central to the problems that the American people are worried about. This Bill Ayers situation that's been going on for weeks became something of a central point of the campaign.  But Mr. McCain says that he's a washed-out terrorist.  Well, then, why do we keep talking about him?  And why do we have these robocalls going on around the country trying to suggest that, because of this very, very limited relationship that Senator Obama has had with Mr. Ayers, somehow, Mr. Obama is tainted.  What they're trying to connect him to is some kind of terrorist feelings.  And I think that's inappropriate.

I'm also troubled by, not what Senator McCain says, but what members of the party say. And it is permitted to be said such things as, "Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim." Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim, he's a Christian.  He's always been a Christian.  But the really right answer is, what if he is?  Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America.  Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president?  Yet, I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, "He's a Muslim and he might be associated terrorists." This is not the way we should be doing it in America.

But which is the president that we need now?  Which is the individual that serves the needs of the nation for the next period of time?  And I come to the conclusion that because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities--and we have to take that into account--as well as his substance--he has both style and substance--he has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president.  I think he is a transformational figure.  He is a new generation coming into the world--onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama.

He speaks authoritatively.  He speaks with great insight into the challenges we're facing of a military and political and economic nature.  And he is surrounding himself, I'm confident, with people who'll be able to give him the expertise that he, at the moment, does not have.  And so I have watched an individual who has intellectual vigor and who dives deeply into issues and approaches issues with a very, very steady hand.  And so I'm confident that he will be ready to take on these challenges on January 21st.

It isn't easy for me to disappoint Senator McCain in the way that I have this morning, and I regret that.  But I strongly believe that at this point in America's history, we need a president that will not just continue, even with a new face and with some changes and with some maverick aspects, who will not just continue, basically, the policies that we have been following in recent years.  I think we need a transformational figure.  I need--think we need a president who is a generational change.  And that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama.  Not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Senator John McCain.

Very insightful comments from the most respected military general in the US.
  • Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
  • Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them

Deviouz1

• Governor
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »

sorry to interrupt here but shouldnt there be a minimum content standard we could adopt somehow? maybe its just me but i dont see how running around agreeing with each other is going to attract anyone or further the discussion in any way. i highly doubt BRA1N needs anyone following up his posts with a handjob and a cheesy grin. i was under the impression this forum was to discuss things from different points of view and argue about thier differences and why "the other guy's" opinion is wrong with a quick snippet regarding the odd sexual deviations his mother gets into thrown in for good measure. not

Poster A: "This is the right way"
Poster B "omg youre SO right BRA1N <gurglegurgle> here let me blow you some more <gurglegurgle>"

i mean i would understand if there was something interesting to add in agreement or another piece of information relevant to the topic but just basically holding up a sign that says

"I AGREE WITH YOU"

somehow doesnt seem to fit. but again, maybe its just me. i still think its pretty fucking retarded but whatever.

i found a clip of the quotes BRA1N produced for those who want to hear it as well as read it.

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.  This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

RizenPhoeniz

• Quaestor
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RizenPhoeniz probably just rolled in here.
  • Relentless, Focused, Determined
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:17:27 AM »

his PTA mom sidekick who despite running for the highest office couldnt name a single publication which she reads or cite a single Supreme Court decision other than Roe?

That's because she's a fundamentalist, all she needs is a bible and all she cares about is what other women do with their wombs.

And that's been the problem with way too many "low information" voters for way too long. They vote the 3 G's -GAYS, GUNS, and GOD- and by doing so continually vote against their own self interest.  The other problem has been that as long as the economy has been humming along many Americans haven't really gave a shit as long as nothing affected what was thier's. Now that they are losing their jobs and seeing their 401k's cut in half they are waking up to this holy fuck moment and wondering what the hell happen. Honestly, as a country we deserve the pile of  :turd: we currently have our foot stuck in. Now if we collectively have the courage to go in a new direction and it works. Well then we'll also be deserving of the prosperity that follows.

KingChile

• Yellowbeard
  • Quaestor
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Projectile Vomit vs Caskur voting100+ Reply Thread - Flametown : past it's used by date?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:36:52 AM »

sorry to interrupt here but shouldnt there be a minimum content standard we could adopt somehow? maybe its just me but i dont see how running around agreeing with each other is going to attract anyone or further the discussion in any way. i highly doubt BRA1N needs anyone following up his posts with a handjob and a cheesy grin. i was under the impression this forum was to discuss things from different points of view and argue about thier differences and why "the other guy's" opinion is wrong with a quick snippet regarding the odd sexual deviations his mother gets into thrown in for good measure. not

Poster B "omg youre SO right BRA1N <gurglegurgle> here let me blow you some more <gurglegurgle>"

i mean i would understand if there was something interesting to add in agreement or another piece of information relevant to the topic but just basically holding up a sign that says

"I AGREE WITH YOU"

somehow doesnt seem to fit. but again, maybe its just me. i still think its pretty fucking retarded but whatever.

i found a clip of the quotes BRA1N produced for those who want to hear it as well as read it.

Deviouz1

• Governor
  • Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.Deviouz1 yearns for more subjective praise.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government.  This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:18 PM »

"I AGREE WITH YOU"

That's a fair point. We don't want to turn this into a mutual courtesy handjob or tit suck party every time someone says something that you agree with though admittedly there are times when i read something and have nothing to add to it but I just want to express that it was hilarious or captured my thoughts with a smiley.

Nor do we want to use a frivolous post to turn it into an excuse to start flaming a poster for being a dipshit and getting off-topic that way.

What I suggest is that people use the karma system to give props and if they want to do it in a post, at least add a line or two of why or what it is that they agree with.

Deviouz1

• Governor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »

Nor do we want to use a frivolous post to turn it into an excuse to start flaming a poster for being a dipshit and getting off-topic that way.

What I suggest is that people use the karma system to give props and if they want to do it in a post, at least add a line or two of why or what it is that they agree with.

fair enough.
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

KingChile

• Yellowbeard
  • Quaestor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 08:31:45 PM »

Quote from: Deviouz1 link=topic=3[img
2.msg225#msg225 date=1224526561]
fair enough.

I thought your position was that agreeing with another poster's opinion on here is wrong yet here you are doing exactly the same thing. It is my right to agree or disagree with anyone here and being a debate forum I welcome you disagreeing with me but please stick to your own principles if you are going to pull me up for something. Try not to be a hypocrite. If you genuinely want a debate then create a point of difference.

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
  • Contestation probably just rolled in here.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The American Health system100+ Reply Thread - Addiction is it a disease
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »

Attacking Afghanistan was tactically a good move IMO and signaled to the world "Attack us and we will fuck you up the ass with a hot missile"

Going to war in Iraq was a whole different matter  and I believe it had little to do with 9-11. However now the military are there its a matter of getting them out in a manner that doesn't show defeat or abandonment. When the US and its allies abandoned Afghanistan  after kicking the USSR out it created a mess and created al-qaeda. Well actually the CIA created al-qaeda as a fighting force against the USSR but thats a whole new debate of right and wrong. It was how they were left in the shit when it suited the west that created the problems.

Unfortunately Iraq was attacked and now who ever takes over must deal with it. The good old USA has many problems and IMO electing a colored President is going to go a long way in solving some of them.

Its going to be a hell of a long road back and hopefully the people will allow Obama if elected at least two terms in office to prove himself.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »

Attacking Afghanistan was tactically a good move IMO and signaled to the world "Attack us and we will fuck you up the ass with a hot missile"

Going to war in Iraq was a whole different matter  and I believe it had little to do with 9-11. However now the military are there its a matter of getting them out in a manner that doesn't show defeat or abandonment. When the US and its allies abandoned Afghanistan  after kicking the USSR out it created a mess and created al-qaeda. Well actually the CIA created al-qaeda as a fighting force against the USSR but thats a whole new debate of right and wrong. It was how they were left in the shit when it suited the west that created the problems.

Unfortunately Iraq was attacked and now who ever takes over must deal with it. The good old USA has many problems and IMO electing a colored President is going to go a long way in solving some of them.

Its going to be a hell of a long road back and hopefully the people will allow Obama if elected at least two terms in office to prove himself.

I agree with most of that. I think the root of a lot of our problems is when Bush took it upon himself to champion a war against Iraq using 9-11 as cover just like they used it to pass the politically named Patriot Act that chopped away at our civil liberties.

They we're the axis of evil country with the evil dictator arming himself with the weapons of mass destruction to give it to terrorist or use it to attack Israel with that had to be stopped. Sound familiar?

Bush is doing the same exact thing with Iran. A country which has never in it's history started a war or has the capability to even strike the U.S.. Supporting others in another thing but then again, we, the US, do the same as was just mentioned regarding Afghanistan and the USSR.

The promises from the Bush administration were that the war would be quick, cost no more than $50 billion and be paid from Iraqi oil money. Seven years and a trillion dollars later, we're still there spending all that money on it instead on our own infrastructure. Why?

When it was evident that there were no WMD's why didnt they just get the fuck out? They lost any moral justification to invade the country when that happened. The thing is that most people dont understand how interrelated things are and the problems that war has created for the US, both at home and around the world. From the price of gas, to giving rise to socialist/communist dictators in third world countries like Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bolivia and others which will potentially be a thorn on our side for years to come.

Not to mention countries like North Korea who are paranoid to begin with and now have more reason than ever to fear a US invasion after what we pulled in Iraq, Afghanistan and are doing almost daily in Pakistan. Bush has given all of them the justification to arm themselves to the teeth including nuclear weapons.

Yes, it will take a hell of an effort and some time to get the ship headed in the right direction again but I think Obama is the perfect person at the right time to do it. The only thing that worries me about him is his safety. I sure dont want to see a President Biden in the next 8 years.

Deviouz1

• Governor
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 12:18:25 AM »

I thought your position was that agreeing with another poster's opinion on here is wrong

youre not particularly good at this are you? i never said that.

It is my right to agree or disagree with anyone here and being a debate forum I welcome you disagreeing with me but please stick to your own principles if you are going to pull me up for something. Try not to be a hypocrite.

im not being a hypocrite. the difference in the situation is this. i asked brain a question, he answered it and i asserted that i understood that answer. you, on the other hand gave him a textual handjob.

If you genuinely want a debate then create a point of difference.

we just had it and you just lost.

Quote from: Contestation
Going to war in Iraq was a whole different matter and I believe it had little to do with 9-11.

oh it had something to do with 9-11. make no mistake about it. the only reason it was allowed is that the people were still so freaked out that they basically put a blindfold on themselves and told GWB to do whatever he thought was right. as i see it basically what happened is that we attacked a country initially under the pretense of saddam and al quaeda being tight like siamese twins, had conspired with each other and carried out 9/11 as some sort of joint effort bullshit and that iraq was producing WMD's which of course put the fear of god in all the evangelicals, soccer moms, and rednecks (if youve ever gone to the south youll know that once they get a "notion" in those deceptively thick skulls you cant beat it out of them with a tire iron)  also which was summarily proven false. from there it went to "saddam harbors terrorists"(ironic considering our very presence there is the reason there are terrorist suicide bombers and such), after that got old it seems to me it was "about bringing democracy to Iraq" as if this nations mission is to overthrow legitimate if not particularly good, governments and replace them with our own. i dont recall there being anything in the constitution or anything else that pertains to the foundation of this country that says we can invade another country under the pretense of "spreading democracy" and NOW its "well, we cant really leave NOW, what will the country do after we leave?"  hrm... those fuckers have been around for a long, LONG time without our help, im sure theyll figure out a way to manage.

However now the military are there its a matter of getting them out in a manner that doesn't show defeat or abandonment. When the US and its allies abandoned Afghanistan after kicking the USSR out it created a mess and created al-qaeda. Well actually the CIA created al-qaeda as a fighting force against the USSR but thats a whole new debate of right and wrong. It was how they were left in the shit when it suited the west that created the problems.

i dont agree. the root of this problem and the cause of all the problems we have regarding the middle east dating back not just to 9-11 or  the 80 fiasco or the 70', not even the 60's or 50's, were talking the end of ww2 when the brits and the americans decided to give the jews present day israel. a place they were kicked out of .... like fucking forever ago. hundreds if not thousands of years ago. this IS a holy war regardless of what people want to try and mask it with. and not just from the muslim side of things, the christians are right in there snarling and gnashing their Fangs of Righteousness with religious fervor. theyre ALL fucking nutbags in my opinion.

my only worry is what happens if one of those Superchristian clinic bombers actually gets to him? you know those fuckers are bat-shit crazy, look at paul hill and his legion of bible thumping maniacs. i wouldnt be surprised if Dixie rises up and says "we told yall if a nigger ev'r got 'lected  to the presdints office of these here YOUnited states of 'merca that the South would Rise Again and throw off the tethers of the War of Northern Agression. and good lord could you imagine the riots? LA? gone. Detroit? gone. DC? probably gone, theres some CRAZY fuckin niggers in DC and a LOT of em. and all of em PISSED the fuck off cause aint it like ameriKKKa to keep the "Black Man Down". 
~Thomas Jefferson 1813

KingChile

• Yellowbeard
  • Quaestor
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 01:21:35 AM »

im not being a hypocrite. the difference in the situation is this. i asked brain a question, he answered it and i asserted that i understood that answer. you, on the other hand gave him a textual handjob.

No I didn't. Textual means the written word.I posted a gif and gave him and you the clap...I recognise that applause is a completely different kind of "hand job" to the ones you are used to giving out.

To BRA1N I applauded implying agreement with his well constructed post.

To you I was applauding your smallminded effort to making a big deal out of nothing.

Quote from: Deviouz1
we just had it and you just lost.

No. I agreed with Bra1n and so did you on another occasion. You are a hypocrite, you proved it and I highlighted the fact. You didn't need to try and explain and justify, I already established the fact that you suck eggs. You have one measure for others and a different one for yourself.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 02:12:05 AM »

Ok guys, you both made your points which will help to shape how we treat those types of post in the future.

Let's get back to discussing topics and if you want to keep flaming each other let me encourage you to take it to FC.

Contestation

• You think?
  • Censor
  • Contestation probably just rolled in here.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - The American Health system100+ Reply Thread - Addiction is it a disease
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »

It appears that the whole election is more is a popularity race then one that is fort on policy. Alos now that there has been the first of what some say will be many assassination attempts how do you feel about voting for someone that will most likely

1. Get killed while in office

2. Spark civil unrest 

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 12:43:42 AM »

I've predicted Obama wouldn't make it through to the inauguration. The closer we get to November 4th, the more and more I feel like Obama is the JFK of our generation. He REALLY wants to see change for the better and a lot of people don't take to change well.

That said, I'm quite comfortable with Biden as a leader.

He is a passionate man who speaks from his heart, that is the only troubling thing about him in my opinion. I do not think that is too much of a hindrance when it comes to being POTUS, it will keep us scratching our heads perhaps. He truly understands the issues; even better than Obama, he's just as well intentioned, and I do not feel he needs someone to feed him (aka a handler) talking points before an interview or speech. Nor would he likely allow that sort of behavior. He has been around the hill long enough and is more intelligent than his veneer would have you believe.

This race has been turned into a popularity contest by the republicans because the candidate they pushed to the top of the heap is an extremely inadequate individual and not fit to tie his own shoes and still can't figure out velcro. The republicans are squirming, their power is being torn away from them in huge chunks of throbbing bloodied flesh from both the inside and out. The "little guy" with the brain has been shaken out of a long slumber and has been forced to open his eyes and recognize the very fabric of our system has been bastardized beyond recognition and is even willing to take a gamble and drop all the power to one side and allow a bit of well thought socialistic elements into play to get us back on the right track. Handled with kid gloves and guided in the right direction, more government intervention may prove beneficial to our situation. It's going to be a long and winding road for this country to get back on its feet and running smooth again.

The republicans are scared. They're very, very panicked; as they should be. They won't rest until the nation is redivided like good little sheep, with their antiquated simplemindedness and "conservative" ideas and notions of class and patriotism. It seriously makes me feel very anxious about the ensuing turmoil we will experience during the next year, regardless of who gets into office.  :sad:

Johnny Storm

• Model Citizen, Zero Discipline!
  • Augustus
  • Reputation Power: 292
  • Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.Johnny Storm has a place in the TRF Hall of Fame.
  • Awards: TRF Flame ChampWin vs feral, Breakfall100 Reply Thread - Cookie Monster is so gay..100+ Reply Thread - My thoughts on Jorge Zimmerman2008 Fantasy Football Champ
  • WOOO WOOO!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 08:16:15 AM »

You think after Reagan got shot and the erosion of civil liberties the past 7 years anyone has a chance in hell in assassinating a POTUS or viable candidate?  Get real.  Obama was untouchable months ago....now he's a human Fort Knox.   

You hate us because you ain't us, son!

princess of pt

• Senatore
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • princess of pt embraces anonimity and disabled reputation.
  • Awards: 100+ Reply Thread - Should congress
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 08:54:07 AM »

You think after Reagan got shot and the erosion of civil liberties the past 7 years anyone has a chance in hell in assassinating a POTUS or viable candidate?  Get real.  Obama was untouchable months ago....now he's a human Fort Knox.   

I dunno Torchie. Where there is a will, there is a way. The hate and fear tactics being pedaled by the GOP these past few months is unsettling to me. It has recreated an unspoken tension and ignorant extremists from all "sides" are boiling under the surface. The position that McCain has put us in with these desperate pleas, behaviors, and demands to question affiliations is very, very underhanded and was extremely unnecessary and the antithesis of American, when you consider the bigger picture. We are really going to have a domestic problem on our hands regardless of who is elected.

THE BRA1NTopic starter

• Menace to Piety
  • Augustus
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 10:27:14 AM »

Now that he has it in the bag, Obama should dump Biden and get a Mexican Jew for his VP pick.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.808 seconds with 40 queries.